Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times

Advertisements

Here is a Bing search result of Raleigh historical photos that might include some history of the roads:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=states...=en-US&PC=HSJS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM

24 posts, read 29,958 times
Back for a 2nd pass at this subject.

Sometimes, road names get changed for (what I consider) frivolous or outrageous reasons.

There used to be a road in Knightdale named Jackass Road. But then the funeral home that was on that road complained to the town fathers that the name was undignified or such. So it got changed to Old Knight Road. Pahhh!!

Also, Tryon Road used to be called Apex-Macedonia road, well, because it ran from Apex to Macedonia - which is the area where Walnut Street & Holly Springs Road, and Jones-Franklin Road crosses Tryon.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukster View Post
... Tryon Road used to be called Apex-Macedonia road, well, because it ran from Apex to Macedonia - which is the area where Walnut Street & Holly Springs Road, and Jones-Franklin Road crosses Tryon.
There was a reason for the change of name. That road had three segments with three names and this was confusing. As I recall the three segments were (from west to east) Apex-Macedonia, Rhamkatte, and Tryon.

Similarly, today's Davis Drive had two or three names.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Here's a good one...Glascock Street in Raleigh Glascock…More Than Just a Painful Street Name | New Raleigh

My wife and brother were born at Mary Elizabeth along with a lot of other Raleigh natives.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
There was a reason for the change of name. That road had three segments with three names and this was confusing. As I recall the three segments were (from west to east) Apex-Macedonia, Rhamkatte, and Tryon.

It used to be Stone Rd in the area around Morrisvlle, IIRC. This was before it was connected into the southern portion of RTP and renamed Davis. I was green in construction and we were building Morrisville community park in like 1990 I think and had to pick up some stuff at Carpenter Farm Supply, the only hardware store within MILES at that point and the super wrote me out directions.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM

571 posts, read 715,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I believe Lake Lynn was built in the 1970's for flood control. Several mill sites did exist in the general area along the creeks dating back to the 1800's. I know several of the descendants of the Lynn Family. Some still live in the subdivisions around Lynn Rd.
There's also a Lake Lynn in Concord, NC. I wonder if there is a connection?

https://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=g...:P3_FID:989150

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_L...North_Carolina)

https://www.cardcow.com/502876/lake-...orth-carolina/

Last edited by brichard; 01-19-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 11:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:

The state library downtown is where I would go to ask for resources about this kind of thing. I know there used to be a website of the detailed history of highways around the triangle, but it stopped being updated about 10 years ago and the guy (whom I met once) doesn't answer emails. But get some historians on it, they love this kind of thing. I believe NCSU has a huge map collection as well. There is a lot of deep dig on this topic you can find if you do legwork.

Regarding name changes--I always think of the big changes in north Raleigh in 1987 when Millbrook Rd was extended through to Glenwood/70 (it used to stop just past Dixon Dr). Lots of pieces of other roads were renamed to Millbrook. For example, Shelly Rd used to (not surprisingly) go past Shelly Lake and all the way to just past that intersection with Lead Mine. They chopped off Shelly and widened the extension of Millbrook, making Shelly Lake no longer on Shelly Rd. What happened to Leesville and Lead Mine is even weirder: Leesville Rd used to go from the big intersection at Crabtree that is now Lead Mine, up Lead Mine, veering left along what is now "Town and Country" (Lead Mine used to stop at what's now the split with Town & Country, near the Greek Orthodox church), then continue on along what is now Millbrook (there was not such a hard angle as there is now with Millbrook/Town & Country), down past Brookhaven where it's now Millbrook, and then veer off right to where it actually is still Leesville now. So, many people who used to have Leesville Rd addresses suddenly found themselves living on either Lead Mine, Town & Country, or Millbrook, in the same house!

Of course, if you keep on, on Millbrook across Glenwood, you will find yourself on Duraleigh and then Blue Ridge without ever turning! I always thought if they were doing all those changes, they should have just made it all Millbrook all the way to where it ends on Western Blvd.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:26 PM

24 posts, read 29,958 times
Quote:

Interesting. I can also tell you that around Nashville TN, over 30(mumblemumble) years ago when wife & I were there, was a road called "Briley Parkway" OK, kind of a ring around the city, about 8 miles outside the center. Not an interstate type, just a multi-lane divided with cross-streets (Cary Parkway, Capital, etc.)

Except.

It was discontinuous. You'd have about 4 miles in one section, then a big gap, another few miles, gap, etc etc.

It was one of the weirdest parts about driving in Nashville, besides the fact that if you had an accident (and the chances of that were pretty high, what with 3 interstates intersecting in the loop around downtown), you HAD TO LEAVE YOUR CAR WHERE IT STOPPED!!! If you moved your car so much as an inch before the cops showed up and directed you, you could and would be charged with 'Leaving the scene' of an accident. Which of course tied up everyone behind you.

Who knows, maybe that's changed since then. It sometimes happens that city leaders get smarter.

Naaaaahhhhh!

Old 01-19-2018, 03:23 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
Quote:
Interesting. I can also tell you that around Nashville TN, over 30(mumblemumble) years ago when wife & I were there, was a road called "Briley Parkway" OK, kind of a ring around the city, about 8 miles outside the center. Not an interstate type, just a multi-lane divided with cross-streets (Cary Parkway, Capital, etc.)

Except.

It was discontinuous. You'd have about 4 miles in one section, then a big gap, another few miles, gap, etc etc.
There's a bunch of that kind of stuff as you get out toward Morrisville and West Cary. Morrisville Parkway, Airport Blvd, and McCrimmon Parkway being examples of discontinuity.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:40 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,656 times
Quote:
... It was discontinuous. You'd have about 4 miles in one section, then a big gap, another few miles, gap, etc etc. ...
Apex Peakway fits this description. The loop will be completed some day. Maybe not in my lifetime, but some day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary