Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times

Advertisements

yeah, I just meant a docked bike.

pierre - we'd have to go deep down the rabbit hole of numerous taxes to determine whether cars pay their "fair share" for usage, or a fairer share or lesser share than other users. clearly, they do pay something. the scooters right now pay nothing.

further, I didn't say scooters should be kept out of car lanes, that they were reserved only for cars. they're free to follow the rules of the road and use the appropriate and allowed lane. the only rules I know are a) you're supposed to be within 15 mph of the speed limit (on highways at least) and maybe b) bicyclists are supposed to ride in bike lanes where they are present. There are plenty of bikes in the regular lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 06:11 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
yeah, I just meant a docked bike.

pierre - we'd have to go deep down the rabbit hole of numerous taxes to determine whether cars pay their "fair share" for usage, or a fairer share or lesser share than other users. clearly, they do pay something. the scooters right now pay nothing.

further, I didn't say scooters should be kept out of car lanes, that they were reserved only for cars. they're free to follow the rules of the road and use the appropriate and allowed lane. the only rules I know are a) you're supposed to be within 15 mph of the speed limit (on highways at least) and maybe b) bicyclists are supposed to ride in bike lanes where they are present. There are plenty of bikes in the regular lanes.
Haha yeah that's a discussion for another day......

Old 11-24-2018, 06:48 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,798 times
presentation ideas for re-use by local advocates?

https://boingboing.net/2018/09/25/su...rd-scoote.html

Old 11-24-2018, 06:59 PM

35,089 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I grabbed one today from Boylin Heights to downtown. So much faster than walking and they can support bigger guys too.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:56 PM

436 posts, read 671,327 times
I need a translation feature!

Glad they care enough to present to their local PTB. It would behoove them to realize that clarity and adhering to standard English will allow their message to be understood by a larger segment of society.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:05 AM

260 posts, read 638,431 times
I was in Austin,TX over thanksgiving and saw scooters all over. I also used Lime scooter everywhere around Austin. I give 'Big Plus' to portability and access. It allowed me to ditch my car and visit Austin and enjoy that city offers. Scooters left on sidewalks are not too different then cars parked from aesthetic perspective.

I agree it does add another type/speed of object on the walkways. people are in exploration phase and I think just like bicycles on walkway/road, we will get used to scooters on walkway/roads. People will learn to use scooters safely and scooter companies will learn to nudge users in parking scooters safely.

For now, I am all for scooters to help reducing cars on the road.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
I can deal with the aesthetics, but having spent some time in a wheelchair, I think we have to find a way to keep them off sidewalks. That's my biggest issue. Your convenience doesn't trump someone else's right to use the sidewalk.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
Raleigh man wants rider held accountable after Bird scooter crashes into, damages car
http://wr.al/1DhEb

So let's see what happens under the new rules. This will be interesting. Bird is saying they won't give up the name of the rider without a subpoena.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:43 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,478 times
Either the rider or the scooter company should be held liable for damages. See who pays up?

Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Raleigh man wants rider held accountable after Bird scooter crashes into, damages car
http://wr.al/1DhEb

So let's see what happens under the new rules. This will be interesting. Bird is saying they won't give up the name of the rider without a subpoena.
They shouldn't give the name of the rider without a subpoena, but a subpoena should be easy considering he left the scene of an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary