Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:04 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Just my .02: Cary will get bigger and have more stuff, but won't become an economic powerhouse in its own right. Cary is popular because of its proximity to PPK while still having Wake County schools.

Should an employer come into Cary in a really big way, that could change. A few hundred jobs from MetLife or the like isn't going to cut it. No matter how many food trucks, micro breweries, etc, you have, it will never be any more than a large suburb, like Aurora Colorado or Naperville, IL...
... or Northern Virginia, a comparison I've been hearing quite a bit more lately for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 05:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
I just found this thread very interesting. I think the Cary area probably has a long way to go to be on the level of northern Virginia although there are similarities. We plan to relocate soon to Cary so good to hear about good economic opportunity close by and not just RTP.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:56 AM

18 posts, read 21,593 times
We are also looking at Cary area. Retired and mobile so not interested in daycare or schools. Just a good jumping point for traveling to family and road trips. Watching this thread.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
If the Eastern Gateway lives up to its promise, things will definitely change in Cary.

Downtown is morphing into a picturesque "village" center with a boutique hotel, and a growing list of quaint eateries.

But the real action will come if that planned 20-story high rise comes to be.

"Walkable urban" best describes what Cary is aiming for, where residents can work, shop, eat, and carry on without driving. Which means that attracting companies is going to be key.

Wonder what changes Wegmans and Ikea will bring.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:42 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
"Walkable urban" best describes what Cary is aiming for, where residents can work, shop, eat, and carry on without driving. Which means that attracting companies is going to be key.

Wonder what changes Wegmans and Ikea will bring.
If so, that's slightly ironic because Wegmans and IKEA are not exactly walkable developments - they're suburban style developments (large stores with large parking lots)

Old 01-28-2018, 04:44 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If so, that's slightly ironic because Wegmans and IKEA are not exactly walkable developments
The Fenton appears to be quite walkable. For the residents.

Ikea really is a destination venue, though I suppose the folks in the Senior Apartments will like to walk there.
And, I am curious what Phase 2 of Cary Towne Center will deliver.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:32 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, I am curious what Phase 2 of Cary Towne Center will deliver.
Should be similar (but smaller scale) to Fenton. Phase 2 calls for keeping Belk and Dillard's and replacing the rest of the mall with mixed-use. Up to 400 residential units, 150 hotel rooms, 100,000 SF of office and 325,000 SF of retail replacing the core of the mall. 400 more residential units located directly south of IKEA to buffer Ivy Meadows.

Another 300 hotel rooms and limited commercial at corner of Maynard and Cary Towne Blvd, and then the pod to the east of there along CTB has some flexibility to be even more hotel/commercial or office.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.idtpl...ent%20Plan.pdf

Old 01-28-2018, 05:41 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
My girlfriend and I walked through Cary Towne Center today just to see what the state of things were. There are so many vacant retail spots. I'm guessing the mall management is just not renewing leases when they expire at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary