Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,282 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in Eastern NC been successful in opting out of the smart meters?
Or anyone around the state, specifically those getting power through Electrcities?

Last edited by kookie45; 07-21-2018 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 01:11 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
May be a dumb question, but why would you do that?

Old 07-21-2018, 01:17 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie45 View Post
Has anyone in Eastern NC been successful in opting out of the smart meters?
An opt out option is required now.
https://www.duke-energy.com/our-comp...-meter-opt-out

Old 07-21-2018, 01:24 PM

There are many, many people not just in the United States, that are opting out of using the smart meters because of health effects. I just read an article this morning from a guy that says it changes your DNA. If you google it, there is a ton of information out there, from scientist to actual customers that say they have suffered symptoms from them---insomnia, headaches, etc. I am trying to find out if there is anyone locally that has been successful.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Thanks, MrRational,
I should have been more specific. I have been on the Duke energy website and that is not an option for my area. There are small towns throughout NC that get their energy from Electricities, who buys from Duke Energy, I think. It is sorta like a coop I think. I am wondering if anyone has been successful in opting out. I am in the process of trying to.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
There are many, many people not just in the United States, that are opting out of using the smart meters because of health effects. I just read an article this morning from a guy that says it changes your DNA. If you google it, there is a ton of information out there, from scientist to actual customers that say they have suffered symptoms from them---insomnia, headaches, etc. I am trying to find out if there is anyone locally that has been successful.
** Sent from a wireless device **

Seriously though, I admit I'm not educated. How is it different than any other wireless or radio device? And what good does it do opting out if all your neighbors are using them? From some brief reading it's the same technology cell phones use - unless you live on a remote island, you're surrounded anyway.

The American Cancer Society doesn't seem too worried about it: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...rt-meters.html

Old 07-21-2018, 02:36 PM

I agree m378. It is getting harder and harder to avoid the radiofrequency waves. If you have wireless and a cell phone, you are just as exposed. However, the difference is that you can turn off your cell phone and you can turn off your wireless internet when you want to. I actually know some people who do, especially at night. With a smart meter, you can't turn it off. That is the main difference. I've heard that all this exposure will be the "new" smoking", except more people will be involved especially children and the elderly who may have lower immunities. I understand your scepticism. There is usually an event in life, usually an illness, that cause us to pause and take a look at things that we take for granted and assume that they are safe for us because "they" told us they were safe.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I agree m378. It is getting harder and harder to avoid the radiofrequency waves. If you have wireless and a cell phone, you are just as exposed. However, the difference is that you can turn off your cell phone and you can turn off your wireless internet when you want to. I actually know some people who do, especially at night. With a smart meter, you can't turn it off. That is the main difference. I've heard that all this exposure will be the "new" smoking", except more people will be involved especially children and the elderly who may have lower immunities. I understand your scepticism. There is usually an event in life, usually an illness, that cause us to pause and take a look at things that we take for granted and assume that they are safe for us because "they" told us they were safe.
But it's outside your house - and usually pretty far away. Do you know how many other radio waves are outside your house?

Nothing is safe. The stress you're putting on your body by worrying about things like this is causing more damage.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere your body is getting bombarded by RF all the time. Just open up the wireless settings on your phone in your neighborhood. Mine has a least a dozen within range at all times.

As for cell phones do you think just turning it off also turns off the local cell tower that is broadcasting to other cell phones?

There is another post in this forum about ATT's rollout of 5G internet. I admit I am a little hesitant as well.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:43 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Quote:
There are many, many people not just in the United States, that are opting out of using the smart meters because of health effects. I just read an article this morning from a guy that says it changes your DNA.
There have been no studies conducted regarding the health effects of smart meters. If you want to base your decisions on what “a guy” posts online then please keep in mind that these days you can pretty much find some guy’s opinion on all kinds of nonsense on the Internet. Some guy (a doctor!) started the whole anti-vaxers movement, which turned out to be completely false.

So far American Cancer Society has been a rather reliable source of information and they do not classify smart meters as a risk for obvious reasons mentioned in this article: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...rt-meters.html

If you opt out of the smart meter then carbon monoxide produced by a car that would have to be sent to your house will cause more environmental damage than a smart meter.

For full disclosure: I worked for many years for a company that manufactured smart meters right here in Raleigh. We had test labs and everything, much more exposure than anyone else and no one had any health issues. People frequently called the office (from the cell phones, ironically) with concerns like this, which usually gave a good chuckle to the engineers.

If you trust “a guy” online more than World Health Organization or ACS, here is a good article on this: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/david...b_2768405.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary