Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 09:57 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
A large chunk of space is set aside for vehicles, yet we can't make small spaces on every street corner for a few scooters?

I'm all for these scooters because anything we can do to eliminate the need to drive a car is a +1 in my book. People who live and work in downtown areas can use these scooters to commute to work or go shopping, etc. These scooters are popular because so many cities don't have good public transit, but people are wanting an urban lifestyle.
I'm okay with designating space for scooters. But that's not how it exists currently. As it stands now, the scooters get dropped all over the place. That is what people are objecting to. Until they can come up with and implement solutions to improve the current situation (including safety issues), I'm not in favor of the scooters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 09:58 AM

385 posts, read 349,038 times
A few years back GoPed scooters were getting popular. Same as these except gas powered. Apex police cracked down on them saying any powered scooter on street was illegal. Maybe that was just a roust. Anything on two wheels seems to irk some people. I've still got my GoPed. Maybe I can get it out and ride it now.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:25 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm okay with designating space for scooters. But that's not how it exists currently. As it stands now, the scooters get dropped all over the place. That is what people are objecting to. Until they can come up with and implement solutions to improve the current situation (including safety issues), I'm not in favor of the scooters.
They can create docks or spaces for the scooters, but that decreases their usability.

Also, maybe it's just a training/cultural thing. I saw scooters in Kansas City from two different companies, but they were neatly placed on the edge of the sidewalk or on corners with larger spaces.

Lastly, some people ride scooters on the sidewalk because they don't feel safe riding them on the road due to dangerous drivers. Raleigh has some bike lanes, but they could be more effective by having barriers to prevent cars from using them as their own personal lane or parking area.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,292 times
Quote:
They can create docks or spaces for the scooters, but that decreases their usability.

Also, maybe it's just a training/cultural thing. I saw scooters in Kansas City from two different companies, but they were neatly placed on the edge of the sidewalk or on corners with larger spaces.

Lastly, some people ride scooters on the sidewalk because they don't feel safe riding them on the road due to dangerous drivers. Raleigh has some bike lanes, but they could be more effective by having barriers to prevent cars from using them as their own personal lane or parking area.
I don't think that is an unreasonable request. I certainly think Raleigh could do much more with bicycle lanes than they have done. For instance, there is a bike lane on portions of Spring Forest Road, but not the entire way. Lends no confidence for me to even think about taking my bike down this road without those lanes fully available.

As I said before, scooters are here to stay. Some accommodations will need to be made, but it shouldn't be a budget buster to do so.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:43 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
dangerous drivers. Raleigh has some bike lanes, but they could be more effective by having barriers to prevent cars from using them as their own personal lane or parking area.
The other issue is that bike lanes in Raleigh are right up against on-street parking which creates a dangerous situation if someone opens their car door and doesn't see a scooter/bike behind them. There are some streets in Raleigh that have bike lanes but I still ride on the inner edge of them or sometimes on the street if there are parked cars.

By the way, anybody know how expensive it is to buy your own scooter and charger?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:43 AM

806 posts, read 605,069 times
Quote:

Few people use those because parking is such a pain. They are really only for people who need a car for a few hours to go to Costco.

Also, you might be 2mi from the nearest car, rendering it pretty much useless.
It looks like you just got them a few months ago. I see pretty impressive coverage in Chicago looking at the app actually. Have you actually used one? Most of them are 2 person Smart cars and not even appropriate for a Costco run. They fit in the smallest of spaces and perfect for areas with tight parking. Car sharing is hugely popular. If it wasn't, BMW wouldn't be scaling their competing service with car2go. It is ideal for this area where you have little public transport and huge distances between Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill. Scooters are great for bar hopping but not a solution for this area, not even a bandaid.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:58 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Quote:

These two comments sparked an idea that could be PART OF a solution.

As already suggested, painted, designated parking areas for scooters would help, and would give much more/cheaper options than actual docking stations.

But the new idea, in addition to designated areas, is to slap a huge sur-charge, or fine on anyone who parks it outside of the designated area, or leaves it on a sidewalk. At first, it seems impossible to enforce this, but each one is rented with an app, so it knows "who" had it last, and each one has GPS, so it could be determined if it was moved after the rental session ended.

So it may cost a few bucks (or whatever) to rent one, but $10 if it's left outside a designated space (bikes already do this) and $50 or $100 if left on a public walkway or roadway, for example.

That would certainly aid in the "Training/cultural thing".

Old 10-24-2018, 11:06 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
A large chunk of space is set aside for vehicles, yet we can't make small spaces on every street corner for a few scooters?

I'm all for these scooters because anything we can do to eliminate the need to drive a car is a +1 in my book. People who live and work in downtown areas can use these scooters to commute to work or go shopping, etc. These scooters are popular because so many cities don't have good public transit, but people are wanting an urban lifestyle.

Few people use those because parking is such a pain. They are really only for people who need a car for a few hours to go to Costco.

Also, you might be 2mi from the nearest car, rendering it pretty much useless.
Sure, space can be set aside for scooters. In theory, for street parking, the people driving cars are already paying for that space through gas taxes and parkingmfees. Who will pay for space for the scooters? These companies want to come in and make money using publicly owned resources without contributing a dime.

Honestly, I'd be in favor of more bike racks generally and if done correctly, there can be an allotted area for scooters and maybe motorcycles too. You could take half a parking spot on every block downtown. But again, there is still a cost, both in doing it and lost revenue from that spot.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:12 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Sure, space can be set aside for scooters. In theory, for street parking, the people driving cars are already paying for that space through gas taxes and parkingmfees. Who will pay for space for the scooters? These companies want to come in and make money using publicly owned resources without contributing a dime.

Honestly, I'd be in favor of more bike racks generally and if done correctly, there can be an allotted area for scooters and maybe motorcycles too. You could take half a parking spot on every block downtown. But again, there is still a cost, both in doing it and lost revenue from that spot.
Under the proposed agreement between the city and scooter companies, the scooter companies would pay for a yearly encroachment license on a per/scooter basis (I believe). Also Bird is offering to donate $1/day per scooter to the cities to help fund infrastructure needs. Furthermore, the city is negotiating to be able to get data from the scooter companies about the origin-destination of trips which would be valuable information in planning/prioritizing any transportation needs by seeing where people are mostly riding.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:56 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
This all sounds swell when the temps are 60* and it's sunny.

I wonder how many will be out braving it when it drops into the 20's-40's over the winter and rainy.

My guess is, the scooters will mostly sit all winter and most of the peak summer, leaving maybe five months of possible usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary