Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The exclusionary statements about ITB neighborhood are overblown! I have lived/owned ITB for 22 years and I am a west coaster originally. No problems. I have mix race household friends/families (not from NC) that also live ITB with no problems. Much of ITB is actually politically progressive & socially open (save for, perhaps, Country Club Hills) and living there should not pose a problem at all.
As for the 800K budget, with a quick search, there are 55 houses listed ITB under 800K and over 3,000ft2. That's not a huge supply but it's not impossible either. In the entire Triangle, there are over 3600 listings using the same requirements. When people said you'd have lots of choices, they weren't kidding.
Well I hope that they come and perhaps rent for 6 months, maybe at somewhere near Cameron Village, and as I've read recently, visiting the grocery stores in the prospective neighborhood will give help give a sense of the vibe of nearby residents.

For me, a graduate of NCSU, Triangle native, and fully acquainted with most of Broughton High School's A-crowd around 1990,

I feel unwelcomed even today as a gay man, and I still see and hear that good 'ol Raleigh culture in full force in Starbucks and Mellow Mushroom on Peace St. , the khaki pants, the muddy Toyota with off-road capabilities, Taking parent's boat out on ocean the coming weekend, perhaps that's all I see and am oblivious to all that's changed.

OP will feel welcomed no matter the area, but also will find Raleigh residents to be conservative.

I suspect that dozens of areas in Wake County will have atmospheres more appealing to OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well I hope that they come and perhaps rent for 6 months, maybe at somewhere near Cameron Village, and as I've read recently, visiting the grocery stores in the prospective neighborhood will give help give a sense of the vibe of nearby residents.

For me, a graduate of NCSU, Triangle native, and fully acquainted with most of Broughton High School's A-crowd around 1990,

I feel unwelcomed even today as a gay man, and I still see and hear that good 'ol Raleigh culture in full force in Starbucks and Mellow Mushroom on Peace St. , the khaki pants, the muddy Toyota with off-road capabilities, Taking parent's boat out on ocean the coming weekend, perhaps that's all I see and am oblivious to all that's changed.

OP will feel welcomed no matter the area, but also will find Raleigh residents to be conservative.

I suspect that dozens of areas in Wake County will have atmospheres more appealing to OP.
More liberal than Raleigh???

Old 04-21-2017, 05:38 PM

12 posts, read 10,424 times
I really appreciate all these differing viewpoints! I guess in terms of my need for a diverse environment, I specifically don't want my boys to feel like they stick out like a sore thumb with our family being of mixed-race. Where we are now, we are (almost annoyingly) common, and that feels "safe" in a lot of ways. I also want them to grow up in an environment where all cultures/races/sexual orientations are respected; of course they will get this at home, but I know how much of this is learned outside of the home as well. It seems like much of The Triangle will have people who agree with this and some that don't- probably like LA, but to a lesser degree.

Now if someone could just pick something for me so I don't have to look at listings anymore...

Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLamp View Post
I really appreciate all these differing viewpoints! I guess in terms of my need for a diverse environment, I specifically don't want my boys to feel like they stick out like a sore thumb with our family being of mixed-race. Where we are now, we are (almost annoyingly) common, and that feels "safe" in a lot of ways. I also want them to grow up in an environment where all cultures/races/sexual orientations are respected; of course they will get this at home, but I know how much of this is learned outside of the home as well. It seems like much of The Triangle will have people who agree with this and some that don't- probably like LA, but to a lesser degree.

Now if someone could just pick something for me so I don't have to look at listings anymore...
Mixed race will definitely not stick out here. Your boys will be fine.

Last edited by JaPaKoMom; 04-22-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 05:08 PM

265 posts, read 269,744 times
I wish I had your budget. I would have never left LA to come here.

In the Triangle with that budget, I would go with Oakwood, Five Points, or Mordecai.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:14 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
I'm very much happy with our location in East South Cary. We are close to pretty much everything yet far from airport / railroad noise. Think about the things you'd need daily or weekly - where would you shop or go to a gym or to a park, etc. If you lost work from home job which location would be closer to the potential employers.

As others suggested, I also would not spend the whole budget. You can buy a great home in an established neighborhood with reasonable 0.35 acre for about 500k.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
I wish I had your budget. I would have never left LA to come here.

In the Triangle with that budget, I would go with Oakwood, Five Points, or Mordecai.
Not sure when you left LA, but these days, $700-800K will get you a nice 2 bedroom condo and you're still on the hook for private schools. Not exactly our ideal situation!

Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I'm very much happy with our location in East South Cary. We are close to pretty much everything yet far from airport / railroad noise. Think about the things you'd need daily or weekly - where would you shop or go to a gym or to a park, etc. If you lost work from home job which location would be closer to the potential employers.

As others suggested, I also would not spend the whole budget. You can buy a great home in an established neighborhood with reasonable 0.35 acre for about 500k.
What area of Cary, specifically do you live in and are you happy with the schools? I'm all for considering different areas, but need it to be somewhat "central" to the triangle since I don't know where I will work (healthcare) and like you suggest, the need for a local spot for my husband should he need to find another job (tech).

Not spending the whole budget sounds good to me! What established neighborhoods would you look in? I have pretty tirelessly scoured this board for information on certain subdivisions, cross-referencing for airport noise, schools, build quality of houses... My eyes are crossing!

Old 04-24-2017, 03:38 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
560 lots in Apex?

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...velopment.html

Old 04-24-2017, 03:59 PM

265 posts, read 269,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLamp View Post
Not sure when you left LA, but these days, $700-800K will get you a nice 2 bedroom condo and you're still on the hook for private schools. Not exactly our ideal situation!
Only 5 years ago. My standards are probably lower than yours, but I just had a quick look at the old neighborhoods I lived in (South Pasadena & the area between South Park and the USC campus). You're right. I wasn't surprised about South Pasadena, but I guess the new Expo Line had a dramatic effect on the USC area.

My advice to you here is that you don't need to spend nearly what you stated in the original post. Pocket some $ instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary