Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 11:43 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Wegmans will fix this.
I hope you're not being sarcastic, you run the risk of the wrath of 10,000 upstate NYers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 12:43 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
I can see why it's tempting for FM to re-do themselves as a hybrid of HT and WF. The risk is that they tick off their established customer base and then fail to attract enough new customers who buy the commodity items in large enough volumes to make up the difference. Good luck with that, but my guess is that it's the only thing they know how to try -- other than face the reality that they've over-expanded.

I've learned from 40 years of business is that if you stand in the middle of the road, you will get run over.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:16 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,966 times
Maybe they will relocate to Cary Towne Center?

Old 11-06-2016, 01:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I hope you're not being sarcastic, you run the risk of the wrath of 10,000 upstate NYers.
Has that ever stopped me before?

But, seriously... I do think Wegmans will help in this particular instance.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:25 PM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Meanwhile, despite the struggles of higher-end gourmet/specialty spots like Southern Season, Whole Foods and Fresh Market, Aldis is "killing it"; not my words.... Bloomberg.com. Also, this http://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-aldi-is-the-grocery-store-of-the-future-cm520301 I thought the economy was "recovered"????.

Hard to argue with 1.29/gallon milk and 0.39/dozen eggs though. It is like a mini-wharehouse club for your weekly or 2x/weekly "in and out" needs....without the membership fee, bulk buying or crowds. They offer mostly their own brands and just wheel the stuff out on pallets and cut open the boxes to let you help yourself (to keep costs down).

Old 11-06-2016, 01:35 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Yep but shopping at Fresh Market and shopping at Aldis.Two different worlds....

Old 11-06-2016, 03:40 PM

598 posts, read 333,355 times
Aldi isn't all that different from Trader Joe's aside from the less polished image (and probably a much smaller selection of "foodie-friendly" items unless that's changed in recent years). So it makes sense Aldi would be doing well. In my experience, Aldi is cheap and decent.

Regarding Fresh Market - are they still carrying a good amount of the high quality stuff? What about their bulk coffee? It looks like they carry some good varieties and the price isn't bad either, but I haven't had a chance to try much of it yet. Hopefully that won't go downhill. I also like that they sell Root Candles. I don't think it's necessarily bad that they sell everyday products alongside the fancier things as long as they don't get rid of the fun stuff altogether.

I was at their Durham location a few days ago and a lady in front of me was buying a bunch of stuff that included Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner, if I remember correctly, so maybe their plan is working.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:23 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Let's agree to disagree. Imo Trader Joe's is a fun shopping trip. Aldis is like picking up rations in a Soviet supermarket.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:32 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Let's agree to disagree. Imo Trader Joe's is a fun shopping trip. Aldis is like picking up rations in a Soviet supermarket.
Haaaa totally agree. FM is a blast for me for the same reason...surprises, random new items, local options, etc. Shopping a store like that is enjoyable. Aldi....no thanks, just not for me. There was a time where I would have dug it, not anymore.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:20 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,671,627 times
I dislike big grocery stores (except Weggies) and, with only two of us at home now, Trader Joe's has everything we want as far as food. I like the seasonal choices (although the pumpkin craze is a bit overdone!) and we never get bored there with new choices coming in all the time.

We used to go to Fresh Market in its old location on Kildaire Farm but now TJ's is closer.
We seldom bought in bulk but I did like some of the cookies, desserts and speciality salads.

When Wegmans comes, we will definitely go there regularly as we have missed it. The deli (subs!) and prepared food choices are fantastic. Also, the flower shop is awesome and reasonably priced. Nothing compares . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary