Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 AM

812 posts, read 832,182 times

Advertisements

In his most recent blog, the Mayor of Cary notes that the average life expectancy of a home is 40 years. I am not sure if this is for Cary, the Triangle area, or the nation. Either way, it seems really low to me. Houses over 100 years old are not uncommon and houses built in the 50s 60s and 70s are aplenty with most showing no signs of "falling down". I mean, if the life expectancy of a house is "only" 40 years, shouldn't a house be treated more like some sort of liability that depreciates over time (cars, heavy machinery, planes) instead of a true asset (as they are)? Maybe they do depreciate in a way -when comparing their discount to newer/new build???? Also, is it correct to think that as a house ages more of the "value" is transferred from the structure to the land????

If so, in theory, then any house that is around 40+ years old should only sell for what the land itself is worth.... which obviously doesn't happen (I wish).

If so, in theory, then any new house purchased should see its value immediately plummet like when you drive a new car off the lot (older cars have already depreciated); especially, new build in less desirable areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Is the Mayor a developer/builder?

Or did he say, or mean to say, with the recent growth there that the average age is 40 years?

Old 02-01-2017, 04:32 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
OP, if you want to discuss something, it's helpful to include the link.

http://www.haroldweinbrecht.com (Jan. 29)

Old 02-01-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is the Mayor a developer/builder?

Or did he say, or mean to say, with the recent growth there that the average age is 40 years?
I believe he works for SAS and is a data scientist/programmer or something like that.

He definitely notes house "life expectancy"; in another note, he refers to home age with build dates.
Harold’s Blog: Town Council Retreat, State of Cary and More – CaryCitizen

Old 02-01-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
OP, if you want to discuss something, it's helpful to include the link.

http://www.haroldweinbrecht.com (Jan. 29)
Gotcha.... Haven't had my second cup of coffee yet

Old 02-01-2017, 04:53 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
In his most recent blog, the Mayor of Cary notes that the average life expectancy of a home is 40 years. I am not sure if this is for Cary, the Triangle area, or the nation. Either way, it seems really low to me. Houses over 100 years old are not uncommon and houses built in the 50s 60s and 70s are aplenty with most showing no signs of "falling down". I mean, if the life expectancy of a house is "only" 40 years, shouldn't a house be treated more like some sort of liability that depreciates over time (cars, heavy machinery, planes) instead of a true asset (as they are)? Maybe they do depreciate in a way -when comparing their discount to newer/new build???? Also, is it correct to think that as a house ages more of the "value" is transferred from the structure to the land????

If so, in theory, then any house that is around 40+ years old should only sell for what the land itself is worth.... which obviously doesn't happen (I wish)..

If so, in theory, then any new house purchased should see its value immediately plummet like when you drive a new car off the lot (older cars have already depreciated); especially, new build in less desirable areas.

"Life expectancy" generally refers to minimal design life for serviceability. And, it is not difficult to find homes that are 40 years old with functional, design, esthetic, or structural/material deficiencies that significantly affect value. Think asbestos, lead-based paint, aluminum wiring, single-pane windows, low insulation standards, 3/8" plywood roof sheathing 24" o.c. in terms of design and component selection.
Esthetics? Outdated floor plans, 8' ceilings or less, 30" bath vanities, phone booth showers, few windows due to 1970's design influenced by original energy crises.
The land supports the house.
That is why we call it "real" estate. The dirt is "real" and permanent, and "under all there is the land." "Selling houses" is basically slang, similar to "a new ride" or "a new set of wheels."

Yes, structures do depreciate. They also appreciate based on market dynamics. And, costs of new construction impact resales values. The two float in tandem, just like with cars. Supply and demand.
In much of the Triangle, particularly true in Cary, the land appreciates very nicely.
Tathalso noted this from the blog:
"More people travel to work in Cary than leave for work." That is a maturation.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:01 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Life expectancy" generally refers to minimal design life for serviceability. And, it is not difficult to find homes that are 40 years old with functional, design, esthetic, or structural/material deficiencies that significantly affect value. Think asbestos, lead-based paint, aluminum wiring, single-pane windows, low insulation standards, 3/8" plywood roof sheathing 24" o.c. in terms of design and component selection.
Esthetics? Outdated floor plans, 8' ceilings or less, 30" bath vanities, phone booth showers, few windows due to 1970's design influenced by original energy crises.
This is house I read it. There are houses standing that are over 100 years old, but you would not live in them in their original state.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
The low quality materials used today combined with the lousy soil that puts many homes out of plumb limits the useful life.

The homes start to bleed maintenance needs and it becomes economically wise to scrap them.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:17 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
The low quality materials used today combined with the lousy soil that puts many homes out of plumb limits the useful life.

The homes start to bleed maintenance needs and it becomes economically wise to scrap them.
I'm petty sure this is an accounting method for depreciation purposes. It doesn't mean the "Average" house will be scraped after 40 years, even with the construction material quality being what they are/were.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

^ #AlternativeFacts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary