Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
wow...5-6 kids???
One of the biggest safety rules is one kid at a time....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Hmm..well, I must not have gotten the memo. These are little ones (Kindergarten and 1st graders...all small) that do not jump very high, if at all. Mostly, they are playing games on it.
The older kids are limited to 3 or 4..but ONE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I hate to disagree but you didn't do much research if you didn't know that one of the main safety rules is one child at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Um....yes, I did do research..thank you very much. I ain't called the "research queen" for nothing.
Actually it seems worse to have done the research and know the
rule about one at a time, but ignore it for your kids and other peoples kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 05:20 AM

223 posts, read 566,611 times
I don't think using a trampoline is the same as helmets or car seats. I think ignoring the safety rules is what is the same. Taking precautions to prevent accidents is what I am referring to. It's all good for a parent to choose to let their 9 year old to ride in the front seat until the air bag deploys-less of an issue if the child rides in the back seat until age 12 as recommeded by safety groups. Having only one jumping at a time on a trampoline lessens the risk of one or more children bouncing off, colliding with one another or landing wrong on one of their limbs or worse. It's more fun for sure for more kids to jump togehter and do flips and sommersaults. Everyone needs to be comfortable with their own choices and potential consequences. They don't just make up these guidelines out of the blue.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
Jeez, you have got to be kidding me! We bought a trampoline earlier this year; they all come with the enclosed cage safety net feature as an option these days- spend the extra $100. Having said that, anyone know if this mitigates the insurance issue? I was thinking of contacting my insurance company about umbrella coverage in case any of the neighbor kids get hurt when they use it (without our permission when we are out of the house)....

Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
why even take the chance? To me it is not worth the possible problems.

Our neighbors got one a few months ago. Both are PhDs in science at Duke. They did not get netting. They don't require their kids to wear helmets on bikes and they ride lose in the car. Not even a CAR SEAT FOR THE 4 YEAR OLD. iT BOGGLES THE MIND. Education does not make anybody bright.

We talked at length about it and just today told our kids they cannot jump on it anymore. We explained how a moment in time can seriously injure them even if they follow the rules . But this family does not have any rules and we can't make rules for somebody else's property.

Our kids understood and starting naming all the other outside activities we have to play with so I don't think they will miss it. I sure feel better about our decision.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
We had a trampoline for our kids for years. We didn't have the cage, although I think if buying today I'd get one. We had simple rules - one kid at a time when jumping, stay in the middle, and no flips. We never had a problem.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
We had a trampoline for our kids for years. We didn't have the cage, although I think if buying today I'd get one. We had simple rules - one kid at a time when jumping, stay in the middle, and no flips. We never had a problem.
Same here!

I do wonder if an insurance company really has anything to say about the liability of a trampoline. It makes sense. However, we had a tree fall on our trampoline once, during an ice storm and our insurance company actually paid to have it repaired, along with repairs to the fence and the corner of the roof.

Vicki

Old 05-01-2010, 09:14 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,189 times
Rest assured Vicki, insurers have plenty to say about trampolines.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 AM

61 posts, read 163,540 times
Lets keep this simple: DO NOT BUY ONE OR PUT ONE ON YOUR PROPERTY. Put insurance aside. I work with Orthopaedic surgeons in the OR and we see a lot of accidents from tramplines. Everyone knows its extremely dangerous to ride a motorcycle for a variety of reasons. If you wouldn't let your kids/husband/wife/loved-one ride a motorcycle I would not let them use a trampoline. If they must, must get on one go to a professional gym that can teach you the proper way to use one and has safety standards in place. My 2cents.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Speaking of accidents...when hubby and I were dating, I had a trampoline and while we were both jumping at once, he bounced off and broke his arm.

Hubby has a Harley, too. Maybe he likes living dangerously???

Daughter's friend broke her finger on our trampoline.

Yup...accidents happen.

If I had small children today, I'd only get the trampoline with the netting.

Vicki

Old 05-01-2010, 05:01 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,393 times
No trampolines here. Thankfully I get to use our insurance company to back me up with the decision. I was a gymnast and broke my ankle on a backyard ttrampoline. I was on the rampoline with one other girl and she landed wrong, on me. It's aching right now...22 years later. They are not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary