Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We started shopping HT when the Kroger across the street was being built.
HT was extremely aggressive, mailing out (IIRC) many "$10.00 off on $50.00" purchase coupons routinely.
And, the service was excellent. Much, much better than at the Maynard Crossing Kroger.
Two-fold approach...
Getting people into an HT, and prepping people to go to HT at Stone Creek when it was completed.
I never stepped into the Kroger, as coming from the east on HH Road, access is poor.

It is ironic that now Kroger is closing that HT....

Hey, put a Lidl in there...
Or, another Trader Joes.
TJ certainly turned around the shopping center they are in at Cary Parkway and Kildaire.
Ummm Kroger OWNS Harris Teeter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:24 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
What kills me is that there's only two Harris Teeters in all of Cumberland County (Fayetteville) which has 300K+ people, but there's like 50 Harris Teeters within the Triangle area. They definitely overbuilt in some areas, and not enough in others
Harris Teeter purposely goes after the areas that are upper middle class or upper class so they can get more people to their stores and make more money.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,691 times
I work next door. HT was always dead but that staff became family. So sad. They have 3 businesses interested. Not sure who but I am hoping for Trader Joes or Fresh Mkt. It's prime real estate. Gyms tend to take over high ceiling abandoned buildings. I hope not.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:16 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Would love a Trader Joes there.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:20 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Durham has over 250K people, but it only has four (soon to be five*) Harris Teeter locations. Chapel Hill has five and it has a fraction of the population.

Fayetteville was supposed to get a large store, but I heard it was canceled.

*The fifth store is technically in Durham's city limits, even though it's in Wake County. If you don't pay attention to city limits, you could easily confuse it for Raleigh.
Are you including Carrboro in your count of HT's in Chapel Hill? Even then I can only think of 4..... Carrboro, Chapel Hill North, UMall, and Meadowmont.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:02 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Are you including Carrboro in your count of HT's in Chapel Hill? Even then I can only think of 4..... Carrboro, Chapel Hill North, UMall, and Meadowmont.
I included Carrboro, and the one in Chatham County by the line, so:

Carr Mill, University Place, Chapel Hill North, Meadowmont, and the one in Chatham County

Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseyboy View Post
I work next door. HT was always dead but that staff became family. So sad. They have 3 businesses interested. Not sure who but I am hoping for Trader Joes or Fresh Mkt. It's prime real estate. Gyms tend to take over high ceiling abandoned buildings. I hope not.
There's already a gymnastics place there, or are we talking about a gym like Planet Fitness or something? I do hope something that draws people goes into that shopping center, I can never figure out why nothing can make it in there. My vet is there though...I don't want to travel any farther for that!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:15 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
There's a new Thai/Sushi place that's supposed to be going in there on the very end next to the gymnastics place. No restaurant has ever survived that location - I wonder if it'll even open now, it's been under construction for a LONG time.

The gymnastics place and Aqua Tots do well, but they're destinations. NY Pizza and Urban Turban do well, but could easily move elsewhere.

As much as I'm not a Trader Joe's guy, and I'd hate the additional traffic, I agree there's probably a need in that part of town. I'd rather see something less busy. The plaza over on Kildaire with the Trader Joe's is an absolute nightmare because of it. Save Trader Joe's for the debacle that'll be going in at GLW and 540.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I agree about the traffic TJ's would bring....but I think the lot can handle it especially in light of where the other businesses are laid out in relation to the HT....I wonder if the access to 540 makes this a more attractive option for retailers than it otherwise would be. Let's hope so because I don't want to see it knocked down to make room for more houses.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:42 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Imagine--by 2019, the two best grocers in the U.S. will be a few miles apart, over on nearby Davis Dr.

Wegmans Is Officially America's Favorite Grocery Store. | HuffPost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary