Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 PM

27 posts, read 34,309 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of booking a lot at Toll Brothers Enclave in Apex. There are now few left. A 4400 sft house comes to around 800k. Just want to get thoughts from this group on the particular community? It looks good with all amenities.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:15 PM

360 posts, read 399,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta2013 View Post
We are thinking of booking a lot at Toll Brothers Enclave in Apex. There are now few left. A 4400 sft house comes to around 800k. Just want to get thoughts from this group on the particular community? It looks good with all amenities.

Thank you.
Have you looked at Providence at Yates Pond by Baker Residential?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:51 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
We closed on our Toll Brothers house in 2013. Things may have changed since then, and our price point was about half of yours.

We were and still are quite happy with the construction of our home. Construction went smoothly (though slowly) as long as we stopped in every few days to check that they hadn't screwed something up (wrong floor tile, wrong hallway, etc). From what I gather, the production manager is the key to being satisfied with the process. After construction fixes were completed, but dealing with the guy in charge of that (Rick) was painful.

We have neighbors who are not so happy. It seems that they unhappy ones fall into three groups:. Those that owned TRUE custom homes prior to this one, those with basements, and those who would complain if they got the house for free.

You can and will run up a big tab in the design center. Count on 20-30% more than base price and pray it's not more. TB regularly charges way higher lot premiums than can be explained with anything close to logic or reality. We cut down significantly on our costs by getting stuff done after closing by other service providers. Things like the screened in porch, painting, nicer bathroom fixtures and lighting, wood blinds, plantation shutters, landscaping, paver patio, etc. Stay away from their alarm system company (call Alarm Man instead.)

BUT I'm kinda wondering if spending $800,000+ on tract home in Apex is a good idea. . .

I do seem to remember you asking for realtor referrals? I sure as hell hope you have one. The TB sales agent we dealt with was a bit of a liar and having a realtor was the thing that saved us.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta2013 View Post

Thank you.
Are you looking for a standard box per square foot? Do you plan to live in it for at least 15-20 years?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:09 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
BUT I'm kinda wondering if spending $800,000+ on tract home in Apex is a good idea. . .
... .
Heck, I don't wonder at all.
Why production build housing, when custom build is available at the price?

I would probably go with an MI Home or even a Lennar if lower $$$/SF was the goal.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 AM

:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet:
Quote:
... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Heck, I don't wonder at all.
Why production build housing, when custom build is available at the price?.
Mike, the internet sometimes makes it difficult to read the tone of posts. You're excellent dry wit makes it even harder!

So, are you being sarcastic? I mean, we're very satisfied with our Toll home. But it's tract production built. It certainly ain't a true custom build. TB did allow many changes to make the homes 'customized' to a degree. My understanding is that they aren't as flexible about that anymore.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:50 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
:
... .

Mike, the internet sometimes makes it difficult to read the tone of posts. You're excellent dry wit makes it even harder!

So, are you being sarcastic? I mean, we're very satisfied with our Toll home. But it's tract production built. It certainly ain't a true custom build! TB did allow many changes to make the homes 'customized' to a degree. My understanding is that they aren't as flexible about that anymore.
I was not being sarcastic.
My point is that there is availability of $800,000 custom homes.
Why would one default to production/tract standards?
Your needs were different, and at half the price, you didn't have a custom option.

$800,000 gives the buyer custom options.

Of course, location, location, location rules the day.
The quality of house is secondary if the location is the desire.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-03-2018 at 06:55 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 06:23 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
We closed on our Toll Brothers house in 2013. Things may have changed since then, and our price point was about half of yours.

We were and still are quite happy with the construction of our home. Construction went smoothly (though slowly) as long as we stopped in every few days to check that they hadn't screwed something up (wrong floor tile, wrong hallway, etc). From what I gather, the production manager is the key to being satisfied with the process. After construction fixes were completed, but dealing with the guy in charge of that (Rick) was painful.

We have neighbors who are not so happy. It seems that they unhappy ones fall into three groups:. Those that owned TRUE custom homes prior to this one, those with basements, and those who would complain if they got the house for free.

You can and will run up a big tab in the design center. Count on 20-30% more than base price and pray it's not more. TB regularly charges way higher lot premiums than can be explained with anything close to logic or reality. We cut down significantly on our costs by getting stuff done after closing by other service providers. Things like the screened in porch, painting, nicer bathroom fixtures and lighting, wood blinds, plantation shutters, landscaping, paver patio, etc. Stay away from their alarm system company (call Alarm Man instead.)

I do seem to remember you asking for realtor referrals? I sure as hell hope you have one. The TB sales agent we dealt with was a bit of a liar and having a realtor was the thing that saved us.
I love your analogy of your neighbors!!! Unfortunately, I have to spread the love before giving you any rep points!!!

Old 04-03-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Your needs were different, and at half the price, you didn't have a custom option.

Sorry, Mike, I read it backwards and couldn't believe you were saying tract is better than custom. Mea culpa and bring me another cup of coffee.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:

I agree with you and I too live in a tract built home that we've been extremely satisfied with over the last 5 years.

If I were in the $700-$800k budget when looking for a home, I'd probably purchase a 5-8 year old custom home in Apex. Many can be had in the mid-600k range, which are fantastic homes. I've seen many in the 3,400-3,600 sq. ft. range at the mid-$600k mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary