Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 02:53 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this as a local question in case a local travel agent, if there are still such things, would be a solution.

Looking for coverage for travel times only, to and from, but not coverage during 3-week and longer stays in the destination nor here as regular coverage would cover that but it would not cover the kind of coverage travel insurance would, and, as travel insurance for, say a month, would be way too expensive.

So, I am looking for how to get coverage for the 1-2 days traveling each way. This will happen multiple times for overseas trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 03:51 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
I'm a little confused by your question, but I've bought travel insurance from World Nomads a couple of times. It's typically required when I've traveled on tours. Thankfully I haven't had to use it, but it's pretty inexpensive. I like that it includes evacuation coverage in the case of natural disaster or political issues.

https://www.worldnomads.com

Old 08-06-2017, 03:59 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Thanks and yeah it probably could have been written better.

Basically looking for coverage the day of the flights, including the day of departure and after arrival for a day or so. And then again on the return flight weeks or months later.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
Are you looking for health insurance coverage or coverage that would cover missed or canceled flights? For the latter, I think some credit cards will offer benefits for this.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:42 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Way way back in the day I worked for a travel insurance company and there were retail products that people could buy to cover what ever they wanted. I am not sure if they still exist because they were rife with fraud, but try this link:
Travel Insurance | Travel Protection Plans | Aon Affinity | Travel Protection Plans

They may be able to help you.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:16 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I understand what you're looking for, but i don't hink it exists. Try www.insuremytrip.com

Old 08-07-2017, 06:58 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Second this. I think trip insurance is based on the cost of the trip more than anything so plug in your info and see what the site comes up with. Or, if you are mostly concerned about trip delays then check with your credit card coverage, as someone else already mentioned.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:42 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
I understand what you're looking for, but i don't hink it exists. Try www.insuremytrip.com
This is the site we used for our cruise this summer.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:33 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
This is the site we used for our cruise this summer.
It's nearly always the site that we use for our frequent trips.

That said, I only insure to cover medical and evacuation expenses. The fact that most of those policies includes some coverage for lost bags, trip delay, etc is meaningless. If I can't afford to cover one night in a hotel due to a trip delay, I have no business spending money on a trip.

I also don't insure for domestic travel. We both have medical insurance that's good in all fifty states (if you have Medicare Advantage or one of the ACA policies, you may not have that benefit).

We buy insurance only for international trips and cruises. And remember to buy it within 10 days of booking the first part of your trip, whether it's hotel, airfare or a group travel deposit. Go beyond that ten days, and you'll likely be saddled with pre-existing condition clauses.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:40 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
That said, I only insure to cover medical and evacuation expenses. The fact that most of those policies includes some coverage for lost bags, trip delay, etc is meaningless. If I can't afford to cover one night in a hotel due to a trip delay, I have no business spending money on a trip.
Well, my trip to Croatia last fall was delayed by a hurricane (forget which one). I stayed with a friend in DC because there were no hotels anywhere near the airport (lots of delayed travelers). I still filed a claim for my expenses - even though it was only ~$90. At least I got to enjoy one nice meal on the insurance company, and got reimbursed for my airport transfer & ferry in Croatia. I almost had to cancel the whole trip due to a bad sprain - glad I was able to go in the end.

Anyhow, definitely recommend trip insurance for those trips overseas. Probably wouldn't bother for a US trip, especially since credit cards have basic coverage and I'm usually my own travel agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary