Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:51 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times

Advertisements

You've just stereotyped North Carolina, y'know...

As m378 said, the Triangle, in particular Morrisville and Cary, have a huge population of Indians from India and Indian-Americans (as well as some Native Americans).

Obviously there are racists a-holes everywhere — including Minnesota — and bad stuff does happen in NC sometimes. That said, according the FBI's hate crime statistics for 2016 Minnesota, with a population of 5.52 million, had 165 hate crimes committed; North Carolina, with almost double the population at 10.15 million had 208 hate crimes. I think that's 1 hate crime for every 48798 people in NC and 1 hate crime for every 33454 people in Minnesota. Did I do the math right?

Check City-Data's racial diversity stats:
Morrisville: https://www.city-data.com/races/races...-Carolina.html
It's 40% Asian (mostly Indian, btw).

You can go into City-Data's stats for wherever you are considering. The Triangle is really pretty diverse. Raleigh is less white that Minneapolis, for example.

Raleigh: https://www.city-data.com/races/races...-Carolina.html
Minneapolis: https://www.city-data.com/races/races...Minnesota.html

As a state North Carolina has a MUCH more diverse population than the state of Minnesota, which is 80% white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,566,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
She would be in the majority in certain parts of the Triangle - particularly Morrisville, and West Cary.

Ok maybe not the actual majority, but close to it.
West Apex is rapidly growing and the new neighborhoods in that area have attracted many new Indian families as well. It's basically a spillover from west Cary. Bawarchi Grill & Spirits is a new Indian inspired bar and grill that just opened in Apex as well. My point is, depending on where they move to within the Triangle, things should be great for them.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,721,574 times
The Triangle is a relative island of tolerance. K4GPB's references to local Hindu temples can provide reassurance. If the person is Sikh, Home - Sikh Gurudwara of NC.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:35 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,654 times
Our government may be causing the problem by allowing rotten employers to bring in foreigners in on phony need through visas.

Many citizens are taking their unhappiness out on the immigrants, not our government and cheapskate employers.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:20 AM

43,326 posts, read 77,188,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Our government may be causing the problem by allowing rotten employers to bring in foreigners in on phony need through visas.

Many citizens are taking their unhappiness out on the immigrants, not our government and cheapskate employers.
Hogwash.

A jerk is a jerk, and needs to take the blame directly on their shoulders.
Some folks just cannot be happy without someone to hate on and to bully.
"The government" is a sorry excuse for the behavior.

Unfortunately, the OP's friend, while generally accepted, cannot assume that she will not experience discriminatory behaviors.
They certainly abound.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:41 AM

360 posts, read 400,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That said, according the FBI's hate crime statistics for 2016 Minnesota, with a population of 5.52 million, had 165 hate crimes committed; North Carolina, with almost double the population at 10.15 million had 208 hate crimes. I think that's 1 hate crime for every 48798 people in NC and 1 hate crime for every 33454 people in Minnesota. Did I do the math right?
In my opinion racism comes you in two forms, one is vicious and filled with hatred. Other is where someone treats you as inferior. This is the most common one. You learn to not let it bother you and move past it.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:51 AM

43,326 posts, read 77,188,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
In my opinion racism comes you in two forms, one is vicious and filled with hatred. Other is where someone treats you as inferior. This is the most common one. You learn to not let it bother you and move past it.
The third is where you are denied opportunity or equality without explanation, and have to infer that that denial may be due to bias.
The contractor who says, "I won't work with Indians."
The builder's agent who has code labels, like "Canadian." Maybe you don't get the same consideration as I might.
The lender who doesn't provide the best program for you. This is more common for African-Americans or Latinos, but is still an example of racial bias in service.

Circumstantial vs. direct evidence.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The third is where you are denied opportunity or equality without explanation, and have to infer that that denial may be due to bias.
The contractor who says, "I won't work with Indians."
The builder's agent who has code labels, like "Canadian." Maybe you don't get the same consideration as I might.
The lender who doesn't provide the best program for you. This is more common for African-Americans or Latinos, but is still an example of racial bias in service.

Circumstantial vs. direct evidence.
Agree, Mike.

Many years ago, My Mom met racism in jobs and had to get a job with Federal Immigration.

She later applied to a government agency (Republican controlled) in Nassau County, LI. All went well until the manager checked with the board of elections and found she was registered as a Democrat.

Real bias hit when my dad bought a home on the VA bill after mustering out as a Staff Sergeant in the field artillery (WW II). A cross was burned on our front lawn since dad went to the wrong church.

Bigotry can pop up in the most traditionally liberal areas.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:23 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,284,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Agree, Mike.

Many years ago, My Mom met racism in jobs and had to get a job with Federal Immigration.

She later applied to a government agency (Republican controlled) in Nassau County, LI. All went well until the manager checked with the board of elections and found she was registered as a Democrat.

Real bias hit when my dad bought a home on the VA bill after mustering out as a Staff Sergeant in the field artillery (WW II). A cross was burned on our front lawn since dad went to the wrong church.

Bigotry can pop up in the most traditionally liberal areas.
Racism? Was your mom a member of a minority?

Old 03-12-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Racism? Was your mom a member of a minority?
Yes, Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary