Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM

368 posts, read 294,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The most important would be facilities for produce & meat.

Before they make a final decision, they need to determine long-range expansion plans. The reality is that there are more similarities between groceries in North Carolina & Philadelphia & Baltimore markets than Philadelphia & Baltimore have to a lot of the more northern locations. The more I think about it, the more logical a choice in Virginia becomes. For instance, Aldi has been selling Amoroso rolls in the Piedmont in NC, but not in Upstate SC.
Since They've been looking in Mecklenburg, I assume Wegman's has an answer for their distribution needs. Just as they planned their five sites in the Triangle area. (I do not know anything specific about looking in the Triad.)

You're last point about Aldi is interesting. I would expect that some items available in, say, Buffalo, would not be available in NC, and probably vice versa. (Limitations on what is available locally.) I note that, for instance, some Coke products are available in NJ but not NC, due to the local bottler (my co-worker across the hall would love to see Diet Barqs here, for instance. I can only find it for her up in NJ.) That affects availability outside of the specific chain's distribution center (I presume products like Coke are delivered by Coke instead of by, for instance, Wegman's.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 04:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
I work for Wegman's and any city should feel special to bag them. They are very selective and the TOP Grocer in Custumer satisfaction and the second best Fortune 500 company to work for. I see no comparison to Aldi's. I do like Trader Joes in more Urban areas too. Wegman's has stores in the Boston, Philly and NYC region and usually affluent areas. I see no problem with them speeding more South too.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:48 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Ya'll are thirsty for that Wegman's juice I swear.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I work for Wegman's and any city should feel special to bag them. They are very selective and the TOP Grocer in Custumer satisfaction and the second best Fortune 500 company to work for. I see no comparison to Aldi's. I do like Trader Joes in more Urban areas too. Wegman's has stores in the Boston, Philly and NYC region and usually affluent areas. I see no problem with them speeding more South too.
Dave, you know what Amorosos is. I cited that Aldi is selling one of their products in the Piedmont of NC but not in Upstate SC. That was an example of a chain marketing to the customers, not a comparison of Aldi to Wegmans. Wegmans is building a store in Raleigh & you know darned well that they are not within the city limits of Philadelphia.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Dave, you know what Amorosos is. I cited that Aldi is selling one of their products in the Piedmont of NC but not in Upstate SC. That was an example of a chain marketing to the customers, not a comparison of Aldi to Wegmans. Wegmans is building a store in Raleigh & you know darned well that they are not within the city limits of Philadelphia.
Of course i know. I read the Philly forum for one and only occasionally reply. Why must one constantly add a specific to Philly posters or its taken wrongly.

I clearly said affluent areas and REGION. Region was to not claim City limits. Why was this some issue with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I work for Wegman's and any city should feel special to bag them. They are very selective and the TOP Grocer in Customer satisfaction and the second best Fortune 500 company to work for. I see no comparison to Aldi's. I do like Trader Joes in more Urban areas too. Wegman's has stores in the Boston, Philly and NYC region and usually affluent areas. I see no problem with them speeding more South too.
Trader Joe's should be a more visible store in Center City Philly. They clearly (to me) opinion alone .... more a grocer geared to young Professionals.
King of Prussia PA (just outside of Philly) is a higher-end region with high-end Flagship stores in its Mall. Certainly why Wegman's chose that area. I'm fine ..... if you do not want Philly to have credit for having a Wegman's at its doorstep....

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 6,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
They were thinking, why are you always so quick to be negative.

The main entrance to the main row of the center is going to be one way in and one way out from Wake Forest Road. Additionally they are going to share and extend Wake Towne Drive with the neighboring shopping center to the North (Holly Park) that houses Trader Joe's. Wake Towne Drive will be extended to Industrial Drive which provides a secondary means of ingress/egress. There's already a signal at Wake Forest Road with Wake Towne Drive and already a signal at Six Forks Road with Industrial Drive.

Additionally they are adding a connection between the new shopping center and the existing one to the South that houses the Lifetime Fitness, Papa John's, Applebee's, etc.

Side note and completely unrelated, here's the list of currently leased tenants:

Finally, here's a good rendering:
It looks like you're getting a two level store so you will have the shopping cart escalator. You're going to LOVE Wegmans.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:57 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Anthony View Post
It looks like you're getting a two level store so you will have the shopping cart escalator. You're going to LOVE Wegmans.
We lived near Fredericksburg, VA and they had a two-level store there as well. However, the second floor only encompassed a small area and had tables for dining, a large kids area (where they showed movies every week) and an outdoor patio with some tables, as well. Although they did have an elevator, I don't remember any carts in the upstairs area.

ETA: Here are a couple of pictures of the upstairs are from the Leesburg store, which is very similar.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Yep. That's the way the Dulles store is as well.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:17 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Anthony View Post
Meh, I'm not one of those people that really cares about grocery store experiences. That and people say the same silly stuff about every chain that's come here. It's a grocery store.

That and I don't live anywhere near any of the proposed locations.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
I adore Wegmans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary