Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
The reason Spectrum is adding this surcharge is they know people will pay it. Let the free market work. Call Spectrum and tell them to eliminate the surcharge or cancel the service. There are other options now.
Very true. We have DISH & PrismTV, and just added DirecTV to the mix. That and multiple streaming services gives us all the choices we could possibly want.

Total with internet comes to around $400/mo, but I can get what I want, when I want and in most cases....in the quality I want...I.E. 4k & DVR/No Commercials being most important, with HD DVR/No Commercials being the backup. We never watch anything live, so we can zip past commercials. We are big sports, educational and movie fans.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 03-15-2017 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Clarified Wants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 AM

147 posts, read 162,882 times
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qJFULARDBAWiO1

Old 03-15-2017, 05:35 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
Sounds like it is time to buy a house and pick the services you want, instead of having to settle for what the landlord arranged for.
Our landlord allows U-Verse and TWC. Satellite is OK as well as long as the building isn't damaged.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Our landlord allows U-Verse and TWC. Satellite is OK as well as long as the building isn't damaged.
If you have the correct line of sight, I suggest you switch to DISH for excellent pricing & mobile app or DirecTV for 4k & HD quality. You need a general southern line of sight. SE for DISH and SW for DirecTV.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:01 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Have direct TV now and an attic antenna. Get everything I had before with TWC for less than half the price.

Our TV + internet now runs 85 a month and that includes 120 channels, hbo, all the locals via the antenna, and 100mbps.

Not sure if they are still doing it but the first month I got direct tv now I got a free firestick for prepaying the first month. Sweet deal. Honestly I utilize other sources of media I already had access to a whole lot more than with TWC because its more available (netflix/amazon video).

I will never pay 190 a month for cable again.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:02 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Have direct TV now and an attic antenna. Get everything I had before with TWC for less than half the price.

Our TV + internet now runs 85 a month and that includes 120 channels, hbo, all the locals via the antenna, and 100mbps.

Not sure if they are still doing it but the first month I got direct tv now I got a free firestick for prepaying the first month. Sweet deal. Honestly I utilize other sources of media I already had access to a whole lot more than with TWC because its more available (netflix/amazon video).

If you have Directv, what do you get additionally with the antenna?

And your cost for Directv will go up after the first year promo rate.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:44 AM

30 posts, read 28,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post

Questions:

1. Does the 85 a month include DVR with integrated guide? If no, do you record programming to watch later, and if so can you describe your setup?

2. Do you have to switch modes (TV input) to view the antenna channels?

3. Do you know what your price would be minus the 100mbps internet?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:52 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piclada View Post
1. Does the 85 a month include DVR with integrated guide? If no, do you record programming to watch later, and if so can you describe your setup?
I can suggest a setup... I use an old laptop that I have connected to the antenna using a USB tuner stick (similar to this one). Then I use the Windows Media Center that was included in Windows 7 to access a programming guide and record programs. I also have a Media Center remote like this one to control it without having to go to the laptop

Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piclada View Post
I haven't tried using a local antenna because so far I still have cable. I suppose that will change if I ever decide to cut the cord, but I'm not looking forward to having to switch input modes on the TV to view local channels as a different video source, and because I don't think it would be easy (maybe not even possible) to have an after market recording device switch between sources and resolve any programming conflicts. Without that tight integration between the DVR, the programming guide, and a single input source, I would be giving up so much that I doubt I would watch TV at all anymore. Plus, there are family members that watch channels like TLC and are not willing to give up the ability to watch some of their recurring favorites as they are aired.
In my setup, I don't have to switch inputs ever. I use a Roku 3 attached to each television and access all content through it. For live and timeshifted OTA stuff, I have a Tablo DVR that sits in another room with an antenna attached. I can access that content via Roku app from the TV, or via a browser, or via an app from my phone/tablet. With only like 6 channels (local ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, and PBS), I haven't really had scheduling conflicts with the 2-tuner version of the Tablo, but a 4-tuner version is available if you need it.

Everything I watch is available via a channel on the Roku. Tablo, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Playstation Vue, Watch ESPN, HBO Now, Youtube, etc. Some of these, like HBO, I only subscribe to a month or two a year to catch up on certain shows. Unlike with TWC, where you have to cal in and wait in a queue and deal with someone trying to retain you, it is super easy to cancel (or sign up) from these services. No hidden fees either.

You do have to go to a few different places to find stuff, but if you have Netflix and Prime today in addition to cable/sat, then you already have to do this. Mostly it is just now you have one app to access stuff on your OTA DVR and another to access your Cloud DVR for the "cable" channels. If you want to channel surf, you can do that on the Tablo or in Vue (or Sling if you use that, or whatever other OTT service you use for live TV).

Currently, Vue at $30 is the only service I'm paying for that I didn't already pay for with TWC. If I compare it to what TWC was charging me, that is MUCH better. If I compare to what I pay for Netflix, which I watch far more, it is still overpriced.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 AM

169 posts, read 541,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If you have Directv, what do you get additionally with the antenna?

And your cost for Directv will go up after the first year promo rate.
He doesn't have DirectTV he has DirectTV Now which is their streaming service similar to Sling and Playstation VUE. I have the same thing and enjoy the 5 dollar a month HBO access (able to access HBO Go) which is 10 less than springing for HBO Now (15 a month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary