Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:12 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Farm school ? Drawing from small towns?

That is absurd...

All college campuses have drunk kids not far out of high school.
Go down to Franklin St after a big UNC game..
No it’s not absurd all the rednecks in my small nc town went to state above all others

And state is a land grant school do you know what that means?

Old 02-24-2018, 07:16 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
No it’s not absurd all the rednecks in my small nc town went to state above all others

And state is a land grant school do you know what that means?
Interesting, I have spent plenty of time around UNC and NCSU and never noticed any difference in the
student body makeup.

Not disagreeing that many college kids can be immature, but from what
I have seen that applies equally to most colleges.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:22 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Interesting, I have spent plenty of time around UNC and NCSU and never noticed any difference in the
student body makeup.

Not disagreeing that many college kids can be immature, but from what
I have seen that applies equally to most colleges.
Well a snap response is state is easier to get into

Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 PM

58 posts, read 41,272 times
Pretty silly to go out on a Saturday night anywhere at midnight and be shocked at rude behavior. Anywhere..

Yeah, I agree with the other poster. This place isn't for you. Anyone that assigns blame on a whole institution by making assumptions from one event based on stereotypes needs to be in shangri la, wherever that is. Funny how sometimes those who feel they are being judged based on stereotypes don't mind dishing them out...

Old 02-24-2018, 08:06 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
What exactly was yelled out of the pickup truck to you? Did they then drive off at the green light and that was the end of it?

I agree with you that just because they are “drunk college kids” doesn’t mean that behavior is excusable. It’s pretty idiotic and people should hold them accountable instead of blaming everything on alcohol. However, they hopefully will grow up at some point.

I’m not sure why everyone is getting mad and saying you shouldn’t move here. You’re from Charlotte? Anyway, the majority of this area is very diverse, secular, etc and people of all types love it in the Triangle. You’ll have bad people everywhere and there’s no avoiding that.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:22 PM

58 posts, read 41,272 times
I can tell you what upset me was the assumption that somehow this behavior was somehow indicative of the entire student body of NC State. Even if they are State students, obviously that doesn't mean the whole student body is that way. Of course, anyone knows that anyway, or they should.

And, there is really zero way of him knowing if they were or weren't. Sure, it is near State but it is also near a number of high schools and there are numerous universities within a 30 mile radius. Also, there are thousands of "white males" that age that aren't enrolled at any university.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that this was not something that is very typical. Of course, if it happened, it is uncalled for and wrong.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
I once had a car drive into my back when I was sitting at one of the tables at that Cookout. That's what I get for visiting friends at NC State. I was just glad it wasn't a tractor

Old 02-24-2018, 08:41 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Typical college behavior - if you don’t like it avoid that part of raleigh honestly. We never see college kids in north raleigh...

Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I wouldn't say it's "typical", but I wouldn't be terribly surprised at rude behavior near a college campus on a weekend night, especially if there was a sportsball game happening.

I got yelled at out a car window last year when UNC won the national championship. Middle-aged me was walking down the street with my teens and husband and a drunk kid yelled "Show us your ****!" It's one of my husband's ever-lasting regrets that he didn't flash the guys.

NC State is a farm school — they have an excellent Ag program — but I'm not sure that has anything to do with bad college kid behavior and it certainly doesn't excuse it.

For the most part no problem with folks yelling stuff in Raleigh. I would guess that 9 times out of 10 you wouldn't have that sort of problem at Cookout at midnight on a weekend, but you hit the 1 time out of 10 when some stupid kids want to shoot their mouths off.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:12 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's one of my husband's ever-lasting regrets that he didn't flash the guys.

This made me LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary