Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 PM

174 posts, read 231,856 times

Advertisements

I am looking for opinions and comparisons of Chapel Hill and Davidson. We are mid-50s active retirees. We are interested in pretty college towns, near larger cities for what they offer (medical, shopping, airports, entertainment). We like nature, hikes, lakes, fishing, maybe some boating, as well as quaint downtowns and decent retail. These two seem to fit the bill. How do they compare? What are the differences that may not be obvious...? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 02:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Well it is an obvious difference but UNC at Chapel Hill is many many times larger than Davidson. Mainly due to the university and the hospital you don’t really have to leave Chapel Hill (and Carrboro) for the things you mentioned. We have excellent medical care in town, fabulous restaurants, excellent entertainment (check www.carolinaperformingarts.org), fishing and boating and hiking at Jordan Lake and University Lake, fun downtowns in both Carrboro and Chapel Hill and a variety of local retailers as well as a few chains (urban Target) lots and lots of grocery choices.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:08 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
Also look at Hillsborough, near CH. Historic, on the Mountains-to-Sea trail, not much boating. There is a hospital in Hillsborough but no movie theater. Not sure what you consider decent retail.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:50 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
It would be a tough call for me. They both have a lot to offer. For boating I'd give the edge to Davidson (Lake Norman) and only Lake Norman has waterfront restaurants and other amenities.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:46 PM

644 posts, read 842,330 times
Davison is a smaller version of CH. It also boils down to what you like better - Charlotte or Raleigh. If you really care about college sports though UNC is going to top Davidson. Also, healthcare in Raleigh is going on be much much better than Charlotte. If you care about living in a bigger city, Charlotte is going to be much better than Raleigh.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:11 PM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Davidson is a smaller version of CH. It also boils down to what you like better - Charlotte or Raleigh. If you really care about college sports though UNC is going to top Davidson. Also, healthcare in Raleigh is going on be much much better than Charlotte. If you care about living in a bigger city, Charlotte is going to be much better than Raleigh.
Perhaps but more importantly in Chapel Hill there's UNC Hospitals and 20 minutes away in Durham you have Duke University Medical Center. Raleigh is 30-40 minutes away and does have a good hospital or two but nothing at the level of Duke or UNC.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:35 PM

743 posts, read 826,090 times
Either would work IMO, the growth around Lake Norman has pretty much blended Mooresville,Davidson,Cornelius & Huntersville so shopping etc shouldn't be a problem nor health care. You would be closer to the lake & mountain s

Old 02-10-2018, 02:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Charlotte is a LOT more big city than Raleigh, if that matters to you either way.

As noted, if you prefer mountains to beaches, Davidson there too.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
It's about 3 hrs from Chapel Hill to the mountains and about 2 hrs from Davidson to the mountains. Conversely it's about 2.5-3 hrs to the beach from Chapel Hill and about 3.5-4 hrs to the beach from Davidson.

The extra hour wouldn't be that big of a decider to me, but all things considered I think Chapel Hill is a little better placed for day trips to the beach. We do them a couple of times a year and take the dog with. We have a family house in Boone, so don't do day trips as much to the mountains since we have a place to stay there, but you certainly could do it if you wanted to. For my money 3 hours one way is about my limit for a day trip. Two hours is more comfortable, so Davidson would have the edge on the mountain trips there, but I think it wouldn't really be worth it to do a day trip to the beach from Davidson.

Chapel Hill is also closer to Washington DC if you want to have a weekend there. Davidson is closer to Atlanta.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:21 PM

743 posts, read 826,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's about 3 hrs from Chapel Hill to the mountains and about 2 hrs from Davidson to the mountains. Conversely it's about 2.5-3 hrs to the beach from Chapel Hill and about 3.5-4 hrs to the beach from Davidson.

The extra hour wouldn't be that big of a decider to me, but all things considered I think Chapel Hill is a little better placed for day trips to the beach. We do them a couple of times a year and take the dog with. We have a family house in Boone, so don't do day trips as much to the mountains since we have a place to stay there, but you certainly could do it if you wanted to. For my money 3 hours one way is about my limit for a day trip. Two hours is more comfortable, so Davidson would have the edge on the mountain trips there, but I think it wouldn't really be worth it to do a day trip to the beach from Davidson.

Chapel Hill is also closer to Washington DC if you want to have a weekend there. Davidson is closer to Atlanta.
Which part of the mountains you talking about? Boone is like a 1.5 drive from Davidson & as the state makes improvements to 73,150 & US 321 that time will improve even more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary