Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:24 AM

51 posts, read 53,976 times

Advertisements

anyone has been there before? Is the snow good (I heard it's man-made).

there are three ski resorts, which one is good for first time teenager?

any suggestions on hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
There are multiple ski resorts from which to choose. I normally go to Sugar, as it has longer vertical drop so I get more skiing in per lift ride, and is the one I would recommend on your first trip. If Sugar is overcrowded, though, I head down the road to Beech. There is also Appalachian, but I haven't skied there before.

The snow quality can vary greatly in ski resorts in this part of the country. I've been skiing at Sugar when a fresh 3-4" fell, and it was great. I've also skied when the temperature was in the mid-40s and the snow was mostly slush. All the ski resorts in that area blow snow anytime the weather permits. I wouldn't sweat it - the snow is good enough to ski on, especially if it is cold enough so that it doesn't turn into slush.

You are likely already planning on this, but make sure you get a ski lesson for the teenager. Do not try to teach her/him yourself - you will both be miserable. Get all of your "advanced" skiing out of your system while they are in the lesson, and when it is over spend some time on easier greens with them. That way, you both have a good time.

I don't have any suggestions on a hotel - I've only done day trips for skiing in the NC mountains.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
its ok for a first timer and sugar is seen is as the best appalachian ski mountain isn't necessarily bad and might have better deals

the la qunita in boone is a good hotel

from an objective perspective the snow isn't very good and snowshoe or wintergreen is better but you can still have fun

Old 01-13-2017, 01:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Bad weather for skiing in NC next week. Doesn't look like it's supposed to get below freezing any next week so I don't think they'll be able to make much snow. I don't really know how that works. Check the forecast before you go. Wintergreen (VA) and Snowshoe (WV) also look to be expecting warm temps. I'd plan to go when the weather is forecasted to at least be below freezing overnight so you can be sure they'll make snow.

I think Appalachian is generally a well-regarded slope for beginners and intermediates. It could be a good place for your teen to learn. Beech and Sugar offer more challenges.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:41 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Almost half of Sugar's slopes are currently closed, and by next week I'm sure more will be. I'd bet the other slopes are in worse shape.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Beech is probably my favorite.......when there's snow.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:27 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Where are there places to go skiing in the area, for those who don't necessarily care if things are perfect, just newbies who want to go ski a bit, any particular recommendations, closer the better?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:10 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
The ones mentioned already — Beech Mt, Sugar Mt, Appalachian Ski Mt are all the closest near Boone and Banner Elk. Not too much farther away is Wintergreen in VA and a little bit further is Snowshoe in WV. Cataloochee is near Asheville/Maggie Valley and a little farther than the Boone/Banner Elk resorts from us here in the Triangle.

North Carolina Ski Resorts | West Virginia Ski Resorts will give you current conditions on all the southeastern slopes.

But I would not plan on going anywhere in NC this coming week. Looks to be way too warm. Snowshoe might be good, though.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:39 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Not skiing but Hawksnest is a cool place to go snow tubing

Old 01-16-2017, 01:00 PM

51 posts, read 53,976 times
just update: My family went to Hawksnest and Appalachian Ski last weekend. Snow is not good, but playable: ) I took a close look of the snow, it's not real snow, but small ball of frozen ice. So it's man made snow. It's ok for our first timer skier.

We live in Blowing Rock which is just 20 minutes from App Ski resort. it's a little bit expensive than summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary