Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
If you're dead set on moving to Durham be sure you have a gun. Durham is the murder capital of NC.

Not even close.

Murder Rates in North Carolina

Old 11-16-2016, 10:38 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Everything in your original post happens here

it's really very exciting
Sometimes we shut everything down on Saturdays too just to switch things up. Fridays are for fun hats when we really want to get all sassy. Meowwww.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:37 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasleta View Post
I was supposed to get a job in another city, but the company had a hiring freeze so I am forced to accept a distant second choice in Durham. I have questions that were not readily answered by Google searches. I know it is not possible for all of the below to be true (hopefully none), but I need to ask tough questions to get at the truth.

- Given Durham's pride in its tobacco history, do the restaurants allow smoking?
http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=No...ic+Smoking+Law

- Given what happened to the Lacrosse players at Duke, with Mike Nifong and the university hellbent on hiding evidence and prosecuting the players, are whites not welcome in Durham?
http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=Mike+Nifong
- Given the prevalence of leftist politics, are children forced to use gender-free bathrooms?
http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=No...a+Bathroom+Law
- Are Walmarts available in the area, or do leftist local governments outlaw them?
http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=Durham+Walmart
- Do local governments outlaw plastic bags?
No. Is this even a thing?
- Do Trump supporters get their car windows broken?
Couldn't tell you.
- Is there persecution of Catholics?
No, although I did have a girl stop dating me because I was Catholic. It didn't bother my protestant Fiance though.
- Is there persecution of families that have more than two children?
Is this even a thing in some places?
- As elsewhere in the South, do whites call themselves "conservative" and then let their daughters run around in cutoff jeans and halter tops?
If you went to a tailgate at an ACC Football game, you would get an entirely different opinion if you were out to breakfast with the after-church crowd. I haven't noticed it much outside of a concert or night out at the bars.
- As elsewhere in the South, are public schools equated with black schools?
No.
- Among conservative whites, is there intense peer pressure to home school?
Maybe in some really conservative churches. But no.
- Are there large Asian supermarkets in the area, or do mobs burn them down?
Yes, there are many Asian markets. A handful that I can name off the top of my head, and I don't go to Asian supermarkets.
- Does everything shut down on Sundays?
Small family businesses are often closed on Sundays.
I'm not here to read the riot act, I just need to know the reality. There are plenty of cities that fit at least some of the characteristics above. Los Angeles fits about half of these.
Your questions are obnoxious and offensive, but I did my best to answer for you. Google could have told you lots of your answers in about 8 minutes.

Move to Cary, and commute. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by JONOV; 11-17-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-17-2016, 07:20 AM

74 posts, read 83,235 times
As often happens on city-data, you have provided condescending links to let me google that, but it does not account for the fact that city governments (especially liberal ones) do often defy state or federal laws as an act of protest. Many cities will deliberately force Walmarts to be placed in the worst neighborhoods such that nobody will want to go to them; they will build gender free bathrooms, illegal immigrants sanctuaries, etc regardless of what the state says.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:23 AM

63 posts, read 137,206 times
If your post is legit, I am not sure why you are asking these questions, since you already seem to have a pre-conceived notion on how awesome Durham is.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 AM

74 posts, read 83,235 times
It is also a way to gauge chauvinism, since some cities suck and will readily tell you so, whereas others cannot handle any criticism. Judging from the responses so far, Durham seems to be the latter.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:47 AM

514 posts, read 602,698 times
Quote:
It is also a way to gauge chauvinism, since some cities suck and will readily tell you so, whereas others cannot handle any criticism. Judging from the responses so far, Durham seems to be the latter.
I think it is entirely likely that people fail to take your post seriously, without having any ties to Durham. Count me amongst them. I live in Clayton. Durham is over 50 miles from my house. I VERY seldom find my way to Durham. I don't live, work or gather there.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
As often happens on city-data, you have provided condescending links to let me google that, but it does not account for the fact that city governments (especially liberal ones) do often defy state or federal laws as an act of protest. Many cities will deliberately force Walmarts to be placed in the worst neighborhoods such that nobody will want to go to them; they will build gender free bathrooms, illegal immigrants sanctuaries, etc regardless of what the state says.
Durham is certainly democrat, but not what I would call Leftist. It is democrat in the traditional Urban/Minority sense.

And in any case, have you not heard of HB2?

If your job is to be in Durham, then its likely in RTP, meaning its not near the City of Durham as most people experience or explain it. Its west of the airport and just as near Wake County as Durham County. Most people that are extremely concerned about schools stay in Western Wake County. It is as suburban and bland as anywhere you can imagine.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Anybody with half a pea brain knows that Durham has it's faults like anywhere else but it's not exactly Detroit FFS.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
The large Asian market near my house has not been burned down by any mobs, yay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary