Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM

119 posts, read 261,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Well, downtown Cary proper probably won't be that tall -which I like trying to keep the small town/village vibe there. In fact, there are already some grumblings about proposed 3 and 4 story projects going in DT. They do though need to put some higher density 3-4 story buildings to get viable density (living and office) to support DT businesses and have a live-work-play environment. It is a fine line to walk with keeping some small town charm and history intact.

However, just a mile east near I40 along the Raleigh border, in what Cary refers to as "The Eastern Gateway", the town is planning on having 20+ story office towers in Zone 2 (Office Campus).
See top of page 124 of this doc http://www.imaginecary.org/wp/wp-con...oard-Draft.pdf
I think if someone ends up building 20+ story buildings like it says, that would be somewhat of a skyline. It would be no downtown or anything though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 11:12 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Found it! In Lori's Blog. Lori’s Blog: 2017 Council Retreat – CaryCitizen
Based on 2010 census, 67,372 come to Cary for work while 64,108 leave, while 11,221 live/work in Cary

In general, I agree with her take that if more people are now commuting into Cary to work than are leaving then it is not really a pure bedroom community/suburb... anymore.

It is no doubt an employment center for the region. For all those that laugh, scoff or roll their eyes, just look at the title of this very forum "Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary".
What sorts of jobs are these though?
And is this commuting purposefully done, or just a byproduct of the way that the town lines are drawn?

I need more context.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
What sorts of jobs are these though?
And is this commuting purposefully done, or just a byproduct of the way that the town lines are drawn?

I need more context.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary,_...rolina#Economy

Old 07-30-2017, 11:25 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
In the linked article, it projects Cary's 2040 population to be 194,000. That's likely to be way underestimated in my opinion. Once you put densification plans in place and acres and acres of old strip centers are redeveloped into mixed-use over time, the town likely has a much higher threshold for supporting population. I think it will be well over 200,000.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:34 AM

807 posts, read 690,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In the linked article, it projects Cary's 2040 population to be 194,000. That's likely to be way underestimated in my opinion. Once you put densification plans in place and acres and acres of old strip centers are redeveloped into mixed-use over time, the town likely has a much higher threshold for supporting population. I think it will be well over 200,000.
I agree completely. Cary already added about 20% to its population from 2010-2016, putting it at ~160,000 residents. I suspect it will add another ~15% by 2020 which would put it in the 185,000 range.

I think Cary will probably overtake Fayetteville as the sixth-largest municipality in the state within the next decade, and if it plays its cards right, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pass Winston-Salem by the 2040s.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Forgot all about SAS, and I have a couple of friends who work there.

Even with the employers listed on that page, though, the 10th-largest employee in the town having a workforce in the high 600s makes me wonder how many little businesses/workplaces it takes to get a sum of 67k (the top 10 on the Wikipedia page only add up to about 16k).

I still suspect that many of these commutes are of the type that go from the east side of Davis Drive to the west.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Yeah don't forget that commute patterns in the Triangle are nothing ordinary. Instead of converging on the downtown areas, we converge on an office park in between the three "hubs" (though I'm sure the percentage is hanging as the downtown areas change and develop more)

Old 07-30-2017, 05:41 PM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Forgot all about SAS, and I have a couple of friends who work there.

Even with the employers listed on that page, though, the 10th-largest employee in the town having a workforce in the high 600s makes me wonder how many little businesses/workplaces it takes to get a sum of 67k (the top 10 on the Wikipedia page only add up to about 16k).

I still suspect that many of these commutes are of the type that go from the east side of Davis Drive to the west.
Don't forget MetLife; their global IT HQ is off Weston in Cary. Already 1,000 workers and they recently signed on to build another very large third "tower" (guessing about 6-7 stories high as it is supposed to be almost identical to the other 2). https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...-raleighs.html

Then John Deere has their turf management (think lawn mowers and golf course maintenance equipment) engineering R&D division off of Evans in Cary. Not sure how man exactly work there.

Deutsche Bank has a big operation here as well as the CRO Chiltern.

Clinical research companies Copernicus IRB and ClinTrax Global recently signed for a bunch of space off of Weston in Cary. They are moving from Durham and Raleigh respectively. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...-new-cary.html

Rumors were INC research was coming here too (about 1,000 jobs from current Raleigh HQ); but, they ended up choosing RTP (Perimeter Park off of Aviation Blvd in Morrisville).

The Jimmy V foundation is also off Weston. Don't think they employ too many people but it's a name many have heard of.

Cary also has lots of service type jobs with all its strip malls, shopping centers and restaurants. No one said they had to be 100K+/yr jobs.

Never know what's behind those trees... in Cary!

Still, like you probably, I can think of more big name employers with sizable operations in Morrisville (RTP part) than in Cary. I know plenty of people that live in Cary and commute to Morrisville. I would bet more people commute into Morrisville than leave it. Maybe Cary is a suburb of Morrisville :

Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
and, in downtown another food truck rodeo on a beautiful day..

observed:
  • Usual foolish high prices, mediocre food
  • biscuit, brisket and tater tots: $10
  • Great live music
  • kids & adults wading in the fountain, a supposed misdemeanor according to posted signage
  • Granite curbing surrounds the gardens around the fountain
  • all that electricity, plumbing, water for a fountain--yet total of 4 porta-potties onsite, two at each end of Academy st. No flush toilets in downtown Cary, except at Arts Center
  • overloaded trash receptacles, with Cary employees in green shirts nearby
  • taxpayer supplied picnic tables on street, near trucks
  • couple diesel generators for food truck power

Old 07-30-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
and, in downtown another food truck rodeo on a beautiful day..

observed:
  • Usual foolish high prices, mediocre food
    [
Let me know next time when there's a food truck rodeo and I can tell you which trucks to try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary