Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:59 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The problem with setting up "stations" for the scooters as well is that it takes away the flexibility of being able to travel directly to your destination. Currently, the downfall of a docked system such as the bike share system that Raleigh is about to launch is that you can ride to a station but still have to walk to your final destination. Or there might not even be a station close to your destination! Those are some issues that the scooters can fill in for those who a docked system might not work out well for. Currently, the Raleigh city council proposes suggests not allowing scooter parking where there isn't a sidewalk, which is a lot of residential neighborhoods.

I do think that it'll be good to set up parking spots for really popular destinations - you can easily take away one parking spot for a whole bunch of scooters to reduce the clutter. Just don't think it should be mandatory, just encouraged where it is available.
I get this, and from a practical perspective, I agree.

A "possible" solution is to set up many drop zones. Think about Domino's new ad campaign where they have Pizza delivery zones. The same concept could be used for dropping and finding scooters. It eliminates the cost and restrictiveness of docking stations, but also allows them to be "almost anywhere". I mean, they could put these things on every third street-corner, or whatever, and could paint some lines (with city approval) so they are not scattered everywhere.

I'm not saying this is THE solution, but with a little creativity the problem can be mostly solved. We nust need to see what the needs of the company are, and the needs of the city, and ESPECIALLY the needs of the users. It takes a little extra work, but a mutually beneficial compromise to call can be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 01:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The problem with setting up "stations" for the scooters as well is that it takes away the flexibility of being able to travel directly to your destination. Currently, the downfall of a docked system such as the bike share system that Raleigh is about to launch is that you can ride to a station but still have to walk to your final destination. Or there might not even be a station close to your destination! Those are some issues that the scooters can fill in for those who a docked system might not work out well for. Currently, the Raleigh city council proposes suggests not allowing scooter parking where there isn't a sidewalk, which is a lot of residential neighborhoods.

I do think that it'll be good to set up parking spots for really popular destinations - you can easily take away one parking spot for a whole bunch of scooters to reduce the clutter. Just don't think it should be mandatory, just encouraged where it is available.

If people would do this and not leave them in the middle of the sidewalk where we have to dodge them that’s be fine. But when I have to jump over hurdles to go on a walk it’s a problem. And I can’t imagine any in a wheelchair can possibly get around them when parked on the sidewalk. So unless people can use them responsibly they need more regulation on where they can and cannot be parked.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:11 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Perhaps a small discount if the scooter is returned to an official drop zone (and perhaps plugged in so it's fully charged for the next user).

Old 10-22-2018, 01:16 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I get this, and from a practical perspective, I agree.

A "possible" solution is to set up many drop zones. Think about Domino's new ad campaign where they have Pizza delivery zones. The same concept could be used for dropping and finding scooters. It eliminates the cost and restrictiveness of docking stations, but also allows them to be "almost anywhere". I mean, they could put these things on every third street-corner, or whatever, and could paint some lines (with city approval) so they are not scattered everywhere.

I'm not saying this is THE solution, but with a little creativity the problem can be mostly solved. We nust need to see what the needs of the company are, and the needs of the city, and ESPECIALLY the needs of the users. It takes a little extra work, but a mutually beneficial compromise to call can be found.
This is what a couple groups in Cincinnati did - https://www.buildwithyard.com/blog/2018/8/15/bird-cages

I think there's some interest in doing that here in Raleigh. People are waiting for city council to officially give their blessing though before putting the paint down.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:44 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

Image/oldmanyellsatcloud-350jpg

you don't say...

Old 10-22-2018, 04:13 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Not necessarily but your language is very "curmudgeon-y" ... that happens here a lot.
What was "Curmudgeon-y" about my language?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:01 PM

436 posts, read 671,243 times
I was driving through downtown Friday afternoon. I saw dozens of them parked along the sidewalks in ways that impeded foot traffic. Only saw 2-3 parked in a thoughtful manner.

I saw over a dozen being used or in the process of beginning to be used. No one had a helmet. Everyone was zipping along on the sidewalks. These scooters were going fast, weaving around pedestrians, many of whom appeared quite startled. One person was a recognizable adult who was setting up his (possible) elementary aged daughter on her own scooter. The rest appeared between 14 - 21.

For a company to simply dump this number of vehicles into a situation with:
* no warning of the municipality
*no docking system
*no monitoring of safety concerns

is simply irresponsible, greedy and lacking in basic good neighbor ethics.

The scooter company creates situations which may need governance in every city they dump the things in. Since they lacked the maturity to begin dialogue before creating the situation it seems that legal action may be the only way to get their attention and cooperation.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Coming soon: dash cams for scooters!

Old 10-23-2018, 08:43 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,782 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_d7EIaXV4

Speaking of scooters (a little off topic, but still)

Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
If people would do this and not leave them in the middle of the sidewalk where we have to dodge them that’s be fine. But when I have to jump over hurdles to go on a walk it’s a problem. And I can’t imagine any in a wheelchair can possibly get around them when parked on the sidewalk. So unless people can use them responsibly they need more regulation on where they can and cannot be parked.
That really seems like exaggeration but ok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary