Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:45 AM

38 posts, read 56,855 times

Advertisements

What about Wendell? 20 min drive on the highway to RTP. When I was house hunting your money seems to go a lot further there than knightdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 06:01 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
One of the best parts about Sanford is its location, you're about equidistant from Greensboro, Durham, Fayetteville and Southern Pines.
It takes me roughly 25 minutes to get to Southern Pines, about 30-35 to Fayetteville or Apex, 40-45 to Raleigh and Greensboro and just shy of an hour to downtown Durham.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:59 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman2 View Post
What about Wendell? 20 min drive on the highway to RTP. When I was house hunting your money seems to go a lot further there than knightdale.
I have never made it to Wendell from (almost) RTP. Even driving 75-80 mph early on a Saturday morning.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think Hillsborough is pretty nicely situated, too, and closer to RTP (about 25 min) than Sanford.

I can't see much of anything Sanford has going for it in your situation compared to Hillsborough. Hillsborough is much smaller (pop 6,568), better schools, closer to RTP, Durham, Chapel Hill, same distance to Raleigh as Sanford. Housing may be a little cheaper in Sanford, but I'm sure you could get something comparable to what you have in Apex in Hillsborough.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Hillsborough is pretty quintessential small town in all the good ways.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:19 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Respectfully I ask, at what time of day is this even possible?

We visited Wendell Falls on a Saturday and it took more than 20 minutes to drive to RTP. I estimated that it would take 45-60 minutes to make that drive during traditional work days, even when leaving at 7:00 AM. It was one of the reasons we decided to not consider buying a new home there.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 AM

678 posts, read 737,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

We visited Wendell Falls on a Saturday and it took more than 20 minutes to drive to RTP. I estimated that it would take 45-60 minutes to make that drive during traditional work days, even when leaving at 7:00 AM. It was one of the reasons we decided to not consider buying a new home there.

My guess is around 5-7AM, I live in RTP area, and traffic picks up significantly after 7AM. If you're able to get in early and leave early, you can beat the rush. Although it would probably still be at least 30 min trip from RTP to Wendell

Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
My guess is around 5-7AM, I live in RTP area, and traffic picks up significantly after 7AM. If you're able to get in early and leave early, you can beat the rush. Although it would probably still be at least 30 min trip from RTP to Wendell

Yeah I think that's a bit of BS. Even if you left at 5:00 in the morning the drive is at least going to be 40 minutes in the best conditions.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:27 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikael View Post
My wife and I have lived in Apex for the past 10 years. I currently work in RTP. When we first moved to Apex we loved the small town feel. Over the years it has grown so much and the cost of living has gone up quite a bit as well. We are currently looking for a nice small town where we can rent a house and have a nice yard for our two young children. We have looked at Holly Springs, Fuquay, Clayton, Wendell, Knightdale, Wake Forest and Sanford. I don't mind the commute in return for the quiet, peace of mind and a backyard that won't cost a fortune. Are there any areas we're leaving out?

Also, Sanford seems to be the best bang for our buck. I don't know much about it though. Is it a safe area? I realize there's not much there and I'm ok with that as long as it's safe. We both grew up in small towns and miss that feel.
There are reasons Sanford has low Real Estate values. The schools are terrible and the local populace doesn't seem concerned with improving them. There is a lot of gang and drug activity for such a small town, which drives a high violent crime rate. If the RDU area has armpits, Sanford is one of them.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:50 PM

626 posts, read 625,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There are reasons Sanford has low Real Estate values. The schools are terrible and the local populace doesn't seem concerned with improving them. There is a lot of gang and drug activity for such a small town, which drives a high violent crime rate. If the RDU area has armpits, Sanford is one of them.
I live just outside Sanford in Barnett County and I love it here. The neighborhood we are in is great and the schools are ok. We moved out from CA to here(i am from Greensboro) the only thing my wife misses is close Filipino food. But it's about 45 mins to RTP on the 1 from where I live at now.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 27,731 times
Have you thought about Pinehurst? The commute is a little farther, but it is an adorable/safe small town with lots of special events for families. The city has great public and private school options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary