Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times

Advertisements

This thread is half tongue-in-cheek, half serious.

I feel like those homeowners who aren't taking advantage of "hail damage" to get their 20 year old roofs replaced at the expense of other homeowners, should be recognized in some way.

If I owned an insurance company, I'd target the older neighborhoods with with the most roof insurance claims, and give my customers who chose to be ethical a break by not increasing their premiums for a few years.

Come on insurance companies, step up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This thread is half tongue-in-cheek, half serious.

I feel like those homeowners who aren't taking advantage of "hail damage" to get their 20 year old roofs replaced at the expense of other homeowners, should be recognized in some way.

If I owned an insurance company, I'd target the older neighborhoods with with the most roof insurance claims, and give my customers who chose to be ethical a break by not increasing their premiums for a few years.

It seems to really bother you when homeowners have a roof replaced due to hail. Have you never had a serious hail storm the has damaged your roof? While we lived in Texas we had hail storms many times. I never had my roof even looked at by a roofer - but then, about 1.5 years before we moved we had a monster hail storm. I thought my windows would break it was so bad. We ended up needing a new roof, new garage doors, and new screens on our windows. I called a roofer and my insurance company, we all met up together and my claim was granted (or whatever it is called). I got a new roof. I paid my premium for years and that is the reason why I do not feel bad for getting a new roof on my 13 year old house. Of course, the storm did hit my entire neighborhood and so many of my neighbors got new roofs around the same time. If you live in an area that hail happens, you might be a little more understanding in regards to hail claims.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
It seems to really bother you when homeowners have a roof replaced due to hail. Have you never had a serious hail storm the has damaged your roof? While we lived in Texas we had hail storms many times. I never had my roof even looked at by a roofer - but then, about 1.5 years before we moved we had a monster hail storm. I thought my windows would break it was so bad. We ended up needing a new roof, new garage doors, and new screens on our windows. I called a roofer and my insurance company, we all met up together and my claim was granted (or whatever it is called). I got a new roof. I paid my premium for years and that is the reason why I do not feel bad for getting a new roof on my 13 year old house. Of course, the storm did hit my entire neighborhood and so many of my neighbors got new roofs around the same time. If you live in an area that hail happens, you might be a little more understanding in regards to hail claims.
I agree people should feel free to get their claim paid in a situation like this. We haven't had hail like that since I lived here (7 years) - the last hail I can remember was in May 2016. That barely scratched my car. I was at work - it didn't hail at my house.

Hail tends to be very localized too. It will tend to fall over a certain area and that's it - it doesn't move for miles and miles like a rainstorm will. How close attention is paid to this depends on the insurance company.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
The insurance company has an adjuster come on site to look at the roof, it has to meet certain criteria in order to be replaced. Insurance companies aren't in the business to pay out claims that have no merit or they wouldn't be in business. I don't see what the issue is.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
I personally think there should be some adjustment for the age of the roof. My neighbors recently got their 30 year old roof (with 20-25 year shingles) replaced for the cost of their deductible due to hail damage. On the other hand, I saw that my roof was on it's last legs 9 years ago so I ponied up the cash and took care of it myself. Our houses are the same age, and our roofs were in similar condition.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I have no issue with legitimate claims, but I do have issues with non-legitimate claims.

I can personally speak to the fact that roofers, even local reputable roofers, are specifically looking for insurance work currently. I had four local roofing companies out because our roof is nearing it's end of life - we were planning on paying cash to replace. Three of the four seemed to really want to go the insurance route, taking pictures of tiny dings on vents and things like that. The final roofer came out and said you don't have any hail damage worthy of repair, you don't need a new roof, get your vent boots replaced and you're good for another 3-5 years. I appreciated the honesty.

Look I'm all for people utilizing their homeowners insurance - that's what it's there for. But there is no doubt there is unethical stuff going on, and it's not fair to the ethical people out there. The last major hail storm was I believe 1.5 years ago or so in my area. What happened is the out of state hail chasers moved in and started putting up "insurance approved!" signs, and everyone and their mother got in on the free roof train. It'd be pretty ignorant to think that all of these claims are legit. It's impossible for the insurance companies to keep up with, and they don't care because they make their money regardless.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
The insurance company has an adjuster come on site to look at the roof, it has to meet certain criteria in order to be replaced. Insurance companies aren't in the business to pay out claims that have no merit or they wouldn't be in business. I don't see what the issue is.
It doesn't matter. Insurance companies will make their money regardless - if they pay out claims, they'll raise rates for everyone, not just the people who made claims.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Isn't Amica Mutual owned by the policy holders? They (along with USAA) are consistently rated #1 or #2 best insurance company.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 PM

347 posts, read 522,288 times
Quote:
But there is no doubt there is unethical stuff going on...
You should call WRAL. I'm sure they'd love to hear about it.

Quote:
it's not fair to the ethical people out there.
That's life, Mr. Ethical. Life isn't fair. Perhaps you could move to a more hail prone area, if that's your thing.

In all seriousness, the people who are having their roofs replaced due to hail damage are people who pay into and maintain a home insurance policy. They may have paid on a policy for 30 years without making a claim before the hail damage and you would have no idea. All you see is someone getting a new roof while you aren't.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
You should call WRAL. I'm sure they'd love to hear about it.

That's life, Mr. Ethical. Life isn't fair. Perhaps you could move to a more hail prone area, if that's your thing.

In all seriousness, the people who are having their roofs replaced due to hail damage are people who pay into and maintain a home insurance policy. They may have paid on a policy for 30 years without making a claim before the hail damage and you would have no idea. All you see is someone getting a new roof while you aren't.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that making a non-legit claim is ok because you've paid into the system?

Edit: To clarify, my definition of "non-legit" is getting your end-of-lifed roof replaced because of minor damage that may or may not have been caused by hail. Any roof of that age is going to have issues and damage, that's why it's at the end of its life.

Lots of people jumping on me, but I never said I had a problem with legitimate claims. But insurance shouldn't be used as a tool for home maintenance.

Last edited by m378; 07-17-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary