Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,750,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Yes, but message #131 was posted only with readers of message #129 in mind, where I stated the useful purpose of said revenue. The way this works is we don't repeat every idea in every single message; it would be wasteful and laborious. It's much better to assume the reader is capable of holding their attention span to more than one block of text at a time; we don't treat one message like it represents the entire discussion. Cherry picking only the lines you'd like to challenge is considered out of bounds in threaded discussions.

Plus, even with a limited context, you're still incorrect. I said nothing about lining the pockets of backwater politicians. I said they were greedy and would be attracted to the revenue opportunities. That doesn't imply they would be able to simply stuff their own piggy banks with that revenue -- it still needs to be allocated and spent some way. Politicians don't do what they do for the numbers on the paycheck. They do it because they are addicted to the idea of power and the constant feeding of the ego that goes with it.

So this bill, are you in favor or against?
No need to be a condescending panda bear. You are doing a bit of implication yourself. It's completely in context to link your quoted post of #129 which mentions people in the General Assembly w/ backwater politicians being greedy and thus wanting to "stuff their own piggy banks" with them $$ bills. Greedy people can do shady things.

Also yes, I think this bill is a good idea considering the State Highway Patrol is on board with it:

Quote:
Sponsor Rep. Duane Hall, D-Wake, said the proposal was suggested by the State Highway Patrol, which said tight clusters of cars backed up behind left-lane drivers and people trying to pass on the right cause more wrecks than speeders do
Source: House set to vote on passing lane law :: WRAL.com

With all that said, let's just digress and agree that internet forums be cray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,825,979 times
My wife an I are on a road trip in the northeast. They have it figured out. Not sure about the actual law, but the road signs say "Keep right except to pass". Doesn't need to be more complicated. Don't even address the speed limit as that obviously still applies.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 AM

188 posts, read 152,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
No need to be a condescending panda bear. You are doing a bit of implication yourself. It's completely in context to link your quoted post of #129 which mentions people in the General Assembly w/ backwater politicians being greedy and thus wanting to "stuff their own piggy banks" with them $$ bills. Greedy people can do shady things.
Actually I said the opposite. My words, unedited and in their original context, were: "I said they were greedy and would be attracted to the revenue opportunities. That doesn't imply they would be able to simply stuff their own piggy banks with that revenue". I'm sure those reading got as much entertainment from your spin as they did when you complained of my condescending tone right as you called me childish names (such as "cactus wagon" and "panda bear").
Just for the record, my comment about them keeping themselves comfortably in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to implies maintaining the status quo, not necessarily supplementing their income under the table or otherwise lining their pockets to elevate their status to a new level. Just give it some thought and I think it will all come together.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:51 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,750,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Actually I said the opposite. My words, unedited and in their original context, were: "I said they were greedy and would be attracted to the revenue opportunities. That doesn't imply they would be able to simply stuff their own piggy banks with that revenue". I'm sure those reading got as much entertainment from your spin as they did when you complained of my condescending tone right as you called me childish names (such as "cactus wagon" and "panda bear").
Just for the record, my comment about them keeping themselves comfortably in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to implies maintaining the status quo, not necessarily supplementing their income under the table or otherwise lining their pockets to elevate their status to a new level. Just give it some thought and I think it will all come together.

We were discussing your posts #128 and #131, now look who's shifting things around. I even stated a post number in my last post regarding what I was talking about. You also have been acting childish with your "herpa-derpa-nappy-poo" in #136 so how about we just call this a draw and together stop acting like internet warrior trolls.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,486,885 times
This is the most hare brained traffic law I've ever heard.

If someone is at the speed limit, they should not need to make room for a speed demon who wants to break the law.

The other person can move right, get ahead of the other driver, and move back left to continue their journey to a traffic citation.

Unless the vehicle behind is an emergency vehicle sounding appropriate warnings, a person doing the limit should let the tailgater go beep at their will until they go back to NJ. My father was a cab driver and his response to these people was "blow it out your arse". The cabs had speed limiters set to the speed limit.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 AM

188 posts, read 152,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

If someone is at the speed limit, they should not need to make room for a speed demon who wants to break the law.

The other person can move right, get ahead of the other driver, and move back left to continue their journey to a traffic citation.

Unless the vehicle behind is an emergency vehicle sounding appropriate warnings, a person doing the limit should let the tailgater go beep at their will until they go back to NJ. My father was a cab driver and his response to these people was "blow it out your arse". The cabs had speed limiters set to the speed limit.
Seems like a clue-searching expedition might be highly beneficial in this case. The purpose of the law is to keep passing traffic in the left lane because it's much safer.

There are plenty of reasons to exceed the speed limit in order to rectify unsafe traffic conditions, and it does not make the driver a "speed demon". If everyone goes exactly the speed limit, it means that with each additional vehicle that merges onto the highway in question, the distance between cars must increasingly be reduced (unsafe), or the flow of traffic on the highway must fall progressively behind (inefficient). The only reasonable solution is to allow cars to do what they need to do in order to create a safe amount of distance between each car. Speed limits are intentionally set or adjusted with a margin for adjusting in mind. The posted speed limit targets 85 percentile (the speed at which 85% of traffic moves), not the maximum safe speed. Speed limits are not designed to limit occasional passing, they take it into consideration as a necessary component of traffic safety. Exceeding the speed limit temporarily to create safer conditions (safe distance between cars) without disrupting the flow of traffic is the recommended practice by state troopers, driving educators, and most others with a clue and professional interest in the matter.

Slow drivers that entitle themselves prevent this safety practice by loitering in the left lane are a hazard to society; for this reason the law encourages slow people to keep right. It is not reasonable to expect folks at this level of mental capacity to follow a complicated system of passing, so they simplify it by asking them to stick to a single lane -- it's best to just stay out of the way of progress and let others continue on, and simple rules are easily to follow for simple minds. If there is no rule indicating which is the slow lane and which is the passing lane, inevitably you end up with slow drivers finding themselves comfortable blocking all lanes.

As it turns out, the same people that loiter in the left lane are also too slow to understand the consequences of their actions, thus it has been determined that a bit more proactive (and punitive) consequences must be established in order to help them understand. If you still don't agree with this upcoming law, I'd suggest putting a few thousand bucks aside in order to pay future fines until such time as you decide you'd like to drive like a team player.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 AM

703 posts, read 783,618 times
Quote:

On practically every interstate and major divided highway, each left lane is designed as the overtaking lane for its adjacent right lane. If you are in the left lane and not overtaking anyone and going the same speed as the car to your right, you are acting as a moving roadblock. If you are not looking to overtake anyone, then there is absolutely no reason to be in that lane. If you are going at exactly the same speed (or slower) than the car to the right of you, then fall in behind them. The speed limit is an irrelevant argument.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,624,109 times
Page 50 of the Driver's Handbook:

The law requires you to drive on the right side of the road. Driving on the left
side is legal only in some cases, such as on one-way streets and while passing.
When you are moving slower than the posted speed limit on a multi-lane
highway, drive in the extreme right lane unless you are passing, turning left or
avoiding an obstruction.

There are definitely cases where I drive in the left lane - if traffic is slow in both lanes I may camp out in the left lane, if there's a lot of merging traffic from the right up ahead I'll switch to the left lane etc.... but in general you should keep to the right side of the road if at all possible.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,771,086 times
Quote:

Or you could just swallow your pride, not be passive aggressive, and move over to get out of their way.

Its amazing how territorial and passive aggressive people are on the roads. Take a breath, move over, move on. Or you could endanger everyone else on the road by being passive aggressive. "THEY are the ones being dangerous, not me!" - you control your behavior, you don't control theirs. Do the right thing and everyone will be better off.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,825,979 times
It's actually not leagl to pass on the right so suggesting people do that as a matter of course won't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary