Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 AM

428 posts, read 810,259 times

Advertisements

I rented a house in Apex for a year, one of the million or so game board homes here, Olive Chapel Rd and Kelly Rd area. I likely am getting out of here in a year and returning to northern Minnestoa but what the frack is there to do here in Apex until then? It seems like all there is here is Beaver Creek shopping, Wal Mart. There is an asphalt greenway nearby but it is asphalt, enough said. I did drive 20 min to Harrison Lake County Park and there look to be some wooded biking trails once the summer heat wave goes away. Everything else seems to always be a 20+ min drive over to Cary or Raleigh. Downtown Apex is about 2 blocks long and not much there. Is there anything beyond shopping to do here in Apex if one is not raising kids? I did drive over to Jordan lake and see they have kayaks to rent, that is something, hoping there is more to do there. Just want to find things to do to keep my sanity for a year, grateful for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:34 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I likely am getting out of here in a year and returning to northern Minnestoa but what the frack is there to do here in Apex until then?

Just curious - what is there to do in Northern Minnesota ?

Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Depends on what you're looking to do I guess? You should let us know what you want to do.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:52 AM

19 posts, read 18,899 times
I've only been in the area for a little over a year, so take my opinion as you wish. The summer months are really boring due to the fact that if you try to go outside between the hours of 9am and 9pm you're going to be miserable after about 15 minutes. I live in Cary, and I noticed that during the Fall, Spring, and even Winter months there was wayyy more to do. More festivals, easier to get out and go for walks at the parks, and even driving over to Raleigh or Durham seemed easier. Since June, I've been pretty bored, but I am definitely looking forward to September/October, and you should too.

But to answer your question..

Umstead Park, Jordan Lake, Crabtree or Southpoint Malls, Downtown Raleigh is fun at times, Festivals come fall time, and of course greenways (maybe some aren't asphalt?). I know most of what I mentioned is at least 15 minutes away in a car, but this is a car focused metro area and its just how it is.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:54 AM

102 posts, read 149,215 times
Join one of the Apex Parks and Rec adult athletic leagues. That way you'll have something to do, and meet people as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:57 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Well, you did choose to move to Apex.

Not slamming Apex, but if I was looking for a real hot time, that's not the first place I'd move around here.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,660 times
Maybe drive to Raleigh or Durham?

Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime00 View Post
Join one of the Apex Parks and Rec adult athletic leagues. That way you'll have something to do, and meet people as well.
I second this. Apex has good adult sports leagues. If you're into that, it's a good way to meet people and have fun. Do you like soccer?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
what do you like to do? What do you do in northern MN?

My nephew moved from Apex to Raleigh after college but if he's back in town he hangs out at Rudy's or JD's Tavern.

What did draw you to Apex? I mean it's family friendly suburbia.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:19 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
I used to live in downtown Apex. Apex is pretty boring, honestly, although I imagine things are at least slightly better than when we moved away. At least where we lived, I could walk to stuff on those two blocks of downtown. It was also pretty easy from there to scoot down 1010 to US1 and into Crossroads or Downtown Raleigh. We utilized Harris and Jordan lakes a lot. Did some mountain biking, hiking and disc golf out at Harris. Took our kayaks out to Jordan. There were a handful of times a year when something somewhat interesting, like Peak Week or the Christmas parade, was going on downtown.

The one thing you haven't mentioned, though, is the American Tobacco Trail. Midday in summer, the sun can beat down on you, but other times it is shady enough to be tolerable. The portion from the Apex terminus to Cary is unpaved, and I like to ride my gravel bike there. It is a rail trail, so can get a little monotonous. I mix up my rides a lot, though, so doing it every few rides, it doesn't get too stale. Good when I don't want the hills of Umstead. And a place you can ride when the mountain bike trails are closed due to recent rain.

It's a shame you don't like riding on asphalt, because from where you are, you can get out on some good country roads for road rides out near Jordan Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary