Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:26 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

The school spokesman says

"Exceptions to the rule can be made for students with disabilities, but Luten said Rivera did not ask for special accommodations for her son."

How can they say she has not asked for accommodations ??
I assume they mean it wasn't asked for beforehand, but she has asked
for consideration now because of ADD and the accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 02:39 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The school spokesman says

"Exceptions to the rule can be made for students with disabilities, but Luten said Rivera did not ask for special accommodations for her son."

How can they say she has not asked for accommodations ??
I assume they mean it wasn't asked for beforehand, but she has asked
for consideration now because of ADD and the accident.
That's not how life works.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:00 PM

390 posts, read 366,580 times
If we are drawing analogies to exams, generally speaking, accommodations have to be requested beforehand. You don't get to fail and then say it shouldn't count because you want accommodations (at least anywhere I have seen).

It's an unfortunate scenario, but I actually find it admirable the school is sticking to it's guns on this one. It's a valuable life lesson for all involved, schools do far too much bowing down to parental tantrums these days, and let's be real...the consequences are not THAT severe. This is a celebratory event that ultimately means jack. How many of us even remember our HS graduation? I'm younger than many here and am not sure I could even tell you where mine took place. It's not like they are making the kid repeat senior year.

I understand the parents are upset, but I think it's quite reasonable for the school to have firm rules and stand by them, given it sounds like they went through ample effort to inform the student and parent.

Last edited by JO783; 06-10-2017 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 07:01 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Agree with you, they gave the whole family a lifelong punishment for being ADD.
It seems a Dr's note confirming the ADD should have sufficed.
I am a friend of a friend of the mom's and I assure you this will not be the end of
it.
a lifelong punishment? jeebus, back away from the hysteria.

It seems quite clear she never provided any Doctor's note before he missed the practice. Quite frankly, I call BS on her claim that she didn't get communication. I got a text about receiving a call, the call, and a message today. And a message at the home phone. I get them EVERY SINGLE WEEK and sometimes when the principal just feels like sending another message (like, a Code Yellow, etc).

What is she going to do that this "not the end of it". Sue WCPSS for pain and suffering? Sue them to hold a full graduation ceremony just for him?

Old 06-10-2017, 07:24 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Had they ensured we had the proper communications and not relied on some automated system, I would have been able to ensure my son arrived at the rehearsal. Now my son is being punished and kept away from his graduation ceremony all because this school uses an unreasonable method of communication.
I honestly don't understand what's going on here. Is it the kid's ADD? Was it the car accident? Was it the "unreasonable method of communication" by the school? This is all just so bizarre - I feel like she's grabbing any possible excuse and using every single one of them.

I'm curious what her definition is of a reasonable method of communication.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
a lifelong punishment? jeebus, back away from the hysteria.
Yes, walking in your High School graduation is a significant life event.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I honestly don't understand what's going on here. Is it the kid's ADD? Was it the car accident? Was it the "unreasonable method of communication" by the school?
Why can't it be the combination of all those things. A kid that has ADD will have a harder time remembering things during a stressful period of time like right after a car accident.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Why can't it be the combination of all those things. A kid that has ADD will have a harder time remembering things during a stressful period of time like right after a car accident.
I assumed m378 meant the mom, not the child.

It is the parents' (it seems there's a Dad at home too) responsibility. They are the ones who know their child the best. They know what he does retain and what he doesn't. They have to double-check behind him. Not the system.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

They are the ones who know their child the best. They know what he does retain and what he doesn't. They have to double-check behind him. Not the system.

Says the person who has never raised an ADD kid.

When they hit high school you have to let them try to develop their own systems to keep up with
information. You cannot do it 100% for them and then send them to college to figure it all out.
But they often struggle with this.

So no, parents double checking every single thing is not possible and not best for the kid.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Every bit of authority and responsibility that my 15 year old has, she got because we allowed it.

She tries, and some things she gets immediately. Some things we have to be repetitive. Some things we try, but ultimately I take control back. That is adolescence. Not ADD.

And I don't expect to simply "send her to college to figure it out".

For you and RedZin and a few others, it's a PERSONAL battle. Anything bad that happens to an ADD child/family you are now taking it as an assault on YOU. I haven't seen any say he's a bad child, or many say she's a bad mom. But we ALL make mistakes. SHE has to accept the consequences, and HE has to accept them too.

Sometimes my children make mistakes, and sometimes guess what - I make mistakes that have caused them some angst. That's called life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary