Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

We LOVED living in Fuquay-Varina. We lived in the northeastern most part of town, just northwest of 401, off Johnson Pond Road. Had an Apex mailing zip code. It was EXTREMELY convenient to everything. 12-15 minutes to Downtown Raleigh, 25 minutes to RTP (using the proper route) and had lots of things in and around town. Was our favorite location we lived in that area. Beautiful country, yet so close to everything.

What we found was friends who lived on the other side of 401 had a MUCH longer commute to things, as the traffic was all funneling to just a couple of roads and traffic was all backed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 01:51 PM

35 posts, read 61,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
We LOVED living in Fuquay-Varina. We lived in the northeastern most part of town, just northwest of 401, off Johnson Pond Road. Had an Apex mailing zip code. It was EXTREMELY convenient to everything. 12-15 minutes to Downtown Raleigh, 25 minutes to RTP (using the proper route) and had lots of things in and around town. Was our favorite location we lived in that area. Beautiful country, yet so close to everything.

What we found was friends who lived on the other side of 401 had a MUCH longer commute to things, as the traffic was all funneling to just a couple of roads and traffic was all backed up.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'm surprised it only took 10-15 minute to DTR, did you take 401 to DTR? I will be in SE Fuquay off Judd but hope the competition of Judd will ease traffic. Also looks like a lot of new construction is going to be just south of main a bit further of east. If you have any shortcuts to share I'm all ears haha. I think 55 is going to be my biggest issue getting around, especially if they expect another 10-15k to move to HS and FV in the next couple of years.

As for renting, we wanted to buy now since the market seems to be on an exponentially increasing slope and although I feel FV is a bit far out I'm excited about the home itself. In a year who knows how much a similar home in the same area will cost. we are hedging our bets and investing now. The cost of moving multiple times is also cost prohibitive.

Regardless of my concerns for spending an extra 10-15 minutes in any direction I am beyond excited to move into the area. We've definitely been doing research for a long time to make this happen and look forward to being your new neighbors.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:54 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzer View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'm surprised it only took 10-15 minute to DTR, did you take 401 to DTR? I will be in SE Fuquay off Judd but hope the competition of Judd will ease traffic. Also looks like a lot of new construction is going to be just south of main a bit further of east. If you have any shortcuts to share I'm all ears haha. I think 55 is going to be my biggest issue getting around, especially if they expect another 10-15k to move to HS and FV in the next couple of years.

As for renting, we wanted to buy now since the market seems to be on an exponentially increasing slope and although I feel FV is a bit far out I'm excited about the home itself. In a year who knows how much a similar home in the same area will cost. we are hedging our bets and investing now. The cost of moving multiple times is also cost prohibitive.

Regardless of my concerns for spending an extra 10-15 minutes in any direction I am beyond excited to move into the area. We've definitely been doing research for a long time to make this happen and look forward to being your new neighbors.
I didn't realize you already bought.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 PM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post

12-15 minutes to DT Raleigh...... doubtful. Maybe if you are very very lucky with all the lights. Still, Google has it at 20-30 minutes with "no traffic" (traveling 2am on a Saturday). https://www.google.com/maps/dir/John...2!8j1518833820

25 minutes to RTP... no way. Unless your "proper route" involves a helipad. Google has it at 35-45 minutes with "no traffic" (traveling at 2am on a Saturday). https://www.google.com/maps/dir/John...1518833820!5i2

Google is usually pretty spot on; plus this has been my experience from living in and being familiar with the area.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
12-15 minutes to DT Raleigh...... doubtful. Maybe if you are very very lucky with all the lights. Still, Google has it at 20-30 minutes with "no traffic" (traveling 2am on a Saturday). https://www.google.com/maps/dir/John...2!8j1518833820

25 minutes to RTP... no way. Unless your "proper route" involves a helipad. Google has it at 35-45 minutes with "no traffic" (traveling at 2am on a Saturday). https://www.google.com/maps/dir/John...1518833820!5i2

Google is usually pretty spot on; plus this has been my experience from living in and being familiar with the area.
None of the routes shown are what we used to get to RTP. Plus you are referencing a starting point further away than we were and you are referencing just one spot in RTP. RTP is big.

For Raleigh, we took wide open Lake Wheeler Road. Only took us 12-15 minutes many times.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzer View Post

Wide open Lake Wheeler Road. Only took us 12-15 minutes many times.

Unfortunately for you, your location is MUCH farther south than we were and you are on the wrong side of 401 to make good time. You will have to deal with a lot of traffic from that location. From the location we had, we were able to utilize back roads that were almost void of traffic for a good portion of the drive.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:58 PM

70 posts, read 59,700 times
We were looking in the $300-$350 range, and after months of looking at uninspiring old houses in the C/A/HS/FV we gave up and just put an offer on a house out in Garner, Johnston County side.

The difference in house for the price tag between the two areas was just too drastic. Yes, it'll add to our commute, but we get to come home to a new house where we aren't cramped in a nice quiet neighborhood of half acre lots. In Cary, we'd have probably gotten stuck in a townhome, because most of the houses we saw in our range needed updating or repairs.

Someday when 540 is done, we think that area will explode in growth (and value) because getting from there to RTP won't be a bad commute at all.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM

510 posts, read 901,100 times
I'll just put my .2 cents in.....They will be building a road, another loop, from 55 Bypass --where Alston Ridge is. I will link an article below. it says it will be needed by 2040...I will disagree with that. I think it needs it now. But hey, lets fill up the town with no roads right now while we can. You have a builder on the town board, a mortgage broker, a lawyer...all who stand to make more money with the influx of people. More houses to build, more mortgages for the bank, and more closings for the lawyer....it's awesome. This is how democracy is supposed to work right?...sorry for the rant, I just would not buy a house here if I were just moving to the area, unless I worked in this town and did not have to commute. It's bad, and it's not going to get any better.

Fuquay-Varina's Eastern, Western parkways could form "outer beltway" by 2040 | News & Observer

Old 02-18-2018, 02:21 PM

What are the most realistic 540 extension plans currently? Is it the orange route that would connect at 401 and ten ten? That would be 15 minutes from where we are moving. The existing 540 ramp in HS is also 15 minutes. This assumes no traffic of course. I'm not aware of other talks to connect FV to highways heading to RTP in the future.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
I'll just put my .2 cents in.....They will be building a road, another loop, from 55 Bypass --where Alston Ridge is. I will link an article below. it says it will be needed by 2040...I will disagree with that. I think it needs it now. But hey, lets fill up the town with no roads right now while we can. You have a builder on the town board, a mortgage broker, a lawyer...all who stand to make more money with the influx of people. More houses to build, more mortgages for the bank, and more closings for the lawyer....it's awesome. This is how democracy is supposed to work right?...sorry for the rant, I just would not buy a house here if I were just moving to the area, unless I worked in this town and did not have to commute. It's bad, and it's not going to get any better.

Fuquay-Varina's Eastern, Western parkways could form "outer beltway" by 2040 | News & Observer

Thanks for this info. I will be inside the outer "beltway" and can't see this helping commuters heading to either RTP or DTR. Seems like the western parkway would just alleviate some downtown traffic while compounding traffic at the 55 bypass interchange. Hopefully they can come up with a better solution or connect directly to 540 somehow. If they do this and expand 55 bypass that could work too. A 45 minute commute isn't the end of the world and most people I know commute at least that far but I know it'll get worse with more people.

Last edited by Marzer; 02-18-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary