Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM

282 posts, read 835,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
I totally disagree with the thought that we are tech heavy. Yes, we have a lot of tech jobs, but we have a lot of other industry also. This is not Silicon Valley. We have manufacturing, tech, medical, pharmaceutical, banking, retail and more. The fact that we are so diverse is our strength. The fact that there have been recessions before and we are this strong now is a testimony to what we have here. I left MA, partly because they never recovered for the '81 recession. They could not as they did not have the infrastructure that we have here.
Actually - this area has been getting compared to Silicon Valley for a while due to its Tech concentration. What I think you mean is we're not focused uniquely on tech.

The last stats I saw comparing the two actually stated that the Triangle was a BETTER tech place to be than Silicon Valley. Of course - that was about 10 months ago, and the landscape has changed somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
^^RTP is partially in Durham County. Not Durham.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 PM

28 posts, read 17,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
I could not disagree with you more and I can not make it any clearer than I have.
Then you should go back and read some of the responses you've written in this discussion. Your words speak for themselves.

Every time someone writes a comment that isn't brimming with your enthusiasm, you infer that they're cheerleading a collapse of the local economy, which is ridiculous on your part.

The Triangle's great, it's incredible, it's unbelievably awesome in all possible ways... and I totally agree that it will have a much easier time riding out a recession than many other parts of the country. Is that better?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 PM

403 posts, read 353,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeeler View Post
I totally agree that it will have a much easier time riding out a recession than many other parts of the country. Is that better?

I am glad that you agree with that point.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
So what job sectors would people like to see grow in this area?

Manufacturing is a thing of the past in the U.S. not just NC....

Banking is taking its lumps in a huge way right now.....

Same thing with home construction.

So what other big sectors are there? Insurance? Business Services? Entertainment?

Having higher paying jobs is great....but what type of jobs should they be?

Seriously, no sarcasm intended in this post....what job sectors would make this area economically diverse and stronger?
All the above.... seriously diversity is good.

And, I don't agree that all of banking is taking it's lumps. Some banking divisions grow in good times, while others grow in downward cycles in the economy. Banks are much more diversified these days with many, many different products.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I believe RTP shares a post office with Durham. My work mailing address says Durham, NC 27709.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Okay, they updated their article and it states that Durham city AND Durham county are the second hottest job market in the country. They also state that RTP is a big reason why. They state 80% will increase jobs and 20% will hold steady. They state this area is much more resilient to a downturn.

Is there any other proof you need?

Bull City Job Market Among Nation’s Hottest :: WRAL.com

Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,462 times
Im glad the survey shows good signs for Durham, I live in Cary and work in Raleigh, One can only hope a survey shows it will grow here as well to try to keep up with transplants. (jobs that is). Im not really understanding why some one from MA is getting so worked up over whether or not NC will suffer from economic woes or not Are you trying to justify your move here. You state everyone is posting Doom and Gloom, I spent my entire life here its my home state. I helped make it a good place for you to come to. Why would I bash what I have links to. I totally agree Nc is a much better state then any Northern states,always has been. If you are happy here dont worry about it relax.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM

21 posts, read 79,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Absolutely. I would like to know how many people who are claiming that the Triangle is recession-proof were actually living here during the last recession? If you don't remember a time when Nortel, Cisco, Ericsson, IBM, Glaxo, and even Duke Hospitals were laying people off by the hundreds each, you lack the proper perspective to understand what could happen in the current recession.

And recently in the news - Ericsson to cut 4,000 jobs - Triangle Business Journal:. Watch for news about them moving at least part of their operation out of the Triangle in the next few months as well.

Please do not remind me of that time. It sends shivers down my spine. I only remember the gloomy atmosphere at work. The people laid off were gloomy and the one not laid off were also gloomy. Those were desperate times.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Im glad the survey shows good signs for Durham, I live in Cary and work in Raleigh, One can only hope a survey shows it will grow here as well to try to keep up with transplants. (jobs that is). Im not really understanding why some one from MA is getting so worked up over whether or not NC will suffer from economic woes or not Are you trying to justify your move here. You state everyone is posting Doom and Gloom, I spent my entire life here its my home state. I helped make it a good place for you to come to. Why would I bash what I have links to. I totally agree Nc is a much better state then any Northern states,always has been. If you are happy here dont worry about it relax.

I am relaxed and not worried. I started this thread to talk about the great companies coming to or expanding in this area and about the strength of our local economy compared to the U.S. I am not sure why talking positively about the area is such an issue with some people. Although we are not allowed to point out any particular member, I can assure you that I have seen many, many posts on many threads that totally trash the area without any information to actually back it up. I have chosen to be positive and have backed up my position with fact. When someone disputes the facts on a hair splitting technicality, I back it up with more factual information. Is there a problem with pointing out reality and trying to calm down the natural human panic emotions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary