Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 06:32 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I hope he knows there is not a “North Carolina” element – there are Eastern and Western styles which are distinctly different.

In the interest of full disclosure, do you have any connections or financial interest in the success of the restaurant?

I was pleasantly surprised by City BBQ (out of Ohio), so I will definitely give them a try when they open.
No I don’t have any connections ... I just often get excited when many new restaurants come into the county ... especially non chain restaurants . And yes City BBQ does their brand of BBQ very well ... and it’s often crowded in there .

But y’all keep complaining about “outsiders” not hijacking our BBQ while sitting idly by allowing transplants hijack your local government and county jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I was going to say - City BBQ seems to be holding up just fine for not being NC BBQ (my coworkers love going there for lunch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Smokey's, Q Shack, and Danny's don't do NC style BBQ but they have been around for a long time. City BBQ is pretty new and they're killing it. The one in Durham is always busy when I've been there.

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
These people...
They come in from out of town with their fancy-shmancy frou-frou food ideas and the next thing you know, they're messin' with our wimmen...
Lol ...

darn tootin... gotta keep em all from ‘round here .

Last edited by UserNamesake; 05-08-2018 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:43 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Respectfully, I'm not sure there's a long line of people waiting for better BBQ 'round here. I like keeping the regional styles in their respective regions, it makes it that much more special to visit places like Texas or Kansas/Missouri.

And we have awesome BBQ options already aplenty around the area, I barely get to those with enough frequency.
Personally I feel like we are in a BBQ wasteland in the Triangle, with fantastic 'que to the east and west of us but nothing at that level in our area. The answer to that, for me, doesn't seem to be getting a KC or Texas style joint, but instead getting someone like the Jones family to expand to this area. They'd make a killing. I know so many people that have taken long day trips just to eat good BBQ. I know I've driven an hour or more out of my way when heading east just to swing by Ayden.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:00 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Personally I feel like we are in a BBQ wasteland in the Triangle, with fantastic 'que to the east and west of us but nothing at that level in our area. The answer to that, for me, doesn't seem to be getting a KC or Texas style joint, but instead getting someone like the Jones family to expand to this area. They'd make a killing. I know so many people that have taken long day trips just to eat good BBQ. I know I've driven an hour or more out of my way when heading east just to swing by Ayden.
This is how I feel as well. Whenever people come visit me and ask me to take them to get NC BBQ, I usually can't really think of a good place around here.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:27 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Quote:
This is how I feel as well. Whenever people come visit me and ask me to take them to get NC BBQ, I usually can't really think of a good place around here.
Allen and Son, between CH and Hillsborough. Outstanding 'Q!

Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah the “authentic” places are largely east of here ... surprisingly none ventured up into the Triangle. Meanwhile, our good ol Smithfields chain is tiptoeing into Western territory, and fairing pretty well.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Allen and Son, between CH and Hillsborough. Outstanding 'Q!
Also Hillsborough BBQ Company (Hillsborough), The Pig (Chapel Hill), Picnic (Durham), and Stephenson's (Willow Spring). I'll also say for as much crap as people give The Pit for being too fancy, their food is pretty solid, especially in this post Ed Mitchell era.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Yeah the “authentic” places are largely east of here ... surprisingly none ventured up into the Triangle. Meanwhile, our good ol Smithfields chain is tiptoeing into Western territory, and fairing pretty well.
Allen and Son is authentic as it gets.

https://www.ourstate.com/allen-son-barbeque/

Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Yeah the “authentic” places are largely east of here ... surprisingly none ventured up into the Triangle.
My hunch is that when you try to market to a different area you lose some of that authenticity. All of the good BBQ places have a founder and/or pitmaster who put their name on that food every day and would never sacrifice the heart and soul to make another buck. If the owner is making a good living doing what they love, why expand to Raleigh to deal with the headaches of serving a bunch of northeast transplants?

Look at the sell outs - I always see "The Pit" on these lists and their food is average at best. I'm a northeast transplant and even I know that's not how BBQ is supposed to be done - it's the proverbial "putting lipstick on a pig". It's not horrible food, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day it's nothing more than Smithfields on a porcelain plate.

I don't think BBQ and fine china are a match.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
...I'll also say for as much crap as people give The Pit for being too fancy, their food is pretty solid, especially in this post Ed Mitchell era.

Thank you for being reasonable ... The Pit is absolutely fine. I beleive there are often other variables at play outside of taste when people berate more contemporary ‘cue spots.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:21 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I like bbq but don’t see myself driving there just to get it. But I’m also kind of lazy when it comes to eating...if it’s not within 20 minutes I’m probably not going to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary