Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 07:17 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Can I ask what this means? Not familiar with this phrase. Thanks!
I meant ceiling of the roof, cabin-like wooden beams across the inside so it's solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
A builder using nails in a floor is a bad builder. Glue and screw is the only way to go.
I'm thinking of old construction.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
The reason people can think of examples of great construction in 100-yo homes is that all the crappy ones were leveled or destroyed years ago.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:35 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The reason people can think of examples of great construction in 100-yo homes is that all the crappy ones were leveled or destroyed years ago.

Of course, and that leads us to:

"I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like."
Corollary:
"I don't know anything about houses, but I know what I like."

And, there is never anything wrong with knowing what one likes, in any pursuit. Ignoring facts about construction and speaking in absolutes steps past that point, however.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:07 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,562 times
Quote:

Also, with many 100 year old homes, the only thing original about them are the foundation, framing and interior trim. And even then, I'd hardly consider those items to be better than what's required in modern building codes. Usually in a major renovation (if done properly) and engineer has been brought in to make sure those items are adequate. More than likely, a few changes and additions are going to be made.

Siding and windows COULD be original on a historic home, but that would have to be really well maintained. And even then, 100 year old windows would be horribly ineffective at sealing the house. And old siding requires a ton of maintenance and probably doesn't have proper waterproofing underneath.

Anything else left in a 100 year old house (aside from finishes like original floors and trim), would be junk. Electric, HVAC, plumbing would all have to modernized.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:11 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Of course, and that leads us to:

"I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like."
Corollary:
"I don't know anything about houses, but I know what I like."

And, there is never anything wrong with knowing what one likes, in any pursuit. Ignoring facts about construction and speaking in absolutes steps past that point, however.
Bingo

But it's easy to watch TV and see well-maintained and renovated historic homes and say, "Gee, they just don't build them like that anymore".

Conversely, anyone that knows homes says, "holy crap the renovation and maintenance costs must be a small fortune on that place".

My aunt and uncle own a historic home in PA (built in the 1800s). They did major renovations when they moved in. The house is incredible and well built, but I cry when I image what it must have cost them to get it to where it is.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:37 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:

Not true. Not in New England, anyway.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:58 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Not true. Not in New England, anyway.
You're right.
Crappy stuff somehow endures well beyond reason.
That is not testimony to quality, as much as it is too dumb luck.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 AM

6 posts, read 3,008 times
Default old houses rock

sorry i am late joining city-data and i just read this about houses making it for forty years...Im 51 this is my second home my first was built in 1953 and the floors of hardwood are still impeccable and very little foundation settling at all. my second home in trenton tennessee..built in 1900. still standing just bought it needs some work but dont they all but the wood rafters are so solid we cant find a screwgun that can make a screw penetrate that good ole oak!!!! If i buy another it wont be this old i dont think but i will definately buy pre 1978....all the sears
craftsman homes are still intact, i mean if they are still there it is facinating to think this house is 117 years od tell ol mayor thats almost triple the years he said a house would or coud last

Last edited by gregs1900house; 02-22-2017 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: always spelling

Old 02-22-2017, 05:17 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"petty sure."
I know it is a typo, but I think you have likely coined a very fun new phrase!
and the intelligent, perfect MJ also had a spelling error that after reading this he'll never again: "aesthetic" rather than "Esthetic"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary