Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 08:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times

Advertisements

This is crazy - taking a note out of the Wake playbook. I was counting down until I hit the word equity in the article:

https://www.wral.com/nearly-half-of-...ting/20666011/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 09:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,235,076 times
I suppose it was only a matter of time for Durham. All that growth, coupled with the high demand for a few schools, and eventually a great deal of angst was due.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:49 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,361,432 times
I'm not opposed to the reassignment, and it has been needed for some time in Durham. I do feel bad for the parents whose children are in magnet schools losing their status and having to reapply, as well as splitting siblings between schools. One way to address the latter is to let parents move their older elementary school-aged children to the new school, though I don't know if parents and students will like that option.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:28 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,802,795 times
That sounds awful! Children should not have to reapply to schools they have already started in. And siblings should be allowed to stay in school with older siblings and then finish out their tenure there.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:26 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,981,173 times
Let's be honest Durham has a two tier schoop problem and the specialized schools have been riddled with exceptions and loop holes leveraged by those in the know .

Equalizing the local schools is the only way to right the ship because the status quo is one track for the poor and another for the privelaged

Old 01-17-2023, 01:13 PM

148 posts, read 171,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Let's be honest Durham has a two tier schoop problem and the specialized schools have been riddled with exceptions and loop holes leveraged by those in the know .

Equalizing the local schools is the only way to right the ship because the status quo is one track for the poor and another for the privelaged
Correct. There isn't a single pre-k kid in the expensive preschool we send our kids who didn't win the lottery to get into the specialized DPS school of their choice.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:34 PM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This is crazy - taking a note out of the Wake playbook. I was counting down until I hit the word equity in the article:

https://www.wral.com/nearly-half-of-...ting/20666011/
So, you're against equity and are fine with severely different opportunity and outcomes in the same taxpayer funded school system? Awesome.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:42 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, you're against equity and are fine with severely different opportunity and outcomes in the same taxpayer funded school system? Awesome.
I am against the disruption of children and families in an effort to create an illusion that a district is "doing all the right things".

There is enough disruption already due to increasing population, new schools, etc. Things that can't be avoided short-term.

I did not say I was against "equity", although I do think it's an impossible goal.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:30 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnndduj View Post
How about apply yourself, get off the government teat, and maybe you can live in a neighborhood with decent schools. But don’t force achievers into schools with kids whose parents use the system as babysitters.
Equity is unfettered Communism. Those that disagree will be the first ones shocked at how you, too, will be discriminated against in the interest of “fairness”.
Schools are for kids though, not for parents. To argue that only kids born into a particular class deserve "decent schools" seems fundamentally un-American. We rejected the class system. Folks that still want that are on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:37 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I am against the disruption of children and families in an effort to create an illusion that a district is "doing all the right things".

There is enough disruption already due to increasing population, new schools, etc. Things that can't be avoided short-term.

I did not say I was against "equity", although I do think it's an impossible goal.
It always seems like some of the people that contributed to the increasing population by moving here are some of the most opposed to ensuring equity for the people that have been here all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary