Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM
DPK DPK started this thread

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times

Advertisements

So according to this page:
https://www.apexnc.org/563/Yard-Waste-Collection

...it appears that yard waste is collected by truck and leaves/clippings/weeds/etc in particular are collected via a vacuum truck. My question is, can I put that stuff in a bin for the truck to vacuum up/out of or do I have to curb/dump everything into the gutter like a crazy person?

I know it says to not bag, but something feels "dirty" about dumping a pile of lawn clippings in my street. What if I only have like a small pile of weeds? It seems like it'd make more sense to put them in a plastic bin to be sucked out of, but I'm new to this whole "having a yard" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 06:14 PM

595 posts, read 677,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
So according to this page:
https://www.apexnc.org/563/Yard-Waste-Collection

...it appears that yard waste is collected by truck and leaves/clippings/weeds/etc in particular are collected via a vacuum truck. My question is, can I put that stuff in a bin for the truck to vacuum up/out of or do I have to curb/dump everything into the gutter like a crazy person?

I know it says to not bag, but something feels "dirty" about dumping a pile of lawn clippings in my street. What if I only have like a small pile of weeds? It seems like it'd make more sense to put them in a plastic bin to be sucked out of, but I'm new to this whole "having a yard" thing.
They will not suck it out of a bin. You gotta be a crazy person and dump it on the curb.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
You gotta be a crazy person

Old 05-17-2018, 06:46 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
The vacuum arm is operated by the driver from within the cab of the truck, they aren't going to be able to suck debris out of a bin or can.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
they aren't going to be able to suck debris out of a bin or can.
What about out of a porcelain bathtub painted to look like Flipper?

Old 05-18-2018, 06:50 AM

430 posts, read 626,774 times
Obviate the problem and mulch them... Recycle Your Grass Clippings. It'll help turn that North Carolina clay into topsoil.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:16 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
Obviate the problem and mulch them... Recycle Your Grass Clippings. It'll help turn that North Carolina clay into topsoil.
I think it takes a hella long time to build top soil from grass clippings. Over a decade of mulching I saw very little change in my soil at my previous home. That said, I'm sure there is something to keeping the nutrients in place and it is certainly easier than bagging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary