Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,982,137 times

Advertisements

since the Triangle is all about March Madness.....
this is in Federal Felony and prison territory now.

quote:
Among the federal documents obtained in discovery over the years-long basketball corruption investigation is nearly 25 emails between Dawkins and Miller over two months in 2016. They double as a diary of the basketball black market. The emails, viewed this week by Yahoo Sports, illustrate how Dawkins attempted to get business done with some of the country’s most prestigious programs, including Arizona, Michigan State and Indiana.

link:
https://sports.yahoo.com/black-marke...030605930.html

Michigan State got the double-whammy. FBI investigation and a rapist on the payroll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 PM

58 posts, read 41,438 times
The whole sport is shady behind the scenes. I doubt anyone is totally "clean". If everyone else is playing the game, you have too, right? Of course, in some cases the school or coaches may not be doing anything per se. But, agents, shoe companies, boosters... it is rampant. And, I don't believe for a second that supposed blue blood programs aren't involved either at some level.

I always found it odd that back early in Coach K's career at Duke, he gets the top recruiting class in the country. Was it 1982 or so maybe? Why would that happen? He had not had any real success up to that point. I have no knowledge and I'm not saying it was shady... I just found it odd. I also find it odd that it's been established that players have been getting offers at other schools and the player didn't attend there. Why would they go somewhere else if there wasn't a similar or better offer there? Things that make me go hmmm....

On the other hand.... everyone else seems to be getting rich, coaches, schools, sport networks, etc... why shouldn't the players get a cut too?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 AM

609 posts, read 506,992 times
There are simply too many intentional "grey areas" in college sports, which are kept "grey", so that various parties can profit. Calling these kids "Student Athletes" is one of the most bizarre thing. These kids generate billions in revenues for the NCAA, the TV Networks, the coaches, the ADs, but can't get compensated financially. What happened to the free market value concepts? On their way to making everyone rich, these kids "sacrifice" some of their best years.
Everyone knows that 99% of these kids won't make it to the Major Leagues (NBA, NFL, ...), but not much is done to provide them any support once their college careers are over.
It wouldn't surprised me if our schools are involved. Looks like Denis Smith (NC State) received lots of money to play at State for 1 year.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:22 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,609,434 times
They need to get rid of the one and done rule and let high schoolers go to the NBA or stay 3 years if they choose to go to college.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:36 AM

58 posts, read 41,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
There are simply too many intentional "grey areas" in college sports, which are kept "grey", so that various parties can profit. Calling these kids "Student Athletes" is one of the most bizarre thing. These kids generate billions in revenues for the NCAA, the TV Networks, the coaches, the ADs, but can't get compensated financially. What happened to the free market value concepts? On their way to making everyone rich, these kids "sacrifice" some of their best years.
Everyone knows that 99% of these kids won't make it to the Major Leagues (NBA, NFL, ...), but not much is done to provide them any support once their college careers are over.
It wouldn't surprised me if our schools are involved. Looks like Denis Smith (NC State) received lots of money to play at State for 1 year.
From what I read, Dennis Smith was given a "loan" by an agent while still in high school. The NCAA has already established that as long as the school the player signs with had no knowledge of such prior to signing, there is no penalty (Hello Corey Maggette??). The agents want the player to sign with them to rep them once pro. So, this may not have had anything to do with NC State. NC State has reported that it sent a cease and desist letter to that agent years before (for an unrelated matter), so what exactly could it have done? Again, this is based on what I've read.

Who knows what's accurate or not? However, I'm sure that some shady things have happened there too, just like their neighbors down the road, and everywhere really. I'd bet one of my kidneys that 95% of major schools have some shady dealings with recruitment of players. Some are just better at hiding it than others...

And, again, perhaps it's not all that bad. The players deserve a cut too. Why should everyone else get rich but them?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,930,658 times
This is why I never cared to watch any college sports when we lived in The Triangle....or anywhere for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary