Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Chris Kimball did a test and concluded that the dough temperature is critical and that most kitchens are too cold.
https://www.177milkstreet.com/2017/0...y-to-work-with
(Unfortunately, you need to subscribe / sign-up for a trial to be able to read the full article)
Cold is one issue (the biggest issue) and the other is that the glutens need to "relax". Anytime you work the dough, the glutens tighten up. So if you let the entire dough-ball sit in a draft-free environment, it will loosen up and begin to rise.

If you are trying to roll or stretch it out, and it keeps on retracting back to it's former size and shape, just set it aside "as is" for 5-10 minutes and try again, it will be looser and more pliable. It's helpful to get that last inch or two of diameter. (Use the time to prep your toppings)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 06:36 AM

326 posts, read 385,080 times
Nice work! Here are a couple pics of some homemade pizzas from our house--one Hawaiian and one veggie. These pics are from back in the spring when I first started making pizzas at home I mostly follow directions in Ken Forkish's book The Elements of Pizza for making dough (he's got many dough recipes in there). I bake in the oven at 550 degrees after preheating for at least an hour. Pizzas take about 5-6 minutes, including turning the oven to a high broil for the last minute. I usually give it a half turn about 3-4 minutes into the cooking.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:37 AM

326 posts, read 385,080 times
I've also made some breads from Ken Forkish's other book, Flour Water Salt Yeast. Here's a boule I made a couple months back:

Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
So, is this how you get good pizza in the Triangle?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:13 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
The pizza on the left looks so delicious! I love how well done it is!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:15 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
What does cooking pizza (and bread) at home have to do with the Triangle?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
What does cooking pizza (and bread) at home have to do with the Triangle?
1. The shape
2. It is a much discussed topic on this board, and I (the thread starter) wanted to avoid my usual practice of derailing threads about local pizzarias with my own babble about how to cook them at home.
2a. I hope it also gets some input of good places to get dough (locally). TJ's is one. My next pie, I think I'll get the dough from Salvios if they will sell it.

tkeru408: Those are BEAUTIFUL. I'm not a fan of Hawaiian pizza, but that is just personal taste. Yours looks great. The bread takes it up another notch. It literally looks same quality as you might find at LaFarm. Nice work!!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
1. The shape
2. It is a much discussed topic on this board, and I (the thread starter) wanted to avoid my usual practice of derailing threads about local pizzarias with my own babble about how to cook them at home.
2a. I hope it also gets some input of good places to get dough (locally). TJ's is one. My next pie, I think I'll get the dough from Salvios if they will sell it.

tkeru408: Those are BEAUTIFUL. I'm not a fan of Hawaiian pizza, but that is just personal taste. Yours looks great. The bread takes it up another notch. It literally looks same quality as you might find at LaFarm. Nice work!!
It belongs on the Food and Drink Board.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Oh FFS, is it taking up space for a post about something else you would like to see?

There's room for you to post things as well.

Pizza slices are in the shape of a triangle, man

Also it is a good topic for this area because we do have some good pizza parlor-style pizza but there is also the option to make it at home and the struggle is real

Please see my hatch chili and chicken-esque seitan pizza I made with dough from scratch (not browned enough and sorry for bite mark)
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza at home (because we named our area after the shape of a slice)... also, where do you find good dough locally?-pizza-new.jpg  

Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 AM

595 posts, read 677,358 times
Quote:
I think this post is very relevant to the folks who frequent this forum. Same as if someone posted their famous eastern BBQ sauce recipe or granny's secret biscuit recipe. (Hint, hint!) It's relevant to life in the triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary