Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:37 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times

Advertisements

Wegmans announced Thursday that it would be opening another store in the Triangle.

The grocery store chain said it has confirmed plans to build a store on the Route 98 bypass, just east of Capital Boulevard, in Wake Forest.

https://www.wral.com/wegmans-coming-...est-/17946147/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 07:47 AM

494 posts, read 816,499 times
This is very exciting news as I miss shopping at Wegman's. Competition is always good too.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:59 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I'm still frustrated that the location near CTC was the first to be announced, and it seems that it's going to be the last to actually become a reality.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:33 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm still frustrated that the location near CTC was the first to be announced, and it seems that it's going to be the last to actually become a reality.
The development agreement with Columbia was approved at last night's town council meeting. That means they can now proceed with purchasing the property from the state. Grading and development plans begin ASAP next year, with openings for the first phase (which includes Wegmans) aiming for 2020 and 2021.

It was always going to be a long haul...this is undoubtedly the largest development project in Cary's history, so there are a lot of pieces that needed to get taken care of before anything can move forward. Much different from a smaller scale retail development where all you need is to make sure zoning and development plan are approved.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:58 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The development agreement with Columbia was approved at last night's town council meeting. That means they can now proceed with purchasing the property from the state. Grading and development plans begin ASAP next year, with openings for the first phase (which includes Wegmans) aiming for 2020 and 2021.

It was always going to be a long haul...this is undoubtedly the largest development project in Cary's history, so there are a lot of pieces that needed to get taken care of before anything can move forward. Much different from a smaller scale retail development where all you need is to make sure zoning and development plan are approved.
Well it's good to know that there's still progress being made! Thanks for the update!

Old 10-26-2018, 12:32 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Any progress on the Chapel Hill site?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:54 PM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

Interesting to learn they haven't even purchased the property from the state yet. Anything could happen still.... with interest rates going up and real estate starting to "slow".

All I know is I hope phase I of Fenton includes a whole bunch of residential. At one point I thought Wegman's was meant to act as a local area "draw/destination" and attract traffic to the Eastern Gateway from all points north-south-east-west (hence locating just off the interstate very near the major interstate junction of I40-I440). This made sense to me -as I am not sure the current demographics in the immediate area could alone support the store. Now I am not so sure of the draw/destination factor -as there seems to be one going in on just about every other corner. I guess I misunderstood the Wegman's concept; is it more of a "limited presence destination store" like a Trader Joes, Whole Foods or even Ikea, or is it meant to be your common go-to everyday corner grocer? If latter then those Fenton residential units better precede or be right on the heels of that Wegman's.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:18 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Interesting to learn they haven't even purchased the property from the state yet. Anything could happen still.... with interest rates going up and real estate starting to "slow".

All I know is I hope phase I of Fenton includes a whole bunch of residential. At one point I thought Wegman's was meant to act as a local area "draw/destination" and attract traffic to the Eastern Gateway from all points north-south-east-west (hence locating just off the interstate very near the major interstate junction of I40-I440). This made sense to me -as I am not sure the current demographics in the immediate area could alone support the store. Now I am not so sure of the draw/destination factor -as there seems to be one going in on just about every other corner. I guess I misunderstood the Wegman's concept; is it more of a "limited presence destination store" like a Trader Joes, Whole Foods or even Ikea, or is it meant to be your common go-to everyday corner grocer? If latter then those Fenton residential units better precede or be right on the heels of that Wegman's.
The purchase agreement for the property was contingent on the developer agreement...if they couldn't come to an agreement on the plans, they didn't want the property obviously. But now there's an agreement and I believe the purchase should proceed smoothly. All of the purchase details have already been agreed to.

I believe there is little if any residential in the early part. Phase 1 is intended to be ~80% retail with a little bit of office. I believe a small amount of residential is allowed, but I wouldn't really expect any. Residential doesn't kick in until the village green area gets developed in the second phase and then really kicks in for later phases.

Wegmans will be both. It will certainly draw from a large radius, but many will use it as their everyday grocery store.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:25 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"I guess I misunderstood the Wegman's concept; is it more of a "limited presence destination store" "....at 100K sq ft, it's not going to be a limited presence store....the average size of a super walmart is 179K sq ft. Food Lion...avg 36K, Publix...avg 50K, TJ's... 10K, Aldi's....15K.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-26-2018, 04:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

I keep saying Cary comprised of borrowed money (Well, except for the individual who won the lottery but based on statistics that money will soon be gone, too). The mall closing proved it first, followed by Ikea and now Wegman's. Wonder what's next? Hmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary