Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:25 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times

Advertisements

I've never been much of a drinker but I've found that most restaurants have some kind of 'signature cocktail' list so I've been experimenting. I've figured out that I like clear alcohols, tequila seems to be a good choice for me because I like sweet too (not dripping sugary sweet, but nice sweet).

Anyway, there are times that I'll look at a restaurant's cocktail menu and nothing really strikes me. I'll ask the wait staff if anything on the list sounds like what I want. If they say no, I'll ask if they can have the bartender make me something along those lines.

More often than not, there's a stare and an uncomfortable silence before they go away and come back with either a suggestion, or in one case, a flat-out "no". This was at The Provincial in Apex, which has a very large and well stocked bar from the looks of it. They said it was order off the drink menu, or nothing.

Is this strange to you? If they obviously have a large bar and a range of alcohol, why is it a problem to ask for something off a cocktail menu? Maybe because the bartenders aren't really bartenders and just glorified wait staff that only know how to make 8 pre-specified drinks?

I need to know if I'm doing something out of the ordinary and should stop unless I'm in a place that's more of a bar with food rather than a restaurant with drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I've never been much of a drinker but I've found that most restaurants have some kind of 'signature cocktail' list so I've been experimenting. I've figured out that I like clear alcohols, tequila seems to be a good choice for me because I like sweet too (not dripping sugary sweet, but nice sweet).

Anyway, there are times that I'll look at a restaurant's cocktail menu and nothing really strikes me. I'll ask the wait staff if anything on the list sounds like what I want. If they say no, I'll ask if they can have the bartender make me something along those lines.

More often than not, there's a stare and an uncomfortable silence before they go away and come back with either a suggestion, or in one case, a flat-out "no". This was at The Provincial in Apex, which has a very large and well stocked bar from the looks of it. They said it was order off the drink menu, or nothing.

Is this strange to you? If they obviously have a large bar and a range of alcohol, why is it a problem to ask for something off a cocktail menu? Maybe because the bartenders aren't really bartenders and just glorified wait staff that only know how to make 8 pre-specified drinks?

I need to know if I'm doing something out of the ordinary and should stop unless I'm in a place that's more of a bar with food rather than a restaurant with drinks.
I think that is the answer. I would expect bartenders in a nice restaurant to be better trained, and if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to continue to ask.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
My 2c - the only thing wrong about this is your reaction. You are the customer. You want the bartender to make a drink "along the lines of a ____ but with ____" or whatever, hey that's their job. Their reaction and the associated quality of your product will then be probability based - so choose where you do this wisely. Chances of this request hitting an excited, creative bartender are lower at Outback than at Oakleaf.

I react the same way "am I out of line to ask for..." and maybe its just a function of getting old, but I would like to stop caring about that stuff so much. They are a bartender, its their job, youre not out of line to ask them to do their job. Our expectations are so low these days, we deserve better than how we make ourselves feel guilty for asking ppl to do their jobs

Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
I support you but I read your comment multiple times and I'm still confused as to what you're doing exactly.

You look at the cocktail menu and then tell the waiter to ask the bartender to make you a special house drink with tequila?

Is that correct?

I'm not trying to flame you at all but I wouldn't expect the average bartender to be some sort of mixologist besides a few select speciality bars. If I were you I would just determine what the drink is you want and ask for that if you don't see something on the cocktail menu.

I guess you can ask a different way and see "what of the house cocktails would go best with tequila can you please check with bartender" even though I would say it's risky lol

to answer your question though I would say most bartenders are simply wait staff with time behind the bar so don't expect much creativity

Old 12-28-2017, 07:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think that is the answer. I would expect bartenders in a nice restaurant to be better trained, and if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to continue to ask.
And the waiters aren't really waiters either.

But they all think they deserve a higher tip rate than those jobs always paid
back when it was rare to have the sort of inexperience and outright incompetence
that most seem to have today.

As to drinking something new... ask at the bar not the table.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I am continuing, especially on the first try because if I get a bad reaction, it helps to form an overall impression of the restaurant. And whether we ever go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
My 2c - the only thing wrong about this is your reaction. You are the customer. You want the bartender to make a drink "along the lines of a ____ but with ____" or whatever, hey that's their job. Their reaction and the associated quality of your product will then be probability based - so choose where you do this wisely. Chances of this request hitting an excited, creative bartender are lower at Outback than at Oakleaf.

I react the same way "am I out of line to ask for..." and maybe its just a function of getting old, but I would like to stop caring about that stuff so much. They are a bartender, its their job, youre not out of line to ask them to do their job. Our expectations are so low these days, we deserve better than how we make ourselves feel guilty for asking ppl to do their jobs
Very true. I have done this at places like Parkside, Whiskey Kitchen, Mofu, Plates, etc. We haven't been to anything like a fast food joint since we've been here. Too much better food to discover.

I try not to lower my expectations but I'm only 4 months a Raleighite. I thought maybe it was a difference in culture, and I might be committing some kind of local crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I support you but I read your comment multiple times and I'm still confused as to what you're doing exactly.

You look at the cocktail menu and then tell the waiter to ask the bartender to make you a special house drink with tequila?

Is that correct?

I'm not trying to flame you at all but I wouldn't expect the average bartender to be some sort of mixologist besides a few select speciality bars. If I were you I would just determine what the drink is you want and ask for that if you don't see something on the cocktail menu.

I guess you can ask a different way and see "what of the house cocktails would go best with tequila can you please check with bartender" even though I would say it's risky lol
Yes, that's what I'm asking. Sometimes if they get flustered, I'll ask them to make a drink that's already on the menu but with tequila instead of whatever is in it. There are SO many places that have bourbon drinks but I don't like bourbon, and those are usually mixed with sharp citrus, ginger, bitter things.

I'm really not much of a drinker, so I don't really know what 'classic' kinds of drinks that are made with tequila besides a margarita. At Parkside, that's exactly what I said to make, when the waitress came back all confused since the bartender had no suggestions.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:00 AM

For what it's worth, the best places were Crawford & Son and Mofu. Those bartenders really know what they're doing and don't shy away from a special request. I was so overjoyed that I had a 2nd drink, which is also not normal for me.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:06 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
i would say keep doing what you're doing but just figure out a tequila highball you like tequila and ginger ale or club with peel shavings

i good litmus test would be if the bar can figure out how to serve shaved lemon or lime opposed to just wedges lol

Old 12-28-2017, 08:17 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
It depends on the place. An actual cocktail bar or a restaurant with an extensive cocktail menu, sure. A place like the Provincial (which I've never been to), seems to focus more on beer/wine from what I can tell from the menu.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a bartender to be able to just whip something creative up on the spot that exactly suits your needs.

My suggestion? Experiment at home and figure out what you like.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
SO and I used to drink, "Perfect Southern Comfort Manhattan on the Rocks With a Twist." Very few bartenders knew the drink and a lot would fake it and get it wrong so we'd get one free round then teach them the recipe. Perfect = sweet and dry Vermouth. Real bartenders would know that. Promoted waiters didn't. Haven't had one here since we moved to Raleigh but the mixologists in Hilton Head know how to do it.

I was going to call that a Janice Joplin cocktail but figured she wouldn't bother with the Vermouth. SO said, "Joplin wouldn't bother with the glass!"

Enjoyed a wedding recently where the featured drink was Moscow Mule. The guests each got their own copper cups. You can vary this drink a lot, we now use vanilla vodka.

If you want to experiment with flavorful mixed drinks, search for bartenders guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary