Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 AM

30,179 posts, read 11,815,563 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eme/703295001/

Could turn out to be the biggest scandal in college sports ever but not a surprise. Being a fan of a school where two of its biggest rivals are now in a big mess I can't say I am unhappy about this.

How far reaching do you think it will go. Will the assistants turn on the schools and the head coaches? Will other schools get pulled into this? What will the NCAA do? Do you think this will result in players being compensated in a legitimate way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 04:42 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
As a CBS sports talk radio host said a couple of years ago (sorry, cant remember who it was) You know how to tell Rick Pitino is lying? His mouth is moving.

I would LOVE to see each and every one of these dirt bags get brought down, even if it means my favorite team gets included.

With the Feds involved now, the squealing should start anytime. I have a feeling they would love to bring down some other big names down.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
i only hope that arizona sint too badly hit with this. richardson is gone though for sure, and you can bet that one other assistant coach is gone as well. i hope sean miller isnt caught up in this, and the program can be salvaged with a minimum of damage. i think even if the school is hit with NCAA sanctions, and we lose a few players, miller can rebuild. but if miller gets caught up in this, and is let go, replacing him will be tough, as well as rebuilding the team.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i only hope that arizona sint too badly hit with this. richardson is gone though for sure, and you can bet that one other assistant coach is gone as well. i hope sean miller isnt caught up in this, and the program can be salvaged with a minimum of damage. i think even if the school is hit with NCAA sanctions, and we lose a few players, miller can rebuild. but if miller gets caught up in this, and is let go, replacing him will be tough, as well as rebuilding the team.
It will be hard to replace Miller since it seems a lot of the recruiting success was from Richardson and who knows who else paying off the players. Miller has another problem because since 2013 the head coach is responsible for what the assistants do, they can't can just say they did not know.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...dal/710021001/

On top of that Miller is very intense and is known as a control free involved in very aspect of the team. So what are the chances an assistant that he brought with him from his last coaching job could be paying players and he knew nothing of it.

Book Richardson: How the FBI tracked, arrested the Arizona assistant

A couple of things recorded about the U of A is troubling showing that a current player on the team had already been paid to play there:

Telling Richardson to “do whatever the (expletive) you want to do with the money,” Dawkins made reference to one basketball player at UA who had already received payments, saying “we got no expenses there,” according to the complaint.

And that this dirty agent was well connected to the coaching staff

Dawkins told the group, “I can go to (UA’s basketball) practices like I’m on the team. … The coaches, that’s easy, that’s the easiest thing because they all, I know them all anyway. We’re friends,” according to the complaint.

Dawkins told the agent that if this deal was made, “the leverage I have with the program would be ridiculous at that point,” and that UA head coach Sean Miller “is talking out of his mouth, he wants (the player) bad as (expletive,)” the complaint says.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 09-27-2017 at 06:59 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 07:08 AM

Miami appears to have gotten in a high-stakes bidding war with Arizona for five-star uncommitted prospect Nassir Little according to FBI complaints made public on Tuesday.

FBI Probe Indicates Miami in Bidding War For 5-Star Prospect Nassir Little

Big problems for those two schools.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:24 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Do realize that in addition to the violations of FEDERAL LAW, the three coaches working at PUBLIC universities may have also violated STATE LAW.

If the assistant coaches are found guilty of all charges, they face a penalty of up to 80 years in prison. However, the federal prosecutors usually will reduce the charges (and potential sentences) for those defendants who cooperate with their investigation. In other words, when these four assistant coaches start to cooperate, they will probably be ready to implicate their head coaches, their other colleagues, and possibly some of the "big name" recruits.

This is going to be a lot more interesting than the basketball season itself!!

Old 09-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Do realize that in addition to the violations of FEDERAL LAW, the three coaches working at PUBLIC universities may have also violated STATE LAW.

If the assistant coaches are found guilty of all charges, they face a penalty of up to 80 years in prison. However, the federal prosecutors usually will reduce the charges (and potential sentences) for those defendants who cooperate with their investigation. In other words, when these four assistant coaches start to cooperate, they will probably be ready to implicate their head coaches, their other colleagues, and possibly some of the "big name" recruits.

This is going to be a lot more interesting than the basketball season itself!!
I agree. The feds have all the leverage.

I imagine the big recruits already named will never play college ball. The will play pro for a year out of the country. If it snowballs into a lot more names it could really alter the season and next.

In my estimation that if we are aware of a few players and a few schools doing this its likely that all schools that get the 5 start McDonald All Americans are doing it too.

These elite kids while they are in high school play for these AAU teams and various all star games. The get to know each other, become friends. They all have to know that there is money waiting for them in college. Many come from tough backgrounds. If they know its possible to get $20K or $100K just for playing at a particular university why would the go to a school that is not paying them? It would make no sense to pass that up.

This could be the sports story of the decade. It depends on how far the feds take this and what the NCAA will do about it.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:41 PM

6 posts, read 3,879 times
If they actually dig into this, pretty much every top school will be implicated.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
The whole NCAA should be shutdown, it's as corrupt as the Olympic Committee.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Almost every big time program in college mens football and basketball are dirty.

Not just player payments dirty....we're talking fake classes on a massive scale, hookers or at least booster ho's that do it for "team pride" along with everything from substance abuse to covering up what crimes they can that the players commit.

I've personally heard stories from some big time players that knew guys that got "get out of jail free" instances because of football (college or pro level) that regarded banging underage girls.

Times need to change one would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports