Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 AM

7 posts, read 8,125 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Long-time lurker who finally got an account for a move. I try to search for most answers or nearly relevant info whenever possible. However, it's been tricky to find more recent threads about the SW Durham neighborhoods around Hope Valley. So here goes...

I've researched the stats via LexisNexis crime maps, and the frequency of events isn't great. But being that we're former city people, I know stats alone aren't the entire picture of an area. So, what is it like actually living in the area? Do you just anticipate that at some point, your home/ car may be broken into? Are most incidents random criminal activity or the caliber of "My Ex or cousin broke into my house etc." Or, is it more common to live completely undisturbed?

We have three small children and are trying to decide between the HVE area, Easley (near Willowhaven) or *gulp* Cary if necessary. No dis to Cary. It looks like a lovely area, and is definitely safe. We can also see that NW Durham is statistically safer; but it's fairly removed from things we enjoy like local coffee and non-chain dining.

Quick background stats:

• Relocating from ATX area, originally from Chicago
• Husband will be commuting to RTP (25-30 min isn't an issue.)
• Prefer non-HOA hoods
• 3 kids, one school-aged who'll be in AIG program
• housing budget tops out at 275K

Hope I've covered most of the bases. Thank you in advance for feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
if you're talking Woodcroft, Hope Valley Farms, etal - they're quite safe. "Crime" would typically be random property crime (unlocked or broken into cars) and the occasional teenage vandalism.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I think it's fine. I have known folks who lived over that way w/o any major troubles. I've been broken into in Chapel Hill, too, so crime gets around when it wants to.

You could also look at Chapel Hill instead of Cary if that would work with your commute. Great AIG programs in CHCCS. You could do your budget in Chapel Hill although it would go farther in Durham.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:24 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
I live in south Durham it's a non issue but your budget might be a little low

Old 03-19-2017, 02:30 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
I think you can find something in your price range. Are you ok with a 3-bedroom house?

Apartment complex parking lots seem to be a favorite for criminals. Even if you don't have anything out in view, you car might get broken into. This isn't just a Durham issue, but an all over issue.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I live really close to Hope Valley - generally there are break-ins here and there, but I haven't been that concerned with my alarm system (do get an alarm, but I'd say that to anyone moving anywhere).

Old 03-19-2017, 04:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
Hope Valley is generally safe. There are a few slightly 'sketchy' areas not too far away, but those aren't really residential areas.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:02 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
On of my best friends and his wife are under contract for a nice family home in HVF paying under $250k for 4 bedrooms, + office and a 2 car garage on quarter acre. Your budget is doable but homes there move very fast. My fiends lost out on two similarly priced homes before they got the one they did and they offered over asking on all 3 of them. Very popular neighborhood for young families. Don't think crime should be a big concern for you.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times
Living in Hope Valley and loving it. Lots of families like yours in the area, and none have reported any crimes that you've mentioned here. I happen to have a garage, so car damage is not a worry for me. The commute to RTP is a snap as well. I work in North Raleigh, and it takes me usually 30 minutes even at rush hour (at least going there--coming back is more like 45 sometimes). The problem will be getting a non-HOA neighborhood in the area--I can't think offhand of any part in the development that fits that criteria. Still, dues are very low compared to other surrounding areas and won't add much to your yearly payments.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:42 PM

714 posts, read 722,135 times
I am in the western part of Hope Valley, near Woodcroft. I live alone, and while I was nervous when I first moved here, I no longer am. Yes, there have been break-ins in my neighborhood, including right next door. But I have a security system with lots of signs and window stickers and it seems to provide sufficient deterrence. Not to say I'll never be broken into, but so far (15 months) so good. In your price range you are looking at 3 bedrooms, 2-1/2 baths, 1/4 to 1/3 acre, somewhat updated or maybe just needs some cosmetic updates. I also like Woodcroft and Woodlake and would have bought there had my house not become available. Traffic on the main roads can be an issue at rush hour, but what I love about the area is that it is no more than about 30 minutes to anywhere, and 15-20 to most places.

I have no garage, but I don't keep anything in my car either and have had no problems with car break-ins.

TarHeelNick is right though, houses tend to sell fast, often as soon as they go on the market, if they are priced right and in good shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary