Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 06:00 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
It always seems like some of the people that contributed to the increasing population by moving here are some of the most opposed to ensuring equity for the people that have been here all along.
Well, many people are moving here from northern states where the town-based school systems are segregated. Which is pretty ironic considering the political leaning of many of those states. You wouldn't dare tell someone in the higher socioeconomic Boston suburbs that you're going to combine school systems with <insert low socioeconomic town here>. I can't even imagine the uproar.

But at the end of the day, the vast majority of parents will choose to live where they perceive the best schools to be that fit within their housing budget. Shuffling around students in order to make it look like there is equity, is temporary at best. It just won't work long term, and will end up in endless shuffling around of children which really does more damage than good.

It would be interesting to poll those that live in the lower-socioeconomic areas which would be more preferable - going to a school close to home, or busing 30-60 minutes to a "better" school. If everyone wants their kids to go to school near their home, why even bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 06:24 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
There are 32,000 students in Durham Public Schools. This only affects around 2,000 students and is intended to address overcrowding in some schools.

https://www.wunc.org/education/2023-...-students-2024

Old 01-23-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
There are 32,000 students in Durham Public Schools. This only affects around 2,000 students and is intended to address overcrowding in some schools.

https://www.wunc.org/education/2023-...-students-2024
Also from the article originally posted:

Quote:
DPS’ goal is to split the district more evenly and provide students equity. The proposal would also ensure each region has a Montessori school.
...also

Quote:
The “Growing Together” initiative has a goal of reducing the number of bus routes and needed drivers.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:49 AM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Durham Public Schools have not had a major plan update in the past 30 years. The original article that posted has a misleading claim in the title. Allowing each region to have a Montessori school is an example of equity. The updated plan also allows each region to have year-round and dual language immersion programs, which they do not today. As previously mentioned, it will address overcrowding in some schools.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:35 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Well, to fix overcrowding is one thing and is fine. But busing kids across the county for "equity" will eventually fail and then the school district will finally stop trying - Like what happened in Wake Co.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:09 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Well, to fix overcrowding is one thing and is fine. But busing kids across the county for "equity" will eventually fail and then the school district will finally stop trying - Like what happened in Wake Co.
It doesn't look like bussing kids across the county for "equity" is part of the plan though. Rather, they're going to create regions and "the choice programs within these regions—as well as families’ access to those choice programs—will be comparable in each region." Basically, the plan is just going to give all the students in the district access to the same things. Seems reasonable.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:27 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
It doesn't look like bussing kids across the county for "equity" is part of the plan though. Rather, they're going to create regions and "the choice programs within these regions—as well as families’ access to those choice programs—will be comparable in each region." Basically, the plan is just going to give all the students in the district access to the same things. Seems reasonable.
They did similar in Wake County about 10 years ago and it was a mess that took about 5-6 years to straighten out, some would argue it still isn't. Transportation being the biggest issue and Durham is no stranger to transportation issues. I'm guessing Durham is still growing too so that's not going to help.

Old 01-24-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They did similar in Wake County about 10 years ago and it was a mess that took about 5-6 years to straighten out, some would argue it still isn't. Transportation being the biggest issue and Durham is no stranger to transportation issues. I'm guessing Durham is still growing too so that's not going to help.
Talking about Durham, which is a significantly smaller district than Wake both geographically and by population, I can't see what would be more efficient than breaking down the county into smaller parts as far as transportation goes. I'm curious how it could be more efficient to do otherwise.

Old 01-24-2023, 12:16 PM

I'm really curious what the naysayers think would be a good plan. Because I can't quite make sense of being critical of bussing long distances AND being critical of smaller regions. Is it just providing the same programs or access to them in all regions that's the problem? If so, what's the alternative?

Old 01-24-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I'm really curious what the naysayers think would be a good plan. Because I can't quite make sense of being critical of bussing long distances AND being critical of smaller regions. Is it just providing the same programs or access to them in all regions that's the problem? If so, what's the alternative?
I guess I'm just skeptical because Wake has performed reassignments over the years which they claimed were due to overcrowding, but ended up doing nothing to alleviate overcrowding at the schools that it was supposed to help. Reassignments due to overcrowding should generally occur when new schools are opening, and some of Wake's did not.

It seemed in the past that there was a lot of experimentation going on, and in my opinion it likely wasn't about overcrowding. That seems to have subsided during/after covid, and hopefully the new school board will keep it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary