Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,713,922 times

Advertisements

That is why we call it Cary--Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. Yep, they need to be fenced in. LOL
Just a little North Carolina Native humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,328,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That is why we call it Cary--Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. Yep, they need to be fenced in. LOL
That's great I've never heard that one!!!

What's that have to do with the thread though?

Old 02-25-2017, 05:14 AM

188 posts, read 152,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post

One last thing. I think we can consider Chicago to be one of the highest gang issue cities in the US. It's definitely up there if it's not #1. Here are stats of the most used guns in Chicago by gang members.

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/01/chi...guns-raw-data/

Every single one is a handgun.

Strange I don't see an ar-15 or an ak style rifle in there.....
That's because you've become a victim of your own beliefs.

2 charged in death of man shot with AK-47 while walking home from work - Chicago Tribune

Even on the spreadsheet you quoted, there are some ak-47 events in Chicago.

I don't know why you focused solely on Chicago for your flawed data gathering expedition, but my point was not to measure specific guns used as a percentage. There many ways to divert from the fact that AK-47 variants are extraordinarily dangerous in city environments, and you simply grabbed the low hanging fruit. I've found that when people want to go through life with blinders on, it is a counter-productive waste of time to try to change their mind (and presenting facts never sways their opinion), especially when it comes to guns. So I don't think I will try to convince you, I'll leave it at that for those fortunate enough to still have eyes wide open.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:46 AM

188 posts, read 152,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The proportion of sociopaths in high, decision making positions is much higher than the general public. The public is much safer owning firearms than if only the elites do. You know, the same people who don't think twice about sending hundreds of thousands of undeserving people to their deaths just to take their natural resources...

The "thinking person" should think a little harder..
"The elites" have greater firepower at their disposal, always have and always will. You know, the same people who don't think twice about sending hundreds of thousands of "undeserving" (ahem,I mean, people who signed up for the job and agreed to take a paycheck in exchange for doing so) to their deaths. Well, they can order those same hundreds of thousands of people to come take a crap all over any sort of organized group that attempts to overthrow them or cause other means of civil disorder. Assault rifle's are no match for tanks, and the typical paranoid schizophrenic gun-nut in America can't afford a tank. It's been that way since the beginning of time, and putting more AK-47s into the hands of nutty citizens with tin foil hat issues is not going to solve that problem.

The great thing about political problems though, is they happen on such a large scale that there are rarely any surprises. We can observe the sociopathic behavior of politicians throughout history and make a pretty good guess about where things are going or will end up at any given time.

Contrast that with some nutjob in Cary with an assault rifle -- we have no idea when he's going to snap and ruin a bunch of lives unless we have lots of AI algorithms monitoring their social media feeds and/or people actually reading their nonsense enough to report them before something bad happens.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 771 times
Garrett Asger Grimsley was a kid from Wilmington and wasn't really Muslim, just a kook who needed a cause to stick his insanity to. He just as easily could have gone the White Power route, like Dylann Roof.
Mental health should be a priority in this country. Instead we point fingers.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,326,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
"The elites" have greater firepower at their disposal, always have and always will.

Not only greater firepower, but political, legal, and financial power as well. They even have the power of the media to influence minds like you. The Founders understood this fact throughout history and felt it was all the more critical for the public to have a tangible means of resisting abuse of power.

You know, the same people who don't think twice about sending hundreds of thousands of "undeserving" (ahem,I mean, people who signed up for the job and agreed to take a paycheck in exchange for doing so) to their deaths.

Many who join the military don't do so for a measly paycheck, more for a sense of duty to country. The American death toll in the war was around 4500, the hundreds of thousands of deaths I was referring to was those living in Iraq and Afghanistan who had nothing to do with terrorist acts. The military action was strictly for the purpose of monopolizing their natural resources. Your arrogance and underlying disdain for those that join the military prevented you from seeing my reference however.

Well, they can order those same hundreds of thousands of people to come take a crap all over any sort of organized group that attempts to overthrow them or cause other means of civil disorder.

The Vietnamese did very well against a similar force asymmetry. They had the same advantages the American public would have - numbers and an infinite timetable.

Assault rifle's are no match for tanks, and the typical paranoid schizophrenic gun-nut in America can't afford a tank. It's been that way since the beginning of time, and putting more AK-47s into the hands of nutty citizens with tin foil hat issues is not going to solve that problem.

I have known many gun owners who are highly educated, intelligent people - and certainly not the types of people who would characterize someone who disagrees with them as paranoid schizophrenic.

The great thing about political problems though, is they happen on such a large scale that there are rarely any surprises. We can observe the sociopathic behavior of politicians throughout history and make a pretty good guess about where things are going or will end up at any given time.

Oh can you? They have pulled some pretty horrendous things right in front of peoples' faces and most people (yourself included based on your posts) are completely oblivious to it.

Contrast that with some nutjob in Cary with an assault rifle -- we have no idea when he's going to snap and ruin a bunch of lives unless we have lots of AI algorithms monitoring their social media feeds and/or people actually reading their nonsense enough to report them before something bad happens.
-rr

Old 02-25-2017, 12:19 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,402,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not really worried about the brown folk at all. In the words of Barney Fife in reference to Ernest T Bass, "he's a nut". Nothing to see here other than what it really is. Much more concerned about homegrown USA, crazy and armed.
Was speaking to the big picture here in the US. I'm on the same page with you in that regard.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:20 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,402,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
He's from Wilmington. Your point is?

Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,782,256 times
A piece of a ABC news report on an overnight raid in Chicago :

Twelve firearms were also seized by police during the raids, Johnson said. Anthony Riccio, chief of organized crime, said, "One of the guns we took off the street ... is actually a machine gun capable of firing 40 to 50 rounds in just a matter of seconds."

Full report: Chicago police arrest 81 in overnight raids, mostly for drug and weapons offenses - ABC News

The second amendment was adopted in 1791. Arms have changed a little bit since then. In 1791 the average citizen could possess about the same firepower as the government (maybe that was a factor in the amendment to start with). Fast forward 226 years and things have changed ..... no modern day militia (even with automatic weapons) would have any impact. Using the second amendment to justify even semi-automatic weapons is so wrong. I totally agree private citizens should be allowed to possess firearms. In today's world a firearm is probably needed more then anytime since the wild-west. That being said nobody (private citizen) needs a weapon that fires 40-50 rounds a second.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:15 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,432,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Isn't it a shame that it takes several paragraphs to explain to people the truth and just one post later they are back to saying the same ignorant thing??
Yep lol. You present facts and people respond with an emotional response. Some people don't care about the facts and only base decisions on how they "feel".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
A piece of a ABC news report on an overnight raid in Chicago :

Twelve firearms were also seized by police during the raids, Johnson said. Anthony Riccio, chief of organized crime, said, "One of the guns we took off the street ... is actually a machine gun capable of firing 40 to 50 rounds in just a matter of seconds."

Full report: Chicago police arrest 81 in overnight raids, mostly for drug and weapons offenses - ABC News

The second amendment was adopted in 1791. Arms have changed a little bit since then. In 1791 the average citizen could possess about the same firepower as the government (maybe that was a factor in the amendment to start with). Fast forward 226 years and things have changed ..... no modern day militia (even with automatic weapons) would have any impact. Using the second amendment to justify even semi-automatic weapons is so wrong. I totally agree private citizens should be allowed to possess firearms. In today's world a firearm is probably needed more then anytime since the wild-west. That being said nobody (private citizen) needs a weapon that fires 40-50 rounds a second.
I bet it was obtained with a tax stamp too This story proves that federal laws wont stop criminals from obtaining machine guns. They should not be regulated, because criminals don't care about laws.

BTW one of only machine gun that can shoot 50 rounds in a second is a minigun. I strongly doubt this gang banger had one. He probably had an uzi, which will shoot about 10 rounds a second. If he mad a minigun that would be utterly insane, and I would be jealous. It's on my bucket list to shoot one day.

I just saw someone ran into a crowd of people in New Orleans. They need to restrict who can drive trucks! There should be an age limit. Trucks should be taxed. They need to be registered, and there needs to be laws in place so people wont drive too fast, or drive intoxicated! You know what. Nobody needs a truck, They should be banned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary