Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:00 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for recommendations around Cary/Apex on relatively quiet places where I can occasionally sit for a whole day and work. I don't like coffee shops because I don't drink coffee, and I also don't feel it's right to plop myself there for an entire day.

The library would be good, but I need to be on conference calls occasionally so I don't think that would work.

I'm not against co-working places, but they're a little bit too "sociable" for me. I want to just sit quietly by myself.

Any suggestions? Think something like Wegmans, since they have an enormous amount of seating and lots of food/drink options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Panera is one of my favorites...I get a soda and a cup of soup for lunch.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Panera is one of my favorites...I get a soda and a cup of soup for lunch.
Do they care if you're there "long term"

Old 12-27-2016, 10:14 AM

821 posts, read 1,462,966 times
I tried Panera a few years ago, seems like they max out the wi-fi time at an hour (which if you have your own hotspot, I guess it doesn't matter...). I vaguely recall someone mentioning Sheetz as a good place to work...

Old 12-27-2016, 10:20 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Libraries, esp the bigger ones, have meeting rooms so you could book those when you need to be on conference calls. For some variety you could be in one place (like the library) for half the day and then spend the other half somewhere else (whatever place has wifi). When the weather's nice you could sit outside one of the coffee shops. No, the employees don't care if you hang out all day or not. Really, there are so many places that have wifi. I have, occasionally, gone to different hotels in the area. They usually have free wifi and so many comfy areas to sit in their various lounge areas. No one will bother you.

If you're a TWC/Roadrunner subscriber you can download an app that shows you all their wifi hotspots, which, as an Internet subscriber you can use for free. I've found those to be very convenient. There are hundreds of wifi hotspots all over the area hosted by TWC and hundreds more hosted by different establishments.

Experiment and try out different spots and different locations. Then come tell us which spots are optimal for working and getting enough solitude or quiet.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

If you're a TWC/Roadrunner subscriber you can download an app that shows you all their wifi hotspots, which, as an Internet subscriber you can use for free. I've found those to be very convenient. There are hundreds of wifi hotspots all over the area hosted by TWC and hundreds more hosted by different establishments.
I am and I have the app. Good idea I didn't think of that.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:31 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
I tried Panera a few years ago, seems like they max out the wi-fi time at an hour (which if you have your own hotspot, I guess it doesn't matter...). I vaguely recall someone mentioning Sheetz as a good place to work...
If you get max'd out, simply use the FREE Windows utility TMAC, to temporarily change your computer's MAC address, so you look like a "different user." Run it once an hour. Works great.

Or, McDonald's wi-fi is quite good in all the area ones in Cary-Apex.

Get a yogurt parfait and a McDouble with no bun, to stay healthy. Do survey on receipt to get BOGO on next visit.

Wendy's chili still works as does their salads. Do survey on receipt to get $2.00 off next trip.

I often meet clients for computer tune-ups at the above...

Old 12-27-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
If you get max'd out, simply use the FREE Windows utility TMAC, to temporarily change your computer's MAC address, so you look like a "different user." Run it once an hour. Works great.

Or, McDonald's wi-fi is quite good in all the area ones in Cary-Apex.

Get a yogurt parfait and a McDouble with no bun, to stay healthy. Do survey on receipt to get BOGO on next visit.

Wendy's chili still works as does their salads. Do survey on receipt to get $2.00 off next trip.

I often meet clients for computer tune-ups at the above...
Mcdonalds' are actually sort of nice these days depending on the location. I just get self-conscious about the fry-o-later alarms going off in the background when I'm on calls. Lol.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:00 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Whole Foods in Cary. There is a man I see working from their tables every time I go.

Barnes and Noble is another option.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Whole Foods in Cary. There is a man I see working from their tables every time I go.
Another good idea - I've actually never set foot in a Whole Foods. New one opening in West Cary though would be convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary