Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:54 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
We went last week to Philly and stopped at the Wegmans at Dale City to see what all the fuss was about. We went on I-95 and the traffic was horrendous. It took us forever to get there and back. Only highlight of the trip was wegmans and it was very close to i95 and convenient.
Was Philly a disappointment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 07:20 PM

750 posts, read 854,125 times
It was unfortunately. The rocky steps were covered, the love statue has gone somewhere for renovation. Parts were dirty. I don't know what we were expecting but we won't be back. Loved Amish country on the wAy back and Intercourse is a great little town :-)

Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
It was unfortunately. The rocky steps were covered, the love statue has gone somewhere for renovation. Parts were dirty. I don't know what we were expecting but we won't be back. Loved Amish country on the wAy back and Intercourse is a great little town :-)
The Liberty Bell? Society Hill? Reading Terminal? Independent Hall? South Street? Little Italy? Cheesesteaks and soft pretzels? Mutter Museum?

Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The Liberty Bell? Society Hill? Reading Terminal? Independent Hall? South Street? Little Italy? Cheesesteaks and soft pretzels? Mutter Museum?
Chinatown, the Japanese tea house, hoagies, a Phillies game, City Tavern, the view from Billy Penn's hat. . .

Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Chinatown, the Japanese tea house, hoagies, a Phillies game, City Tavern, the view from Billy Penn's hat. . .
Actually, I think a Durham Bulls game beats a Phillips game.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think a Durham Bulls game beats a Phillips game.
Fair enough, but there's so much to see & do. . .I wonder if they went into the Art Museum through one of the other entrances or called it a day since the front steps were unavailable.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Fair enough, but there's so much to see & do. . .I wonder if they went into the Art Museum through one of the other entrances or called it a day since the front steps were unavailable.
I know. I cannot imagine not finding a ton of fun and cool things to do in a city the size and of historical importance like Philadelphia. Reading Terminal is awesome. And of course all of the American Independence historical sites like Independence Hall. Liberty Bell, and Betsy Ross's house. But I believe that AngelKitten is a Brit, so perhaps she didn't like hearing American Revolution history from the winner's point of view... Just kidding, AngelKitten.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I know. I cannot imagine not finding a ton of fun and cool things to do in a city the size and of historical importance like Philadelphia. Reading Terminal is awesome. And of course all of the American Independence historical sites like Independence Hall. Liberty Bell, and Betsy Ross's house. But I believe that AngelKitten is a Brit, so perhaps she didn't like hearing American Revolution history from the winner's point of view... Just kidding, AngelKitten.
I didn't realize that AngelKitten was a Brit - and that does explain some of her experience. I remember when I lived in Philly in the 1980's and my English cousins came to visit me. I proudly toured them around Society Hill saying, "look, that house was built in 1780! And that one in 1746! They politely smiled, and reminded me that they were renovating their own home, built around 1300. And doing most of the work themselves!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
That's just strange, to me. I remember the British rock groups scheduling breaks in Philadelphia. They used to go over to WMMR & talk on the air to one of the disc jockeys. They always said how much they enjoyed it there because of the similarity of parts of old city to certain parts of London.

The Academy of Natural Science has Lewis & Clarks' diaries, etc. Oh well. . .

Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize that AngelKitten was a Brit - and that does explain some of her experience. I remember when I lived in Philly in the 1980's and my English cousins came to visit me. I proudly toured them around Society Hill saying, "look, that house was built in 1780! And that one in 1746! They politely smiled, and reminded me that they were renovating their own home, built around 1300. And doing most of the work themselves!
It's hard to say what works for some but not for others.

If you use the directions that I gave you, the Wegmans that I directed you to is the Cherry Hill store. It's the closest to Center City. If you are looking for a meal, when you hit Haddonfield, my directions have you passing Oriental Pearl. It's a wonderful little restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary