Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times

Advertisements

Authentic Japanese? Where? I haven't found such a thing but admittedly I stopped looking more than 5 years ago.

Hint: if the sushi menu has any expensive/gimmicky rolls on the list, then it isn't authentic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 PM

27 posts, read 37,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Authentic Japanese? Where? I haven't found such a thing but admittedly I stopped looking more than 5 years ago.

Hint: if the sushi menu has any expensive/gimmicky rolls on the list, then it isn't authentic.
Yamazushi in Durham is very authentic Japanese.

Waraji, Kashin also have very good Japanese food.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:45 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
Quote:

You mean the Tarheel roll isn't authentic??!!!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Sushi Tsune on Hillsborough is pretty authentic

Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I'm happy here in Cary. I think the demand for European food is waning. But other ethnic food selections are plentiful, albeit you'll have to drive. It could just be that immigration from those parts of the world were on the down-tick for some time and those that know how to cook the authentic stuff aren't there. Whereas there are immigrants or second generation Americans with the ability to cook delicious Mediterranean, Indian, Chinese, Ethiopian, Korean, Laotian, Mexican, Peruvian, Vietnamese, and Central American food.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Well, I guess I should have said The Triangle instead of just Raleigh. Including Durham, Morrisville, Cary Chapelboro
Restaurants, not cities. Others actually answered this for Japanese, interested still in the Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonAmQB View Post
Yamazushi in Durham is very authentic Japanese.
Waraji, Kashin also have very good Japanese food.
The first two have been on my list to visit as they seem good, the last is new to me.

Quote:
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Sushi Tsune on Hillsborough is pretty authentic
I have yet personally to go but a trusted source agrees with you as it being the real thing

Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
It's sad there are no polish restaurants besides J Betskis. That's not really polish anyway. It's a wanna be polish hipster restaurant.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Repatriot, Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro is generally regarded very highly as authentic Schezwan if you order from the Chinese menu. They had stuff that was a little too authentic for me (stinky tofu and the 100 year egg) when we went there.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:08 AM

168 posts, read 349,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Repatriot, Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro is generally regarded very highly as authentic Schezwan if you order from the Chinese menu. They had stuff that was a little too authentic for me (stinky tofu and the 100 year egg) when we went there.
Gourmet Kingdom is delicious! My partner's work colleagues from Shanghai love going there and will testify to the authenticity.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:33 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Raleigh itself likely does not have the population density to support all the ethnic variations the OP desires. Restaurants are extremely risky businesses that also require a significant investment to get up and running. There needs to be a predictable demand for the type of cuisine a restaurant offers. It helps immensely to have a healthy cohort of local immigrants of the country/region that would be native to or familiar with a particular ethnic cuisine. Otherwise, the restaurant is relying on the epicurean curiosity of the otherwise unfamiliar populace. That's often why food trucks are able to specialize in a particular ethnic cuisine, as they require considerably less of an investment than a bricks-and-mortar restaurant. And people are often willing to experiment with such offerings as well. Perhaps the new food hall referenced earlier in this thread will be the avenue that enables the diversity of cuisine the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary