Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:52 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,762,104 times

Advertisements

I was shocked when I opened my Durham water bill just this past week. It was double the amount and usage was also double. We usually use about 500 or so gallons per month and the bill is between $45-$50. This bill was nearly $100 and the usage was over 1100 gallons.

I immediately called the water dept and they had someone come out to re check the reading and to see if there were any leaks on the outside of the house. They have not gotten the results back as of yet.

I was told they were responsible if the leak was from the street to the meter but that I would be responsible for any problems from the meter on the side of the house to where it ties in in my garage just about 10 feet from the meter.

I turned off the water on all 3 toilets turning them on when I need to use them. There are no leaks in any sinks and if the toilets are leaking it has to be what the rep called a silent leak.

The house is just 3 years old there seem to be no signs of shower pipes leaking but who knows? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 04:19 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times
This happened to me in Raleigh about 20 yrs ago. We had a pipe leaking in our front yard. Have you walked around and looked for wet, soft spots in yard? Follow piping from street to your home. I hope it's not that, cost us about $2k for repair. Had to dig a trench and expose pipes in front yard.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 AM

360 posts, read 400,135 times
there are too many leaks these days. I would check the toilets first.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:49 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,770 times
Maybe a silly question, but with warmer temps you haven't had outside irrigation turned on? Pool or hot tub that was filled/topped off? Extra water for a new garden? Anything along those lines?
Our bill bumped (not double though) but I can pretty much attribute it to the garden and new plants going in along with the dogs splash pool being filled/re-filled several days a week.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Gold test is to read meter and shut all water usage off including water heater.

If meter reading goes up after about an hour, something is leaking. Water leaks before the meter will not hit your bill.

Some pipes may be in a crawl space or embedded in the concrete slab.

If use test shows an issue and the, consult a good plumber.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
there are too many leaks these days. I would check the toilets first.
I agree. I'd check the toilets first. Those can be a major leak source.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:12 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
We once had a neighbor using our water for his garden. Cheapskate.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:31 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Do you have an irrigation system for your front or backyard? Those rubber tunes and plugs break easily and regularly. And could easily cause a change in your water bill as you describe. We've had it happen several times here in Raleigh with our 4 year old system and in Phoenix with an older system. DH was able to do the repairs himself.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Do you have an irrigation system for your front or backyard? Those rubber tunes and plugs break easily and regularly. And could easily cause a change in your water bill as you describe. We've had it happen several times here in Raleigh with our 4 year old system and in Phoenix with an older system. DH was able to do the repairs himself.
If you have a irrigation system you should have separate meter, etc. otherwise you are paying for sewer when you use your irrigation.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Gold test is to read meter and shut all water usage off including water heater.

If meter reading goes up after about an hour, something is leaking. Water leaks before the meter will not hit your bill.

Some pipes may be in a crawl space or embedded in the concrete slab.

If use test shows an issue and the, consult a good plumber.
I second this approach. Take a pic of the meter with your cell phone or just write down the numbers. Heck, turn everything off, go out for a meal and come back. That should be plenty of time to test it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary