Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 04:19 PM

564 posts, read 1,046,237 times

Advertisements

I'm having problems with my 2004 Honda Accord LX. I have been told that the problem is my starter. The thing is, the car has had three starters since 2012. So today two people who looked at my car said that it's gotta be something electrical causing the starter to fail so often since starters don't need replacement this frequently.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go in the Durham area to diagnose this problem? The guy at Firestone (referred to him by AAA today) said not everyone is able to fully diagnose and fix it and that he only knows someone in Garner. Surely someone here can diagnose and fix it. i hate to go to Honda because of their rates. The guy there told me it would cost $115 for the first hour to diagnose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 05:15 PM

683 posts, read 1,888,165 times
Wasp Auto is the go-to place for pretty much everyone at my work with Toyotas and Hondas. They always come very highly recommended.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,949,667 times
Carmedix is great and affordable.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:24 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,596,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
... the car has had three starters since 2012. ...
You didn't say if those starters were new or rebuilt. A properly rebuilt unit is as good as new in every way. Sad to say, some rebuilders are cheats. They obtain used starters from wrecking yards and test them. Those which still work are cleaned (externally) and painted to look like rebuilt. Such sleazy operators are called Spray & Pray outfits because they spray-paint the used starters and pray they don't fail within the short warranty period. Honest rebuilders hate the S&P guys because they give the whole industry a bad reputation.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:21 PM

564 posts, read 1,046,237 times
Sorry to say that I do not know whether the starters were new or rebuilt. One came from Ingold Tire, the other AAA, and the last one from Auto Zone. I didn't have anyone at home to consult with and i had no idea. Now though, Auto Zone said they would order me one and would replace the one in there right now. I have to buy it and then when I return it I will get it credited to me. Good or not I have to go that route because I can't afford to do anything else. Still though someone needs to check the electrical aspect this time, right?

Old 12-18-2016, 07:33 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,949,667 times
I'd get on an auto forum for your make/model and see if any others have had the issues. Typically car specific forums are great sources of info.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:48 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Sorry to say that I do not know whether the starters were new or rebuilt. One came from Ingold Tire, the other AAA, and the last one from Auto Zone. I didn't have anyone at home to consult with and i had no idea. Now though, Auto Zone said they would order me one and would replace the one in there right now. I have to buy it and then when I return it I will get it credited to me. Good or not I have to go that route because I can't afford to do anything else. Still though someone needs to check the electrical aspect this time, right?

Dealer OEM parts sometimes cost more but usually last.

I once ran a service station and many rebuilt parts are junk or disguised used parts. As the other poster mentioned, quality of rebuilds varies greatly.

Mechanics will use a dealer part if asked.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:44 AM

43,376 posts, read 77,281,824 times
Go back to AAA.
They give a parts and labor warranty.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:53 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,601,297 times
Not in Durham, but I am pretty sure he can get to the bottom of your issue. http://www.tomsgarageapex.com
Very happy customer.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:09 AM

326 posts, read 385,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Not in Durham, but I am pretty sure he can get to the bottom of your issue. http://www.tomsgarageapex.com
Very happy customer.
I second this. He's a little quirky, but the guy knows his stuff. He's usually booked up a couple of weeks out due to high demand. No big deal, unless you've got an emergency issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary