Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,207,250 times

Advertisements

Amazing what a $140,000 political donation can get you in Florida.

Editorial: Sweetheart insurance deal hurts consumers | Tampa Bay Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
Not only can insurance companies buy politicians but red light camera companies can also. They have spent more than a million dollars lobbying in Florida while also donating more than half a million dollars to Florida politicians directly. Meanwhile, the cameras will rake in $120 million in 2013

Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Meanwhile, the cameras will rake in $120 million in 2013
Would you rather your taxes go up or would you rather people who violate the law be the ones who pay? Local governments in Florida took a huge hit with the fall in property tax values and have seen severe impacts to their budgets. Nobody is going to argue that red light cameras don't generate revenue, but is that revenue generation really a bad thing? If you don't want to get fined, don't run a red light. It's actually pretty simple. I'd much rather the lawbreakers be the ones to pay than those of us who follow the law.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 PM

652 posts, read 1,654,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
Would you rather your taxes go up or would you rather people who violate the law be the ones who pay? .
Rather have taxes go up than have red light cams. And what happens when the red light cams become declared faulty and all the money has to be returned to the people who were fined? Taxes will have to go up that much more to pay for the refunds.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,181,971 times
Just a question.....The hurricane Preparedness charge listed with fees on major homeowners insurance companies are charged to subsidize Citizens isn't it? So all of us have been helping to insure the homes/businesses other insurance companies have refused to insure for the state to offer Citizens. Or do I misunderstand what those charges on my insurance not related to my own property are for?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Amazing what a $140,000 political donation can get you in Florida.

Editorial: Sweetheart insurance deal hurts consumers | Tampa Bay Times
Heritage has contacted me by mail a couple of times. Other than an email address and a number for making claims, there isn't really any way to contact a representative to inquire about anything. Struck me as bizarre and underhanded, so I sent in my opt out form. Yes, you have to mail back an opt out form or you'll automatically be absorbed by them.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
re: red light cameras
Give them an inch, they take a yard.
They have been caught shortening the yellow time to rake in more revenue.
If you stop at a red signal, but the tires are 1" over the white stop line, they consider you a red light runner and are mailed a violation notice.
A lot of their revenue is from right turns. If you don't stop before the white stop line, but stop at the actual intersection, you are considered a red light runner and a violation notice is sent.
90% of straight line red light violations occur 1 second or less of red signal. Add one second to the yellow time or a 'no turn at red' sign and the camera companies are out of business. But they contribute to many politicians re-election campaigns to stop those two things from happening.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
Would you rather your taxes go up or would you rather people who violate the law be the ones who pay? Local governments in Florida took a huge hit with the fall in property tax values and have seen severe impacts to their budgets. Nobody is going to argue that red light cameras don't generate revenue, but is that revenue generation really a bad thing? If you don't want to get fined, don't run a red light. It's actually pretty simple. I'd much rather the lawbreakers be the ones to pay than those of us who follow the law.
Of the gov could learn to operate within a budget. I do not see why people all of a sudden cry about taxes need to go up all the time; how about the gov cutting expenses?

And with the property taxes what they are, I am not seeing what extras I get over the much lower property tax place I moved from.

Plus, the entire concept of taxes being pegged to property value is ridiculous.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If you stop at a red signal, but the tires are 1" over the white stop line, they consider you a red light runner and are mailed a violation notice.
front tires or back tires?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida