Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times

Advertisements

I thought IKEA deliberately selects locations in industrial parks, and the like - for tax purposes but also some reason I'm forgetting.

I don't see the middle of Cary happening, but I'm there wherever it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:54 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing until someone pointed out the easy access to 40. It's a long ways away wherever (and if ever) it winds up.

In the meantime my Poang chair/ottoman will be delivered today!

Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Ikea tends to build in suburban areas, but favors access to a major road/highway.

From a northern Raleigh standpoint, where there is considerable growth, I could see an Ikea on Triangle Town Blvd, near the Walmart. Brier Creek could be a good location, also.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:13 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
I thought IKEA deliberately selects locations in industrial parks, and the like - for tax purposes but also some reason I'm forgetting.

No real different tax wise, unless they take some contaminated site and clean it up maybe. They do need a whole lot of land though. Then again, the one in DC is at Potomac Mills.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
No real different tax wise, unless they take some contaminated site and clean it up maybe. They do need a whole lot of land though. Then again, the one in DC is at Potomac Mills.
That particular store at Potomac Mills used to be one of the anchor tenants inside the mall before they built the standalone store that is visible from the highway. They do like to be in high shopping areas, again, with access to major roads/highways.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:29 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:

The Atlanta location does not seem to fit this model. It is not far from the Interstate, but definitely nothing like the Charlotte location. A site near CTC would certainly be easier to get to vs Atlanta, though I agree a location near I-40/I-95 would seem to be a better fit.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:00 AM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
What about being off of a toll road? If so, then 540 would open up western Cary, Apex and Holly Springs. Maybe Ikea would validate your toll charge if you bought something.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:19 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
The use of the word "retailer" makes me doubt it's IKEA. Now if they had said major home furnishings store I'd get my hopes up.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:02 PM

"Retailer" covers a wide range of store types of which, Ikea is one. Grocery stores and drug stores are also considered to be part of the retail industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the balance
"But the term "retailer" doesn't just apply to large stores; another example of a retailer is the small family-operated pharmacy in your town or your local grocery store.

In general, retailers don't manufacture the goods they sell. There are some exceptions to that rule, of course, but usually the retailer is just the final link in a supply chain that gets a product to a customer. The difference between retailers and wholesalers is that while retailers sell directly to consumers, wholesalers sell their goods to other businesses. "
https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-a-retailer-2890386

Last edited by reds37win; 11-10-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 12:40 PM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
Perhaps, but the fact is, when people see the word retailer they think Walmart, Macy's, Nordstrom's, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary