Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:47 AM

225 posts, read 216,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Even if you were to buy a used car, you would still need to have cash to pay taxes, purchase insurance before they would allow you to leave. I'm sorry you are in tough place, but I don't know that there is a feasible solution beyond trying to look for a job closer by and saving up money. Is it possible to save up just enough money to get the car fixed so it's usable?
Can barely make rent, let alone save money. High rates, low pay. Same situation as most. The spouse trying to find work in walking distance (no buses nearby). Believe me, pretty much all options over the years have been used up to survive, and I know the feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 AM

We have looked to. Afraid of something dying with a week is a common fear from buying from people directly. Still, the money to come up with when one can only get $20 a week just for food. Still an option, if one can come up with that much cash. Maybe a bank loan and suffer their rates??? I know the credit is not over 400 (form 800) since job losses and all the crap that happens after. More jobs are trying to be sought out.
I have been looking into programs again, charity that gives people cars. I tried this myself years ago, but over a year and I could not get one after my minvan was repossessed and I was then given a tin can to drive that blew fumes in the vehicle. I ended up dipping into my 401k just to get a $2500 car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
@ThySeeker,

I just looked on Craigslist at cars selling for $1000 or less and found about sixty (60) in that price range listed on the first page alone.

All these cars are for sale "by owner". I really think you can find something there.

@RedZin,

"Words have meaning"

Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM

No credit cards.
No cell phone.
No bus access (as in, none nearby, nor any would take to job from Raleigh to Durham).
No local family (nor any with money).
No friends (with money).
No cable. No TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I agree with this post. It's not what the OP asked for, but I think the OP really needs to reconsider and be realistic. Use the bus/transit reliability time to repair credit, pay off debt and be ready to buy a car when it can be supported better.

It may take some lifestyle changes to do, but it is better than perpetuating something that is not sustainable.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:00 AM

I passed over some ideas from you all and I am thinking a bank loan for $5000 might be the only option. Will take them years to pay off all that interest, as I have been car shopping for awhile (online) and see nothing good for under $4000. I can not afford all that either. Sometimes I am in better situations than others, which surprises me.

My car broke too, but is getting repaired (I hope) but I think my own engine dead too.

Still, whether for myself or an associate, I try to find any viable options as there is always someone that knows something or someone that could help. Nothing wrong with asking (nor do I even remember my own posts from ages ago).

Keep pouring any other helpful ideas, all. I think the request $1000 might not work either, neither is buying something from someone on sites like Craigs, as there is no cash on hand.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
He should try to sell some stuff on craigslist to get some cash. I've made pretty good money selling stuff on eBay when clearing stuff out of my house. You would be surprised what people will pay for your junk. It would be very unlikely for a bank to give him a loan with a bad credit score and no collateral. They just aren't a good candidate to pay back the loan. It's a really unfortunate situation and I'm very sympathetic.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThySeeker View Post
Oh, for me, having a government program assist me with my loans, which almost hit default on Christmas.

For the car, going to a lot and getting something under some loan might be the only option, but paying the extra $100+/month is going to affect rent. Someone, this might be the only option.
Are they federal loans or private loans? Federal loans have some very attractive repayment options. I am guessing yours are private loans and I'm curious how you wound up with those vs federal loans?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThySeeker View Post
I passed over some ideas from you all and I am thinking a bank loan for $5000 might be the only option. Will take them years to pay off all that interest, as I have been car shopping for awhile (online) and see nothing good for under $4000. I can not afford all that either. Sometimes I am in better situations than others, which surprises me.

My car broke too, but is getting repaired (I hope) but I think my own engine dead too.

Still, whether for myself or an associate, I try to find any viable options as there is always someone that knows something or someone that could help. Nothing wrong with asking (nor do I even remember my own posts from ages ago).

Keep pouring any other helpful ideas, all. I think the request $1000 might not work either, neither is buying something from someone on sites like Craigs, as there is no cash on hand.
Does this person have a car they could sell someplace for parts so they could get a little extra cash up?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:46 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
There is a used car place on Wilmington Street in Raleigh. Raleigh Pre-Owned 2. I've added their link on autotrader.com .

RPO2 : Raleigh, NC 27603 Car Dealership, and Auto Financing - Autotrader

RPO2 Used Car Dealer in Raleigh, NC | Used Cars for Sale in Raleigh | (919) 896-8220

They have a handful of cars in the 1,000-2,000 range. May not be the most ideal situation, but hopefully payments would be low enough to afford. I wish you good luck, but be careful about what you're buying.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:48 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I'd be taking whatever money I had and be trying to get out of my lease and move to someplace more affordable, closer to work and with access to public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary