Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Haha yeah that was kinda embellished

I will say I was very impressed with the IKEA quality though
Yeah, I've been hearing lots of good things about Ikea. I think I'll cancel my big box measure appointment and at least take a drive out to Charlotte. So much for this being an easy project! If only there wasn't a 2 week delay in getting my kitchen measured by the big box company - in my case, more time to mull over a project is NOT a good thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 06:40 PM

147 posts, read 162,713 times
You could go all stainless, commercial.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:58 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Would IKEA cabinets be a turnoff for resale?
Most homes in N Raleigh have original cabinets that might have been painted over. The sink base has rotted out and replaced once or twice, and overall the cabinets are worn looking. The ikea kitchen I have installed has increased the value 2x-3x the cost I have put into my kitchen easily. I spent less than $4,000 (plus they had a 15% off sale) for the cabinets and $1,800 on my granite. I have a large open kitchen and a huge island. I also did a farmhouse sink, new faucet, instant hot water faucet, backsplash, and a custom island. I did 100% of the assembly and installation. Assembly is easy but a chore. Install is easy because all the uppers hang on a rail. The finish work like filler pieces and molding might be challenging for someone that isn't handy, but could easily be subbed out. I would put in an ikea in homes up to $500,000 all day long.

Everyone that has been to my house would never think my kitchen is from ikea. My granite guy could not believe how good it looked. Unfortunately when people think of ikea they think of crappy book cases or a lack coffee table. Their cabinets are very good quality. If you get tired of the doors they can easily be replaced with many online companies. All doors and drawers are soft close, and easy to clean.

If you are going to Charlotte to look, measure the dimensions of your kitchen and take lots of photos. You can use their computers to design a kitchen and get a cost. It's complicating to use at first, but their workers are very helpful. You can also use their program at home, but it has a bit of a learning curve.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:59 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I love Ikea cabinets, but I'm not a DIYer. I know there are companies that will install them, but with Charlotte being 2 hours away it may be more of a hassle than I want to deal with. If I hadn't already been living with this fugly kitchen for 8 years, I'd be inclined to wait for Ikea to open here!
Ikea will deliver to your home for like $100-$150 and it only takes a couple of days. You can easily find people to assemble and install locally.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:04 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know about frameless cabinets, but since space is SO limited in my kitchen it could be well worth it. $400/box wouldn't be too bad, particularly if there was more space. I like Shaker cabinets as well!
Here's the thing....
When we bought, about 2 years ago, Lowe's did not offer frameless, and HD only had them in low end, fairly junky stuff.
We probably would have gone with Lowes if they could have offered them.

And, let's bust your budget!!!! JFF...
When you have your kitchen torn up, invest in other stuff:

1. IF your range hood does not vent to the outside, get that done.

2. Add properly wired undercabinet LED light strips. It will cost you a licensed electrician, but it is so worth it for food prep and pleasant indirect light. Of course, you have to install a trim around the cabinet bottoms to hide the strips. More $$$.

3. I even put outlets above the cabinets, and have plugged in lighting up there on a separate switch. Heartthrob said, "Above? Why?" And the first time I hit the switch, it was, "Oooohhhh.... Nice."

4. Get the full wastebasket base cabinet pullout. Not the cabinet with the drawer over the pullout, but the full-height base cabinet pullout. Holds the trash can right up to near counter height. Who wants to drag scraps over a drawer handle?
YES:
https://www.build.com/rev-a-shelf-4w...0414180608%3As

NO:
https://www.build.com/rev-a-shelf-4w...0414180043%3As

Old 04-14-2017, 12:31 PM

47 posts, read 52,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

4. Get the full wastebasket base cabinet pullout. Not the cabinet with the drawer over the pullout, but the full-height base cabinet pullout. Holds the trash can right up to near counter height. Who wants to drag scraps over a drawer handle?
YES:

NO:

I'd call that one a matter of preference. I personally don't like having wastebaskets containing rotting food anywhere near the food prep area, and I would never drag scraps across a bare counter (just makes clean up harder). I pick it up and drop it in a separate stainless wastebasket.

I find the cabinet and drawer space for storing things to be precious resources, couldn't give them up to wastebaskets.. I'd take the drawer because its good for storing things like hand towels, oven mitts, and anything else that you might need to grab quickly. Most of the things I would store in that cabinet wouldn't work well if stored in a spare corner of the kitchen, whereas a stainless wastebasket works great for that (and makes it easier to pull the bag out). But again, that's one man's kitchen and YMMV.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I agree with overhead lighting pointing up. I was recently in a classroom that had it instead of lights pointing down. Wow what a difference.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:53 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurL1 View Post
I'd call that one a matter of preference. I personally don't like having wastebaskets containing rotting food anywhere near the food prep area, and I would never drag scraps across a bare counter (just makes clean up harder). I pick it up and drop it in a separate stainless wastebasket.

I find the cabinet and drawer space for storing things to be precious resources, couldn't give them up to wastebaskets.. I'd take the drawer because its good for storing things like hand towels, oven mitts, and anything else that you might need to grab quickly. Most of the things I would store in that cabinet wouldn't work well if stored in a spare corner of the kitchen, whereas a stainless wastebasket works great for that (and makes it easier to pull the bag out). But again, that's one man's kitchen and YMMV.
"Rotting food?"
Ewww.... Someone needs to be assigned the job of taking the trash out every now and then, maybe?

Yes, suggestions play directly into kitchen size.
We have a bit more cabinets than average, and with the drawers we have, we have tons of empty space, and appreciate the convenience.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:11 PM

Did I mention I have a small, oddly shaped kitchen?
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Cabinet Prices (Local)-kitchen-1.jpg   Kitchen Cabinet Prices (Local)-kitchen-2.jpg   Kitchen Cabinet Prices (Local)-kitchen-3.jpg  

Old 04-14-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Here's the thing....
When we bought, about 2 years ago, Lowe's did not offer frameless, and HD only had them in low end, fairly junky stuff.
We probably would have gone with Lowes if they could have offered them.

And, let's bust your budget!!!! JFF...
When you have your kitchen torn up, invest in other stuff:

1. IF your range hood does not vent to the outside, get that done.

2. Add properly wired undercabinet LED light strips. It will cost you a licensed electrician, but it is so worth it for food prep and pleasant indirect light. Of course, you have to install a trim around the cabinet bottoms to hide the strips. More $$$.

3. I even put outlets above the cabinets, and have plugged in lighting up there on a separate switch. Heartthrob said, "Above? Why?" And the first time I hit the switch, it was, "Oooohhhh.... Nice."

YES:

NO:
(see pictures of small oddly shaped kitchen)

1) If I did that, there'd be no place for the microwave. Plus, I'd have to have a soffit (if that's the right term) built above the cabinets. Definitely no room for a big fancy stove hood!

2) Food prep isn't done under the cabinets, so although I do like the underlit cabinet appearance, can probably pass on that.

3) While I might invest in some new lighting, probably not over the cabinets.

4) Cabinet space is too valuable (see pictures) to give up any for a trash can. Instead it lives around the corner, on top of a dog food bin.

Any other suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary