Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 06:56 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I like the kitchen in the first photo, but I know it's a design style that doesn't appeal to many buyers. I think the cabinets going all the way up like that seems suited to the modern style with at least a 10' ceiling and also to apartment/loft type spaces where storage is at a premium. Most houses in this area or really anywhere outside of a city core type, except for a few scattered around, have lots of available storage for lesser used items in other areas, 9' ceilings (so either the main cabinet is shorter than ideal or the one on top is very small) and have a style that is not as as conducive to it.

MikeJ, we have also added up lighting in that space above and quite like it.
Very pretty.

I have lights under cabinet, which are dandy. 12" and 18" LED direct wired.

Above the cabinets, we installed electric outlets, and have plugged in several LED strips.
We could put Christmas lights up there, strobes, whatever we care to do to tackify the beans and wieners experience!

LEDs are expensive strips, but eBay is my friend. We did well.
I did learn that even if the strips say "dimmable" and the dimmer switches say "LED compatible," I will likely never go down that path again. It cost me a couple of strips whose transformers immediately disagreed with that designation.

And, I agree that Architect's photos are kitchens that would appeal to a niche market in the Triangle.
Middle of the road = mass market, and resale is a significant consideration for most people.
I didn't show you the banana yellow pocket pantry door with the 20" Rooster Decal on it in my photos, because I was concerned that people might not notice the cabinets or lighting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 06:59 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Very pretty.

Under cabinet lights are next on "her" list We were just checking some out at Lowes.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:00 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Too sterile for me, and I an 5'8" and already have issues with the highest cabinets in my house. I will never have white cabinets again, either, unless I have a maid who will clean them after a day's work in the kitchen. White cabinets are good for people who don't actually do food prep or cook or ever spill anything!

I agree with whoever said this is probably more commonplace in cities with limited storage space. My best friend has a coop in NYC and her cabinets go to her ceiling because her kitchen is pretty small. Her cabinets are white but they are beadboard to give it some texture.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Too sterile for me, and I an 5'8" and already have issues with the highest cabinets in my house. I will never have white cabinets again, either, unless I have a maid who will clean them after a day's work in the kitchen. White cabinets are good for people who don't actually do food prep or cook or ever spill anything!
White cabinets with a proper finish work nicely in an all-adult household.
Kids? I dunno, unless you want to be the Splatter Nazi.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:35 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Very pretty.

Above the cabinets, we installed electric outlets, and have plugged in several LED strips.
We could put Christmas lights up there, strobes, whatever we care to do to tackify the beans and wieners experience!

LEDs are expensive strips, but eBay is my friend. We did well.
I did learn that even if the strips say "dimmable" and the dimmer switches say "LED compatible," I will likely never go down that path again. It cost me a couple of strips whose transformers immediately disagreed with that designation.

And, I agree that Architect's photos are kitchens that would appeal to a niche market in the Triangle.
Middle of the road = mass market, and resale is a significant consideration for most people.
I didn't show you the banana yellow pocket pantry door with the 20" Rooster Decal on it in my photos, because I was concerned that people might not notice the cabinets or lighting...
We had a few lights under the cabinets installed by the builder 11 years ago, but they were here or there and the old school 18" fluorescent which just didn't look good, so a few years ago I ripped them out and installed IKEA LED strips which are continuous and look have a better color light, IMO. The above and below lighting sets the cabinets off nicely I think. Of course after 11 years, my wife wants to paint all the cabinets and change the granite now!
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Cabinets All the Way to Ceiling-img_695.jpg  

Old 09-02-2017, 07:47 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I sold a home in Twin Lakes, years ago, that was one of the model homes.

The kitchen cabinets went up to the ceiling but it looked like the regular cabinets were put in and then a smaller cabinet was added above with glass doors. It was beautiful. Much more to my tastes than the OP's photo. I don't care for the look of his, at all.

But, I also find that more men like modern/contemporary style while more women like traditional/classic.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
We had a few lights under the cabinets installed by the builder 11 years ago, but they were here or there and the old school 18" fluorescent which just didn't look good, so a few years ago I ripped them out and installed IKEA LED strips which are continuous and look have a better color light, IMO. The above and below lighting sets the cabinets off nicely I think. Of course after 11 years, my wife wants to paint all the cabinets and change the granite now!
Builders get a TON of money for lighting.
They know that direct wire is one place they have you over the barrel.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:34 AM

385 posts, read 348,167 times
Default Dust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I like the lighting over the cabinets
Who gets to dust up there? My 80s home has dropped ceiling over cabinets but I think that is out of style now.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I didn't see the other thread, but I don't know why anyone wouldn't want cabinets that go up to the ceiling. Your choice is to leave that space open, and most likely unused, to collect dust, or maybe you put a basket or vase up there to collect dust, or you can have that space behind a cabinet door where you can use it or not use it, but at least it won't collect dust!

We have IKEA cabinets that pretty much go up to the ceiling. I am 5'5" and there's this thing called a step stool that I use to reach the top shelf.

Ours aren't quite this dark, but something along these lines: The most popular room in the house - IKEA

Old 09-02-2017, 09:12 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I didn't see the other thread, but I don't know why anyone wouldn't want cabinets that go up to the ceiling. Your choice is to leave that space open, and most likely unused, to collect dust, or maybe you put a basket or vase up there to collect dust, or you can have that space behind a cabinet door where you can use it or not use it, but at least it won't collect dust!
If you had 12' ceilings you probably wouldn't want your cabinets going all the way up to the ceiling.

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 09-02-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary